Savage A22 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-07-2020, 09:30 AM
RUT
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Savage A22

I've recently discovered the Savage A22 in L.R. and it kind of interests me. In particular, I like the ease of take-dpwn for cleaning purposes as compared to the ubiquitous 10/22. This just could be my next acquisition, unless I hear bad things about it.
Old 10-07-2020, 09:35 AM
56S

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This is probably not indicative of the breed but the shooting buddy bought one that had the lands smeared so bad there was no way this thing would having resemblance of precision. So, take a cheap borescope with you if you plan to buy one.
Old 10-07-2020, 03:15 PM
RUT

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ok, thanks for the heads up. I'd like to think this is a fluke, as I can't imagine a company being around as long as Savage has out out shoddy merchandise on a steady basis. It's all moot at the moment, as my LGS couldn't find a one via their distributors. I'm in no great hurry, so I'll just sit and wait.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2020, 05:50 PM
Kirby
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUT View Post
I've recently discovered the Savage A22 in L.R. and it kind of interests me. In particular, I like the ease of take-dpwn for cleaning purposes as compared to the ubiquitous 10/22. This just could be my next acquisition, unless I hear bad things about it.
I have a Savage A22, which is mounted on a Boyd stock. I use the weapon for Tactical Steel Matches (35 to 135 yards). The scope is a Nixon Pro Rimfire 3-9X40. The mags are a pain for me to deal with as is the dust cover remove /install (it's like the AK47). The question is how does it shoot in that event? It does the job and easily competes with the Ruger 10/22 - I end up up in the top 1/3 of the pack. Originally, I purchased a Savage Mark II BV for that match but working the bolt in the time allotted worked against me hence the A22 purchase.

I use the Mark II BV in Bench Rest and KYL matches. The Mark II is much more accurate than the A22. For example, last week I shot a abbreviated Bench Fire match ( the wind came up at the 100 yard portion of the match and was blowing like stink). Out of a possible 800 I shot a 394 (X=17) on the 50 yard stage and a 386 (X=10) on the 100yard stage - the wind was out of control at the last 2 targets. Not a bad score but there were 6 shooters in my stage and I came in 4th!! It's exasperating shooting against these guys.

The A22 has been a good weapon for me but the Mark II BV is more accurate.
Old 10-09-2020, 11:56 AM
RUT

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
>>I have a Savage A22, which is mounted on a Boyd stock<<

Hi Kirby, and thanks for the detailed response. Were I to go the A22 route I'd be looking at the same configuration, and would probably opt for the "Pro Varmint" version. I'm a little surprised at your comment about the mags. and the AK style breakdown, as the latter is one of the things that interested me. To me, it seems a lot easier to remove the bolt as compared to the 10/22, where the action must be removed from the stock etc. I have a sweet 10/22 I built up from new parts, and it's a real tack driver. However, it's a pain in the butt to disassemble, thus my interest in the A22.

I'm not a competitive shooter by any means, but do enjoy trying out new guns from time to time. I'm not in a yank to buy an A22 but will continue to keep my eyes open for any good deals that may come up.

Thanks again....RUT

P.S. I also have a basic MKll with Simmons scope for backyard plinking.

Last edited by RUT; 10-09-2020 at 11:58 AM.
Old 10-09-2020, 04:50 PM
Kirby

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
[QUOTE=RUT;12050729]>>I have a Savage A22, which is mounted on a Boyd stock<<

. I'm a little surprised at your comment about the mags. and the AK style breakdown, as the latter is one of the things that interested me. To me, it seems a lot easier to remove the bolt as compared to the 10/22, where the action must be removed from the stock etc. I have a sweet 10/22 I built up from new parts, and it's a real tack driver. However, it's a pain in the butt to disassemble, thus my interest in the A22.

You'll be surprised when have to deal with both the mag and, if you have a scope, the dust cover. Regarding the mags - the 10/22 mags are easy to load and a speed loader can be purchased. There is no speed loader for the A22 mags. I've watched the video's and they make it look easy. My problem is I can get the 1st shell loaded but have to struggle with the rest. During a match I really don't have the time to fool with it and wish I could load as quickly as the 10/22 shooters. I've solved the problem by using a cut off chop stick. I push the bullet down with the chop stick and insert the next shell. I've gotten pretty quick at it.

Regarding the dust cover - it's relatively easy to remove. I have a little bit of clearance under the scope but not much. I've watched installation video's and I wish I could get it to snap back in place as easily as shown. I have to mess with it under the scope and I eventually got it done. I have the same problem with my AK47 dust cover.

