Considering a Medalist, but............. - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-08-2020, 06:56 AM
Area51guy
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Considering a Medalist, but.............

the cost of spare magazines is causing me to drag my feet a bit. Having to pay $125-$175 each for mags seems a bit excessive! Is there any other mag source available that would be more reasonably priced?
Old 02-08-2020, 07:15 AM
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

My mountaintop home straddling Partei and Palomino valleys, NV
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Beretta Neos magazines are easily modified as are Colt Cadet mags. Neos mags are the easiest of the two to find. There are at least two very good threads on the procedure to modify Neos magazines for Nomad/Challenger/Medalist application.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-08-2020, 07:27 AM
fourbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I got 50 years of pretty frequent use of my challenger with one magazine.

What happens do they wear out? Need a new springs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2020, 09:04 AM
Quiet 1
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Triple K Manufacturing was making replacement magazines for the Browning Challenger and Medalist. I have 4 that I've been using regularly for several years in my two Challenger's and in my Medalist that have been trouble free.

I will add however, that I had to send 2 back for replacement due to poor lips alignment. But, their customer service was excellent and they replaced them very promptly.

Here's a link to their website. https://www.triplek.com/product/brow...er-22lr-10-rd/

PS I regularly use the original mags that came with my 1962 & 1969 Challengers but I do not use the original Medalist magazine. That one stays in it's mint, original, presentation case.

Last edited by Quiet 1; 02-08-2020 at 09:09 AM.
Old 02-08-2020, 09:09 AM
azshot
US Navy NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I agree with the above post, why do you need a spare magazine? Most of my automatics have one, rifles or pistols. It's not like a Medalist is a tactical gun for rapid reloading or anything.
Old 02-08-2020, 09:17 AM
Quiet 1
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by azshot View Post
I agree with the above post, why do you need a spare magazine? Most of my automatics have one, rifles or pistols. It's not like a Medalist is a tactical gun for rapid reloading or anything.
Well, a Medalist is definitely a "range" pistol. And as such, whether shooting in competition or just for fun or practice in slow fire, timed fire, or rapid fire, it's a heck of a lot easier to have 4 or 6 (or more) pre-loaded magazines. YMMV
Old 02-08-2020, 06:18 PM
I6turbo

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Hmmm.... I have multiple magazines but never take more than one to the range with me. I wouldn't shoot a gun that I enjoy shooting LESS just because I had a spare magazine for it.
Old 02-08-2020, 06:37 PM
azshot
US Navy NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yep, all my range shooting is with one magazine. I'm not sure how it's faster or better to feed 40 rounds into 4 separate magazines, or 10 rounds into 1 mag, 4 times. The "spare magazine" thing is a relatively new phenomena. But so is shooting 500 rounds a week, which a lot of people said they were doing during the Great Ammo Scarcity. Personally, I shoot slow, and a heck of a lot more accurately than the "blazing fast warriors" at my range.

Last edited by azshot; 02-08-2020 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:10 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I started converting Colt Cadet mags many years ago. They were $10 each, at the time. Iím still using them. I rarely use origins mags.

The old Triple K mags would not hold the slide back after the last shot. The newer one I have will hold the slide back but the quality is so poor, I have to hold it up about 1/16Ē for it to function properly. Maybe some of them actually work properly.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:27 PM
Area51guy
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Spare mags.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet 1 View Post
Well, a Medalist is definitely a "range" pistol. And as such, whether shooting in competition or just for fun or practice in slow fire, timed fire, or rapid fire, it's a heck of a lot easier to have 4 or 6 (or more) pre-loaded magazines. YMMV
I shoot in rimfire steel plate matches that only allow 10 rds per mag but have around 20 or so targets per stage. Some have as many as 30 targets. So, several spare mags are needed! If all I am going to do is plink then one mag is plenty.
Old 02-08-2020, 08:28 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
The Medalist is worth owning. I would try a couple of Triple K mags with it and see how they work. My newer one works fine if I push up the base slightly. Iíll bet most of them are correct and I got a bad one.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:02 AM
rdas

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by azshot View Post
Yep, all my range shooting is with one magazine. I'm not sure how it's faster or better to feed 40 rounds into 4 separate magazines, or 10 rounds into 1 mag, 4 times. The "spare magazine" thing is a relatively new phenomena. But so is shooting 500 rounds a week, which a lot of people said they were doing during the Great Ammo Scarcity. Personally, I shoot slow, and a heck of a lot more accurately than the "blazing fast warriors" at my range.
Aside from the obvious situation where you're shooting in a competition for which multiple mags are needed, there is also a benefit if you pay for your range time by the hour and/or are limited to an hour when it's busy. In that case, having 4 or 8 loaded mags when you start makes much better use of the short, valuable range time you have, regardless of your rate of fire.

Dave