Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-10-2019, 04:51 PM
PB1234
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Couple of Dennys Brnos on Gunbroker

At least two and one is the very rare one.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:53 PM
I6turbo

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Stecher: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/842830080

Standard Model 3: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/842967404

These two are penny auctions, so they should be about as good a test as one could get of the market value. The only thing that may hurt the Standard Model 3 is the absence of the classic BRNO rear peep sight.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:00 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Notice how the bolt finish doesnít match the rifle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2019, 11:38 AM
PB1234

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2HB View Post
Notice how the bolt finish doesnít match the rifle.

I had not. Although both are beyond my money for toys and had not looked sa closely as you did I have to say good observation. Do yo think the bolt s from a different rifle originally?
Old 11-11-2019, 11:46 AM
I6turbo

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB1234 View Post
I had not. Although both are beyond my money for toys and had not looked sa closely as you did I have to say good observation. Do yo think the bolt s from a different rifle originally?
There are people here who are much more knowledgeable than me on the old BRNOs, but I believe that finish on the barrel may indicate that it was one of the many BRNOs that were refinished by Aeron. I don't think they refnished the bolt handle. Someone can confirm, or correct me if I'm wrong...

Here's my Model 3 that had not been refinished. It may not be clear, but the finish is a high-gloss blue, instead of a rougher, matte-looking finish.

Last edited by I6turbo; 11-11-2019 at 11:55 AM.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:56 AM
Loke
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
for the sake of us uneducated, what differentiates a Stetcher from a standard Model 3?
Old 11-11-2019, 12:00 PM
mr.big

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loke View Post
for the sake of us uneducated, what differentiates a Stetcher from a standard Model 3?
The 3S has a set trigger

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk
Old 11-11-2019, 10:26 PM
gr8guns

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I see that and drool......nice!

[QUOTE=I6turbo;11667437]There are people here who are much more knowledgeable than me on the old BRNOs, but I believe that finish on the barrel may indicate that it was one of the many BRNOs that were refinished by Aeron. I don't think they refnished the bolt handle. Someone can confirm, or correct me if I'm wrong...

Here's my Model 3 that had not been refinished. It may not be clear, but the finish is a high-gloss blue, instead of a rougher, matte-looking finish.

[/QUOTE

I canít confirm, but I can offer this information. I have a model 4 with the glossy

blue, it was made in 1958. The finish appears to be the original, with some

handling marks. I also have a 1950 model 1 with no import marks that has the

shiny blue finish. I think that BRNO rifles with matte or finishes other than the

shiny blue have been refinished. Whatever finish they have, refurbished or not,

they are great rifles, and very accurate.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:25 AM
timberbeast

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
Since we see so few 3S rifles, it's hard to judge whether or not the matte finish is typical or not. I'd have to see or hear from a few folks that have on to judge.

But as gr8guns stated, even a refinished barrel and action on a BRNO is not a detriment to the function of the rifle. I would expect this rifle to be, like all BRNOs, a very solid shooter.

Being a 3S, and being one of Denny's rifles, it is very cool. I hope someone who knew Denny wins it.
Old 11-13-2019, 12:36 PM
gr8guns

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I have a Stecher.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberbeast View Post
Since we see so few 3S rifles, it's hard to judge whether or not the matte finish is typical or not. I'd have to see or hear from a few folks that have on to judge.

But as gr8guns stated, even a refinished barrel and action on a BRNO is not a detriment to the function of the rifle. I would expect this rifle to be, like all BRNOs, a very solid shooter.

Being a 3S, and being one of Denny's rifles, it is very cool. I hope someone who knew Denny wins it.
The Stecher I have was purchased from Denny, at the time he told me I was the first to buy one, so it is an early one sold. It is matte finished every where except the bolt. The auction rifle is a fine specimen, and I also would like to hear from other Stecher owners.

Curious about the final price, for sure.

Last edited by gr8guns; 11-13-2019 at 12:47 PM.
Old 11-13-2019, 01:10 PM
BrnoForFun
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Final price is coming a couple hours, but it just jumped to almost $2500.00
Old 11-13-2019, 01:37 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
[QUOTE=gr8guns;11668003]
Quote:
Originally Posted by I6turbo View Post
There are people here who are much more knowledgeable than me on the old BRNOs, but I believe that finish on the barrel may indicate that it was one of the many BRNOs that were refinished by Aeron. I don't think they refnished the bolt handle. Someone can confirm, or correct me if I'm wrong...

[/QUOTE

I canít confirm, but I can offer this information. I have a model 4 with the glossy

blue, it was made in 1958. The finish appears to be the original, with some

handling marks. I also have a 1950 model 1 with no import marks that has the

shiny blue finish. I think that BRNO rifles with matte or finishes other than the

shiny blue have been refinished. Whatever finish they have, refurbished or not,

they are great rifles, and very accurate.
That is what mine looks like. The bluing on the action and barrel match the bolt.
Old 11-13-2019, 02:32 PM
jmrybak

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Not too surprising. It’s a nice example and one of very few we see for sale. Do t forget there are only 8000 or so Standard Model 3 that were made too.

A few personal thoughts:

the metal finish looks very original to me. The standard Brno metal finish is not a highly glossed blue. It has a somewhat matte (not talking about parkerized) finish. There have been a very limited number of small runs of some modes that were done in a highly glossed bluing. I have an original example or two. But the vast majority have the finish we see on this Stecher and Standard Model 3. Which makes sense as these were originally designed as military trainers or target rifles.

Also, you can find the target rear diopters for sale fairly commonly. But the Model 3 micrometer sight these rifles have is very rare. I’ve only seen a literal few before. Makes for a nice complete set of sights if you pick up the diopter.

Other accessories are good, the box is not original and wears the CZ logo. Would be even nicer to have a Stecher single shot adapter.

Overall a rare opportunity to buy a nice example of a couple uncommon rifles.
Old 11-13-2019, 02:38 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Original Model 3 metal finish, as jmrybak said not gloss but far from matte.

Old 11-13-2019, 02:45 PM
jmrybak

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
Original Model 3 metal finish, as jmrybak said not gloss but far from matte.

That’s definitely the original finish for the majority of Brno. Looks a bit different between lighting and angles.