Boyd stocks: be prepared to do a little bit of fitting - it ain't a drop in for the A22 and they tell you that up front. The problem is located in the mag well. The clip on the mag doesn't want to "click" into place. Not a problem with the Savage stock, which clicks easily in place. During a match when I'm "on on the clock" and have to make a mag change it's a pain to deal with. If I don't get it exactly right the mag falls out or I get a double feed because it's not completely seated. A couple of times I've though about just trashing the Boyd stock but I've got $200 into it and it's a nice adjustable set up.
Old 10-10-2020, 08:40 AM
RUT

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As for the Boyd stock fitting matter, I'd be buying the "Pro Varmint" from Savage that comes with the Boyd stock already in place. I'd like to think the fitting issues would have been taken care of by the factory. And as for the scope getting in the way during cleaning, I tend to use QD scope mounts for easy removal etc.

Most troubling, is the difficulty in loading the A22 mags., so I'd have to actually see/try one to see just how difficult they are. Most of your complaints seem to be related to competition situations, so that would not be an issue for me. However, I still don't want to but a "pig in a poke". I have a perfectly serviceable 10/22 with Magpul stock, so I just might say to hell with spending money on something that'll gain me nothing.

Thanks again for your insight......
Old 10-10-2020, 10:47 AM
Kirby

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUT View Post
And as for the scope getting in the way during cleaning, I tend to use QD scope mounts for easy removal etc.

Most troubling, is the difficulty in loading the A22 mags., so I'd have to actually see/try one to see just how difficult they are. Most of your complaints seem to be related to competition situations, so that would not be an issue for me. However, I still don't want to but a "pig in a poke". I have a perfectly serviceable 10/22 with Magpul stock, so I just might say to hell with spending money on something that'll gain me nothing.

Thanks again for your insight......
Check out these youtube video's - "savage arms rotary mag loading tips" and "how to load the difficult savage B22, A17 etc mags". It ain't only me and it doesn't matter whether it's a match or at the range.

You should be OK with the fitted stock. Once I have set zero on my scope I don't like to mess with it.

My first rifle was a Savage so I like the brand. The A22 is a very accurate rifle and the mag loading is a minor issue that I've found a way around. I don't even think about it at the range or matches.

I shoot against 10/22's, with up grades, and they are no problem. A friend of mine is nuts about accuracy in the tactical steel matches. He started with a 10/22, then moved to a Bergara, and now has a Vudoo - I could buy a used car for what he has tied up in .22 rifles!! What bugs him is my A22 easily keeps up with him at every match stage including the KYL - I can really get under his skin if I drag out my Mark II BV. At the range I can be in the 10 ring all day long at 50 & 100 yards with the A22 and that's more that adequate for steel tactical matches. In the KYL stage the A22 will hit all 8 targets 3 out of 5 times. The A22 will hit 1 - 6 KYL targets 5 out of 5 times. The Vudoo doesn't do much better especially when he senses I'm watching him!!

A Marine instructor once told me "it's not the high quality of the bow and arrow - it's the archer".

I didn't mean to turn you off on the A22. Again it a excellent shooter for the money.
Old 10-10-2020, 04:10 PM
JEC
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Rut, I have an A22 Pro Varmint. I had to do a bit of sanding/fitting on the factory Boyd stock. A bit around the Mag well, and a bit more than a bit in the barrel channel to get rid of some contact pressure points and let the barrel float free.

I was initially underwhelmed with the A22ís accutrigger. However, I found my way to a pretty good, easy, and cheap fix. Look for my thread on ďthe rebirth of my A22 triggerĒ. Iím very happy with the trigger now.

I added some epoxy putty at the rear of the action, and some at the front takedown screw. Not a full-on bedding job; just a bit at those two spots to make for a tight, form-fitting anchor point.

I havenít had the dust cover headaches Kirby describes. Even with a Meuller 40x target scope attached, I havenít had a problem getting inside for cleaning. Maybe I have higher rings than Kirby, which would make access easier.

The mags were a headache. I read a few threads claiming the inner spring is loaded too tightly making them a beast to load, and suggesting the fix is to separate the two halves of the mag (held together with screws) ďunwindĒ it half a turn, and put the halves back together. Those threads were a bit of a confusing explanation, but the job was surprisingly easy and intuitive when I dug into it. The mag is much easier to load now, and still feeds reliably.

As you mentioned, I too have a 10/22 build thatís quite accurate and enjoyable to shoot. Neither of the 10/22 or the A22 Pro Varmint was satisfactory out of the box. I expected as much, and I enjoy tinkering with my rimfires, so that wasnít a problem for me. The biggest difference in my experience with the two was that getting the 10/22 where I wanted it to be involved a fair number of pricey aftermarket parts. Getting the A22 where I wanted it to be involved about $10 and a lot of relatively simple tinkering and elbow grease (in both cases, that cost doesnít include the price of the scope).

