Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

any reviews of the Samson B-TM stock?

15K views 57 replies 14 participants last post by  rommelrommel 
#1 ·

https://www.samson-mfg.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=10-00037-00

anybody had their hands on one of these yet?

my nephew has fallen in love with the factory folding stock that I put on my Mini-14 Ranch Rifle, and I made the mistake of showing him the pic above...so of course, he wants one for another 10/22 build (his second 10/22, but first build of his own)

tried talking him into just a wood handguard for a simple first build, but he said he would like the folder and a wood handguard

See less See more
#19 ·
well, I just ordered one of these stocks from Ruger..they have them on sale for their 10/22 Ruger Day celebration

since my nephew hasn't made up his mind yet as to whether he wants it or not, it may go towards a build to match my folding mini

now, I just have to go on the hunt for a handguard, preferably walnut, a silver barrel band, and a sling to finish it off

#20 ·
I have had a bought on sale 10/22 carbine in its original box in my basement for about 2 years waiting for my next project, and ordered one of these stocks when I saw this thread. Delivery time hasn't speeded up any; they notified me today that it would ship "in the next 2-6 weeks". I'll have to count them up - I think this will be #5; none are as built, but only one is really radical, a metal folding stock double NFA tax stamp (SBR and suppressor) project. We'll see how this one goes. :)

#21 ·
hey, good luck with your project, and I hope you don't have to wait much longer for your stock to arrive

when I ordered mine from Ruger during their 10/22 day sale, I was hoping that Ruger actually had some of these in stock, that was wishful thinking I know, since I received an email on 10/23 saying the stock was on back order (disappointed, but not surprised)..it's been 3 weeks now, so I hope I won't be waiting very much longer for it

on the brighter side, at least they haven't charged my card for it yet

my biggest worry is what happens if it arrives damaged or defective, will I have to wait a month, or longer, to get it replaced? :eek:

#22 ·
Well, ordered one of these the first week of June, when this thread started, and it was delivered today, 12/7. No wood lottery winner here, lol, but nicely finished and well made. Mated it with the NIB sale carbine stored in my basement, and fit is tight and excellent. We'll clean the bore of the doner rifle well tomorrow and test fire it to see how well it does with the OEM barrel and trigger in a couple of days when the daily high temperature gets up to 50 degrees or a bit more briefly. Then we put it on the shelf until the Kimber trigger kit I'm ordering in a few minutes gets here. After dry firing it on a snap cap about a dozen times, we gauged it for six pulls, and the average seems to be 5 pounds 6 ounces, so it, as expected, needs the trigger kit.

All in all, very satisfied; it will do fine for its intended use, as a truck gun.

#25 ·
thanks for the clarification on the trigger kit..I could only find spring kits when I searched it..thought my google-fu was slipping :eek:

honestly, if it does take until spring to get here that would be OK with me, as I have a few projects going to keep me busy until then anyway...but thanks for the well wishes :bthumb:

#27 ·
good luck on getting it in before xmas

any of you guys doing anything to dress these up a bit to look a little more like the Mini 14?

I'm thinking at least a handguard, and...

a barrel band that has a sling swivel on the side (like this one from John Masen...they also offer a black plastic handguard), might be pretty neat..especially if I mod it to remove the bottom swivel and then replace that screw with something nicer looking than what appears to be a typical chinese phillips head

This post has been deleted
#31 ·
I'm building mine as a truck gun, but I have to say, the thought of this stock and an SS VQ muzzle heavy barrel is really mind boggling.

I finally ended up with a temperamental 10/22 (occasional failure to fire and sometimes feeding problems at initial sight in with the OEM trigger), so I have to disassemble the entire action and do Chaser's cleanups and tweaks as well as install the Kidd trigger kit, so If I don't get all that done quickly, this could get a lot more expensive. I hadn't thought about replacing the barrel.... :)

#32 ·
I'm building mine as a truck gun, but I have to say, the thought of this stock and an SS VQ muzzle heavy barrel is really mind boggling.

