Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:13 PM
Bill from Conyers
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Marlin "No20" pump made 1907-1922

anyone familiar with this. Just got one and a few parts missing. both egunparts and Jack first show parts. Problem: don't know whats missing and need a schematic bad. both the aforementioned don't have schematics
Old 05-30-2011, 12:24 AM
Sav22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Numrich/GunParts has a schematic - Model 20

I don't like the statement that the model 20 was made from 1907 to 1922 - the 20 was replaced by the 20-S which was replaced by the 20-A, some parts are different in all three so be warned if you are after a firing pin, breech bolt or locking bolt that there are 3 different firing pins, three different breech bolts and 2 different locking bolts for the 'model 20' and these parts might be the same as in other Marlin 22 pumps - there were 5 different firing pins, at least 4 breech bolts and possibly just two locking bolts....but I am not 100% sure...I just know you have to really check the parts you get.

You'll notice Numrich lists the length of the locking listed because there are at least two.

Last edited by Sav22; 05-30-2011 at 12:38 AM. Reason: corrected no. of firing pins
Old 05-30-2011, 09:15 AM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
I had a Model 20 that followed the Model 18 "Baby Marlin", though it appears they were both made for a time. The 20 had a longer, octagon barrel, which I believe was the only difference. There were a couple of different bolts, the original, which was prone to cracking, and a reinforced version. The only place I found that actually had parts was Wendall at Outback Gun Parts. Get your wallet out, though. The buggy whip lifter springs were the part most likely to break, as I recall. About $40, I think. Wendall also has magazine tubes.

Good luck,

TBR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2011, 05:01 PM
vepr762
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
91% (10)
You're 2 days late. I just sold a complete barreled action Model 20a, 3rd variation (the 3rd variation firing pin does not have a spring in it).

I did just list, on Ebay, a mint M20 forearm (with screws & action bar), M20 buttstock with the "S" style buttplate, and the front & rear sight if you need them.

Real sorry I missed being able to help you out. I would try www.dickwilliamsgunshop.com for original parts unless you find an action, on GB,

The Model 20 was produced from that time frame, but like the Model 39 which was produced from 1922-1938 it had several design changes & modifications. The 39 just had either an "S" or "HS" prefix added to the serial number rather than change the Model rollstamp.

Last edited by vepr762; 05-30-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:35 PM
Sav22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDDY BEAR RAT View Post
I had a Model 20 that followed the Model 18 "Baby Marlin", though it appears they were both made for a time. The 20 had a longer, octagon barrel, which I believe was the only difference. There were a couple of different bolts, the original, which was prone to cracking, and a reinforced version. The only place I found that actually had parts was Wendall at Outback Gun Parts. Get your wallet out, though. The buggy whip lifter springs were the part most likely to break, as I recall. About $40, I think. Wendall also has magazine tubes.

Good luck,

TBR
The 'BABY" 18 was a solid frame as were the 25's; all versions of the 20 were takedown frames. The bolts on the pumps never had a problem with cracking - it was the bolts in the Marlin model 39 Lever action's. The last change on the bolts in the pumps was done long before High-Speed ammo became available, but the pumps were all discontinued shortly after so I would stick to standard velocity in them - problems with high-speed ammo might be why they were discontinued.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:53 PM
vepr762

TPC Rating: 
91% (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sav22 View Post
The 'BABY" 18 was a solid frame as were the 25's; all versions of the 20 were takedown frames. The bolts on the pumps never had a problem with cracking - it was the bolts in the Marlin model 39 Lever action's. The last change on the bolts in the pumps was done long before High-Speed ammo became available, but the pumps were all discontinued shortly after so I would stick to standard velocity in them - problems with high-speed ammo might be why they were discontinued.
Absolutely correct, but the weak bolt was found on the 1891,1892,1897, and pre-"HS"(1932) prefix Model 39's.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:08 PM
Dr. Dan

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Model 20

Bill, check your PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:12 AM
Bill from Conyers

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Marlin 20

quote"I don't like the statement that the model 20 was made from 1907 to 1922 " the sparse info I got was from "the Standard catalog of Firearms 2011 version" and I saw that somewhere else. It also said that after 1920 they added the -s-. The gun parys section on this gun simply has pics(bad ones) of the parts and not all are shown. thanx for the replies. this is way more than I got from the Marlin Collectors board. should have known to come here to where the small bore experts really live. Can't wait to get it running. will do pix soon
Bill
Old 06-01-2011, 09:08 AM
Sav22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bill, My comments was not aimed at you, I should have made that more clear - it was aimed at the sources that are out there that are ALL that is available for reference right now. Brophy's book cleared up a lot but was such a large undertaking that it still has incorrect and misleading information in it - he had to rely on many sources for the information.