Thatís my two cents worth; take it or toss it as you see fit. I thought Iíd offer it up as we seemed to think alike about the Neos over in the Beretta forum.
Old 10-10-2020, 04:31 PM
RUT

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
>>Rut, I have an A22 Pro Varmint<<

JEC...thanks for the reply and your take on the whole A22 matter. I think I'm probably going to do nothing about it, at least for the time being. If I didn't already have my 10/22 "build" I might be more apt to give it a go, but at my age I say "why bother?"

And as for the Neos, that must have gone back a few years since my then Neos is long gone. I tried to find the thread in question, but no luck. That was a funky gun for sure, but like most Berettas the trigger was no great shakes. That's not to say I wouldn't buy another one if the price was right.
Old 10-11-2020, 12:04 PM
Kirby

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
[QUOTE=JEC;12052109]Rut, I have an A22 Pro Varmint. I had to do a bit of sanding/fitting on the factory Boyd stock. A bit around the Mag well, and a bit more than a bit in the barrel channel to get rid of some contact pressure points and let the barrel float free.

I was initially underwhelmed with the A22ís accutrigger. However, I found my way to a pretty good, easy, and cheap fix. Look for my thread on ďthe rebirth of my A22 triggerĒ. Iím very happy with the trigger now.

JEC: Yes, the A22 trigger. How could I forgotten that aspect of the A22 - I think about it every time I pull the trigger!! The Mark II trigger is as smooth as silk at 1.5 lbs. I assumed the A22 would be the same way. What a disappointment when I pulled the trigger the 1st time. I could hear & feel it. It feels like it's loaded with sand and the trigger pull weight adjust didn't work very much! ! I searched for a fix and found your great article but I know my limitations and your fix was beyond me. A new trigger would work but I've put enough money into this gun. I've got the pull weight to 3.0lbs and I just deal with the gritty trigger.

"AT ONE" MAG WELL: I think your stock is designed like mine and hopefully you can help me The mags won't seat as they should and I have the old and new design. Originally, I thought it was the mags. I wasn't - it's the Boyd stock. I should be able to just slap them in as I could with the original poly stock. The problem is the the Boyd metal clip in the mag well that the mag lever click onto. The mag needs to go in just a "hair more". The solution might be to shim under the metal clip but I can't get it out. I've tried filling the edge of the clip on one of the mags and it improved slightly. Presently, my solution is to tighten the hold down bolt under the dust cover and barely snug the bolt holding the clip in the mag well. That's helped. Additionally, I squeeze the mag clip before inserting the mag. I shouldn't have to do any of this stuff. I could go back to the poly stock but I like the wood stock and I'm $200 into it.

I've been fooling around with this problem for months and have hours into it. Any idea's??

RUT ; If you're reading this forget about this rifle. Find another semi and when you do let me know - I'll pawn this A22 and buy it!!
Old 10-11-2020, 02:27 PM
RUT

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well guys...between the two of you I've completely lost interest in the A22, and I thank you both. You've saved me a lot of money and aggravation, and I now have a renewed respect for my tricked out 10/22.
Old 10-12-2020, 01:01 AM
JEC
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Kirby, itís been awhile since I put hands on the A22. Iíll dig it out of the safe and see if I can offer any useful insight. Stay tuned.

Rut, Iím not exasperated to the degree Kirby sounds to be. I wouldnít actively steer you away from the A22, but an out of the box holy grail, it ainít. Itís been a successful learning experience for me, but forewarned is forearmed, buyer beware, and so on and so forth . . .
Old 10-12-2020, 11:29 AM
US Army Veteran

The Conch Republic and the state of Michigan
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here is a thread I started last years, pertaining to my A22 LR purchased 7/2019.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...&highlight=A22

What I think is always best with a gun under warranty, I went straight to the factory with my problem. and they took care of it.

I sent the gun back to Savage a week ago, a problem I think is ammo related, and the repair will probably be on my dime.

Overall, I am content with the firearm. Very accurate with a couple different ammos. I adjusted the trigger to its lightest, and I am happy with that. Yes, magazines are difficult at first. I've left a couple of them filled with ammo for a few months and they now easier to load. Now that I'm used to the drill for removing and replacing the dust cover, it's no problem. Remember, if you bust one, it's a free part. As to whether I would recommend someone buy an A22, all I can write is that I enjoy mine much more than the !0/22 I once built up.

Last edited by RimfireFun; 10-12-2020 at 03:42 PM.