I finally ended up with a temperamental 10/22 (occasional failure to fire and sometimes feeding problems at initial sight in with the OEM trigger), so I have to disassemble the entire action and do Chaser's cleanups and tweaks as well as install the Kidd trigger kit, so If I don't get all that done quickly, this could get a lot more expensive. I hadn't thought about replacing the barrel.... :)
it's one of the few SS barrels that I have in the parts bin that will drop into a stock with a sporter weight barrel channel...that and I thought it would look kinda' neat in the folder

#34 ·
All riiight!! I hope it arrives on schedule. I think you'll like it.

Finished my receiver inside with scotch bright and polished up the bolt with a very fine stone, cleaned everything thoroughly with One Shot and put the receiver back together. Installed the Kidd trigger kit last night and put it all back together - 40oz trigger pull, right where I wanted it for this one's intended service. We plinked for about 30 rounds rapid fire to make sure it was running fine, and no problems. We'll bench it tomorrow and see what it does.

#36 ·
https://i.imgur.com/LR7pS9V.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/cPGVmbh.jpg

We shot it, sort of from the bench, today - the fore stock is too narrow to get any side support from the sand bag in the front rest, and with the folding rear stock, there was no rear bag, just my best attempt to support it by hand. End result was that it was pretty shaky, but showed what I wanted to know close enough. We'll have to develop a better system to really see what it may be capable of.

Range, 45 yards in my back yard. 2x7 power BSA air rifle scope, not the highest quality scope by a long shot, but tough as nails, which is what I was looking for in this build. Started shooting about 30 minutes before sunset, so we were a bit rushed toward the end, plus it was only partly sunny to begin with. Two dry patches down the bore to clean out residue from the last session, which showed that the problems were cured, then 10 rounds of CCI SV to foul the bore, then 3 targets with 5 shots each for record. Two of them posted above. Then two more dry patches down the bore and then the same drill for T-22, again, two targets posted. Looks like, with our "unsteady rest" that accuracy is in the 1.5+ MOA range, which is as not bad for a stock sporter barreled 10/22 that can't be properly steadied on the bench, IMO.

We'll work with it some more, especially offhand, but all in all, we think we've met our goal, which was to build a compact and tough truck gun that will stand a life that won't be as coddled as most of my rifles, and we definitely like this stock.

Our gut feeling, based on this limited test, is that it seems to like the T-22 a bit better than the CCI SV.

#37 ·
if it's going to be a field/truck gun, as mine is, see how well it will group with CCI MiniMags..I feel I can go longer between cleanings of the action without malfunctions when using the MiniMags..that may just be a mental thing though, as I've never thoroughly tested this :)

while I have fired my Mini 14/30 Ranch Rifles off of a rest, I never bothered with even trying to shoot off of a rest with my folding stocked version..so I will probably only shoot the 10/22 folder off of field expedient rests when shooting it anyway, even though I think the Volquartsen barrel will be very accurate

#38 · (Edited)
Good thought on the mini mags; hadn't really settled on what ammo was going to be used most of the time in this one, but mini mags would be a perfect choice, given the purpose of the build.

And the groups in my post above are a little tighter than listed on the photos - the dimensions listed are outside to outside, not center to center. :)

#40 ·
Here’s my setup, received 2 weeks ago. Both Samson stocks. Mini 14 is a GB, 10/22 was a new stainless Ruger Tactical...factory 16 inch threaded SS barrel!

Attachments

#41 ·
Here's my setup, received 2 weeks ago. Both Samson stocks. Mini 14 is a GB, 10/22 was a new stainless Ruger Tactical...factory 16 inch threaded SS barrel!
nice pair of rifles :bthumb:

I'm still on the fence about putting my Volquartsen muzzle weighted barrel in this stock, or going with a TI SS barrel..and decided on a lower power 3x-9x Bugbuster scope, just because it's more compact than the higher power version I have

and since I'm building this one from scratch, I still need to get a silver barrel band, SS take down screw, and a bolt

probably make my parts decisions and order the parts by the end of this week beginning of next

#46 ·
I got a B-TM last week.