The 20-S was done way before 1920 - the addition of an 'S' after 1920 is probably referring to the addition to the serial number on some model of Marlin and not to it being added to the Model number. I really do not know exactly when the 20-S came out but do know it was almost certainly before WWI. I always assumed that the 20, 20-S and 20-A all were serial numbered together and continuously - I have had a few 20-A's (all high serial numbers) and one 20 (a low serial number) and assumed the 20-S would fall between these - I finally got a 20 -S and it has a three digit serial number, a 20-S receiver on GunBroker also is three digit - we learn as we go!...and learn not to assume to much.....

Another statement that you will find in the Blue Book and the Standard Guide to Firearms Values is about the Model 37 - they both said exactly the same thing - "the Model 37 replaced the Model 29 and was made from 1913-1916”.. that's the same years they say the Model 29 was made, if it replaced it had to be after that. My newest Standard Guide to Firearms no longer say's the 37 replaced the 29 but still list the dates wrong.

I am looking forward to the pictures - every gun I see adds information. In the last few years I have concentrated on Savage pumps but still like the old Marlins and still am looking for one or two more for my collection....like a nice 29-N.

Also a mystery is the 29-N, this gun has the thicker receiver that came into use with the 37 & 47 and a late style barrel stamp - in my opinion (I'm assuming again!!) it therefore had to be made after 1920 but I cannot find any info on it (and how would I know it was correct if I did?).

Last edited by Sav22; 06-01-2011 at 09:13 AM.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:38 PM
vepr762

TPC Rating: 
91% (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sav22 View Post
Bill, My comments was not aimed at you, I should have made that more clear - it was aimed at the sources that are out there that are ALL that is available for reference right now. Brophy's book cleared up a lot but was such a large undertaking that it still has incorrect and misleading information in it - he had to rely on many sources for the information.

The 20-S was done way before 1920 - the addition of an 'S' after 1920 is probably referring to the addition to the serial number on some model of Marlin and not to it being added to the Model number. I really do not know exactly when the 20-S came out but do know it was almost certainly before WWI. I always assumed that the 20, 20-S and 20-A all were serial numbered together and continuously - I have had a few 20-A's (all high serial numbers) and one 20 (a low serial number) and assumed the 20-S would fall between these - I finally got a 20 -S and it has a three digit serial number, a 20-S receiver on GunBroker also is three digit - we learn as we go!...and learn not to assume to much.....

Another statement that you will find in the Blue Book and the Standard Guide to Firearms Values is about the Model 37 - they both said exactly the same thing - "the Model 37 replaced the Model 29 and was made from 1913-1916.. that's the same years they say the Model 29 was made, if it replaced it had to be after that. My newest Standard Guide to Firearms no longer say's the 37 replaced the 29 but still list the dates wrong.

I am looking forward to the pictures - every gun I see adds information. In the last few years I have concentrated on Savage pumps but still like the old Marlins and still am looking for one or two more for my collection....like a nice 29-N.

Also a mystery is the 29-N, this gun has the thicker receiver that came into use with the 37 & 47 and a late style barrel stamp - in my opinion (I'm assuming again!!) it therefore had to be made after 1920 but I cannot find any info on it (and how would I know it was correct if I did?).
Thank you for reinforcing my opinion that the BB is so inaccurate concerning preWW2 Marlin's that it should be used for humor.

The BB lists a 15% premium for the "takedown" version, of the Model 1897. The only problem is that ALL 1897's are takedown's.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:56 PM
Big Shrek
US Army Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Marlin Collectors, unfortunately, is a nearly defunct board.

It gave me a few helpful hints...but after I found RFC, here I be

Marlin OWNERS.com, is the second-best site for researching Marlins!
Between the two, here & MO, almost everything can be resolved

IMHO, the reason MO is second, is due to the fact that they haven't separated the rimfire categories,
which makes finding individual gun information that is NOT a 39A a real pain in the tuckus on MO.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:25 PM
Bill from Conyers

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No20

I took some pix. it is disassembled right now. the numerich "schematic was no help as to the location of the parts. as soon as I figure out how to post the pix I'll get them up
Old 06-03-2011, 11:36 PM
Bill from Conyers

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
pix

here goes nuttin'

http://www.kodakgallery.com/imaging-...722606/jpeg/SM
Old 06-03-2011, 11:37 PM
Bill from Conyers

TPC Rating: