Foam Core Stock - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-22-2019, 08:02 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I ordered some stuff. Should be here tomorrow. I don't know if I'll be able to do much this week. Hopefully I can get started on glassing so I can let it set up over a very busy weekend. This is all trial stuff for me with the anticipation of doing something real nice (like Gobber's) in the near future.
Old 10-22-2019, 03:44 PM
Gobber
Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This is going to be a cool one Really like the low tech approach.

Couple of thoughts-

1. Make sure you test a section of the foam with your resin and glass to make sure nothing melts. Been there, done that

2. You can really smooth up contours by taking a length of 80 grit sand paper and lightly 'strap sanding' areas - just like shining a shoe.

3. To flatten out an area area, take a scrap of 5-6" wide board, some double sided tape and 80 grit sandpaper to make a flat sanding board. I have 3-4 of them from 40-120 grit that work really well.

4. Resin dye works really well and a little tube is not much. I've only used black but they make all sorts of colors if you want some truly different

Try to smooth the foam out as best you can so the finish of the glass layer needs less smooth sanding.

If you do burn through the outer layer, it's simple to undercut the hole and fill it with chopped fiber + resin . Just like a dentist putting in a filling. Done it plenty with CF.

Keep us posted
Old 10-31-2019, 05:28 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Everything's a lesson

I have some glass down. I'll show pictures when(if) it looks a lot better. The next layer should be much better. Pretty gnarly right now!
Old 10-31-2019, 10:37 PM
Gobber
Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yep, they always look rough before trimming, shaping and sanding. Now is when you learn the tricks of the trade in prep, sanding down and repair of the hickies.
A bit of resin and chopped fiber does wonders to fix “sand through” spots. Ask me how I know
And don’t worry about the rough finish and scratchy fiber finish. A bit of clear coat or just a finishing layer of resin will smooth it all out.
First one is all about learning. My first looked like something from the original Planet of the Apes movie, but at least it fit my ergonomics. It’s heavy and pretty homely, put it shoots well and has held up. Pretty comes later

Last edited by Gobber; 10-31-2019 at 10:41 PM.