This thing is a blast. Height of comb works great with Tech Sights. The 10 year old and I had to fight over who got to shoot and who loaded mags. The 10/22 in the stock is a 20 year old Deluxe Sporter. But luckily I had a barrel band left over from one of the kid's 10/22 take downs. It's one of the cheap plastic barrel bands though, so sometime I'll upgrade to a metal one. If I could find a nice looking handguard I may pick one up since the stock is cut for it.

#47 ·
I got a B-TM last week.

This thing is a blast. Height of comb works great with Tech Sights. The 10 year old and I had to fight over who got to shoot and who loaded mags. The 10/22 in the stock is a 20 year old Deluxe Sporter. But luckily I had a barrel band left over from one of the kid's 10/22 take downs. It's one of the cheap plastic barrel bands though, so sometime I'll upgrade to a metal one. If I could find a nice looking handguard I may pick one up since the stock is cut for it.

]
TI has alloy barrel bands in assorted colors

your post brings up a good question..of the two I can find, which handguard is better? or is there another one I should look at?

the John Masen Black Warrior https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004672454?pid=180573

or the Power Custom Power Handguard https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004698557?pid=682436

the Masen looks like it uses a spring clip to hold it onto the barrel (which the stock is relieved for), does anybody know how the PC handguard is held onto the barrel? I sent an email to Samson last week, asking what specific handguard the stock was relieved for, but have not gotten a reply :(

#50 ·
Not the same as the John Masen barrel band, but Samson just introduced one that has a qd sling mount.

https://www.samson-mfg.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=04-04081-01

On the handguards, I've never been impressed with anything I've seen from the John Masen line. I'd be surprised if the hand guard is any different.

I thought Choate made one, but it doesn't appear to be on their website any longer.

#51 ·
I've never handled anything Masen..and since I can't order the barrel band from them any longer, I most likely will go with the PC handguard anyway

I believe the handguard choate made only fit their stocks and with their plastic barrel band

thanks, I've seen the barrel band on Samsonn's site... IMO it's a bit blocky even before you attach a swivel to it, that and the stock itself is set up for the regular old style QD swivel like the original Ruger Mini stock was

I'm not really impressed with the Samson barrel band, since it would have been just as easy to make one with a simple fixed loop on the side of it, to more closely match how the factory folder Mini-14's were set up...especially since I thought that was the idea of this stock even existing

I messaged Samson about their barrel band anyway, inquiring about when a silver finish will be available, (I also suggested they offer a barrel band, handguard, sling accessory package to go along with the stock) and they tell me they will have a silver one available in a couple weeks..

#52 ·
Does anyone know if a "heavy taper" barrel will fit in the B-TM?

I have been looking for a threaded stainless stock and found many bull barrels, but nothing with the standard taper. Without my B-TM having arrived yet, I'm not sure if the barrel fit issue is the full length, or just toward the muzzle end.

"Heavy taper" specs: Heavy Tapered Barrel from .920" at approximately 1.5" from receiver to .760" at the muzzle, it may require of the factory stock channel for proper fit.

Or if anyone can point me toward standard taper stainless threaded barrels in stock...

#53 ·
Does anyone know if a "heavy taper" barrel will fit in the B-TM?

I have been looking for a threaded stainless stock and found many bull barrels, but nothing with the standard taper. Without my B-TM having arrived yet, I'm not sure if the barrel fit issue is the full length, or just toward the muzzle end.

"Heavy taper" specs: Heavy Tapered Barrel from .920" at approximately 1.5" from receiver to .760" at the muzzle, it may require of the factory stock channel for proper fit.

Or if anyone can point me toward standard taper stainless threaded barrels in stock...
a heavy taper should fit with just a little sanding and a modified barrel band..may screw up the balance of the rifle though

Tactical Innovations offers SS threaded sporters in 18.5" (without sights $117.99) as well as 16.5" (available with Hi-Vis Litepipe iron sights ($157.49) and without sights ($112.49)), but they are not in stock at the moment...put your name on the list and they will contact you as soon as they are

Ruger says they have their barrels in stock..for $229.95 :eek:
https://shopruger.com/10_22-Threaded-Barrel-Stainless/productinfo/90568/