Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:53 AM
rico903
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
95% (49)
Nitro Piston

Have been thinking of getting an air rifle. . I know the Diana 34 comes well recommended. But I was in a WM tonite and they are closing out the Benjamin Trail Boss Nitro Piston in.22 for $132, marked down from $188. Is this a good deal for casual shooting? Don't know anything about the gun.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:48 PM
cwlongshot

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Wink

They are pretty good guns, not as good as a 34!!

I recommend the 34!!

CW
Old 07-11-2013, 08:05 PM
slinky

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rico903 View Post
Have been thinking of getting an air rifle. . I know the Diana 34 comes well recommended. But I was in a WM tonite and they are closing out the Benjamin Trail Boss Nitro Piston in.22 for $132, marked down from $188. Is this a good deal for casual shooting? Don't know anything about the gun.
If you are just getting into airguns, I think it would be a good deal. If you decide you like airguns then it will be your first of many. If after you get an airgun. ( You just dont warm up to them) Then you havent spent alot of money to find that out. Its hard for me to believe, but some shooters that try airguns just dont get bit by the bug.

Good Luck,
Slinky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2013, 08:29 PM
airshot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here is what you will have, nitro vs. 34......The nitro is a good rifle, the gas spring normally lasts a long time, has a very heavy trigger, heavy cocking effort.
Any problems and the rifle must be returned to the factory, heavy trigger.....
Now for the 34, lighter trigger, lighter cocking effort, very close in similiar power, parts are readily availiable, many people that can service them and a better trigger....
All that being said the nitro will be a good first rifle if you can handle the heavy trigger, accuracy will not be as good with the nitro as with the 34 due to the heavy trigger. Cocking effort is greater on the nitro and it has a smaller dia barrel so care must be taken when cocking as you can bend the barrel. Hope some of this helps your decision.

Airshot
Old 07-11-2013, 08:38 PM
Devil'sRival

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought a Benjamin nitro piston not too long ago, at full price unfortunately, and I'm happy with it. The scope isn't the greatest but I've taken down squirrels with it no problem. Its quiet too, so when you find a group you've got a better chance of getting more than one. Just keep in mind that the .22 pellets drop fairly fast.

I bought one because I can't find .22 lr ammo but pellets are plentiful and cheaper. I say go for it.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:54 PM
Devil'sRival

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I forgot to mention the heavy trigger airshot is talking about. He's definitely right about it but there are two aftermarket triggers that drop in. I got the gtx trigger and it is a world of difference.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:01 AM
rico903

TPC Rating: 
95% (49)
The barrel was actually a bull barrel in my estimate and according to box. Cocking was a little hard with my bad back. It did seem pretty quiet, didn't raise any attention when I fired it in the store. Said on the box it had a 2 stage or adjustable trigger, don't remember which. What's the going price on the Diana 34? Do they come in 22?Thanks, new territory for me but I think I could shoot it in my condo-30' of usable range distance. Not sure though. I thought the box said to keep range to 33' but maybe it was yards. The fact it came with a scope was nice.

Last edited by rico903; 07-12-2013 at 04:12 AM.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:46 PM
chuckjordan2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Fired it in the store? Firing an airrifle with no pellet is akin to dry firing a rimfire and have the firing pin hit the barrel. Not good.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:57 AM
rico903

TPC Rating: 
95% (49)
Didn't know that. Asked the clerk if it was OK before hand since it was an open box. Another thing I like about my CZs is that it is OK to dry fire.The more I learn about air rifles the more I'm beginning to think they're more trouble than they are worth. Barrel droop, hard on scopes, have to learn a new way to hold, can't dry fire come to mind right away.

Last edited by rico903; 07-13-2013 at 02:03 AM.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:27 AM
SARGE
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
I bought one of those nitro piston air rifles from walmart and I didn't like it at all. I sold it and bought a Hatsan which I do like.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:50 PM
T191032

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
rico903,

Air rifles are precision arms, just like their powder burning brothers & sisters. Yes, there is a learning curve to them. Break-barrels are not one to be "dry-fired" as they can, in the Spring-piston units do some damage to the mechanism. Not as sure about the newer gas-piston units, but am sure damage can be done.

You are not the first (and likely not the last) to have dry-fired an air rifle without knowing.

Yes, the Model 34 comes in .22 caliber, see Pyramyd's selection of them -
http://www.pyramydair.com/a/Air_guns.../RWS/brands_44

If you want something more for some short range practice, there is a number of lower-power air rifles out there.

Be safe and choose wisely!
Old 07-16-2013, 12:28 PM
Airguy
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by T191032 View Post
rico903,

Air rifles are precision arms, just like their powder burning brothers & sisters. Yes, there is a learning curve to them. Break-barrels are not one to be "dry-fired" as they can, in the Spring-piston units do some damage to the mechanism. Not as sure about the newer gas-piston units, but am sure damage can be done.

Yes. Like the coil spring powered break barrels, the gas ram (gas spring) guns can also be damaged by dry firing.

Paul
Old 07-20-2013, 04:57 AM
rico903

TPC Rating: 
95% (49)
Saw a site somewhere with .22 cal and TO5 trigger that was cheaper. Now all I can find on Pyramid is .177cal TO6 trigger. What am I doing wrong? Not looking to spend over $300.
Bought the Benjamin Nitro piston at WM with scope tonite for $139 OTD. CAn always return it if I find a sub $33 Diana in .22