Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-14-2019, 11:44 PM
whitearrow

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
455 American chop and thread???

Ok guys Ive made my mind up to shorten and thread my 455 American stainless barrels,22lr and 17hmr,but not exactly sure the optimum length for doing so. I had thought the standard 16.5 length for both barrels as I want plenty of barrel shoulder for the sparrow ss to butt up against. Is there any disadvantage to cutting both barrels to 16.5? I know its standard for 22lr to be 16.5 but not sure about the hummer? I dont mind losing some velo from the shorter tube as maybe it will go hand in hand with the suppressor to reduce the sonic crack of the hummer.
What say yall on this subject please?
Thanks,
Big Ed
Old 11-15-2019, 09:14 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You'll reduce the barrel report with a can but not the sonic crack of the 17HMR.
Old 11-15-2019, 10:42 AM
MacR

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Going thru the same process with my rimfire inventory. I went with 18”. I have a suppressor ready American synthetic 455 that is 16” and the barrel looks stubby without the suppressor. Ballistics are generally fine out of the 16”, purely a cosmetic and balance thing for me. So far have chopped and threaded to 18” my 452 American in .22 mag and my Sako Quad in .22LR. My 452 varmint in .17 HMR is next on the list. My 455, Kidd and Sig 522 were all factory threaded. Once you start shooting suppressed, it is hard to go back.