Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-21-2020, 08:21 AM
RGSIII
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Have any of the 17Hm2's semiautos been successful?

I have a few bolt action 17HM2's and like the round. It seems like the only current semiauto 17HM2 available is the Savage A17. Other companies like Ruger and Volquartsen made them and I have picked up bits and pieces of information that sounds like they were problems with them. What exactly were the issues, if any and is it worth taking the risk in getting one?
Old 02-21-2020, 09:03 AM
Gmww
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My understanding was they had out of battery detonation often.

Out of battery detonation is a term for when a gun fires a cartridge before the bolt is fully closed and locked forward and before the case is supported by the chamber.
Old 02-21-2020, 09:18 AM
Stripekiller
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Out of battery "kabooms".... The 17 hmr semiautomatic attempts had the same problems with bigger "kabooms". The general consensus with these blow back semiautomatic rifles is to keep the chamber very clean. Most of the 17 mach 2 blow back semiautomatic owners have raved of they're rifles accuracy, it's just that there's the scary possibility of the out of battery explosion. The savage A series lowers if not completely eliminate the out of battery from occurring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2020, 10:12 AM
natman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripekiller View Post
The general consensus with these blow back semiautomatic rifles is to keep the chamber very clean.

This is a popular myth because it gives the owner a sense of control. Like most myths, there is a kernel of truth; if you let the chamber get dirty it can contribute to a KABOOM. However, it's quite possible to get a KABOOM with a pristine chamber. I had a customer who bought a new Remington 597 in 17HMR that he cleaned until it shined. It explosively disassembled itself on the fourth shot. Remington rebarreled it to 22 Magnum.

The pressure curve on 17 caliber guns remains high for a long time because of the tiny bore and the window of reliability is just too narrow for blowback guns. Life is too short to deal with guns that blow up.

The Savage A17 uses a mechanical device to delay opening the bolt and is the way to go if you want a 17 caliber semiauto.

Last edited by natman; 02-21-2020 at 10:15 AM.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:55 AM
scottycoyote

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
i also think issues with the early ammo helped with the kabooms as well. Ive picked up older bricks of 17 over the years when the ammo was hard to get, and i still occasionally run across a bad round, split case, bullet seated too far in, etc

i have a magnum research 17hm2 semi, so far no kabooms but i only hunt with it, run a bore snake down it every 50 rounds and inspect my ammo
Old 02-21-2020, 11:51 AM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Tried for a year, tried everything, custom bolts, weights, you name it. It still blew up on 3 occasions. I really like my bolt action 17hm2..

Sent from my LG-K540 using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2020, 12:24 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I like this picture. it shows that if the bolt is back as little as a 1/16 of inch the hammer will not come in contact with the firing pin. if it can you have out of spec parts, radius bolt, a longer firing pin ,a head spaced bolt with to tight of head space. Bill Ruger made the 10/22 so that out of battery would not happen. i believe the so called out of battery that happens with the 17hm2 is from the high pressure of the 17hm2, and it starts to move the bolt back before the pressure has dropped to a safe level. then you can get a kaboom. as to cleaning the barrel ever 50 rd or so , I believe this is a myth, i can go 500rd before i clean the barrel . the savage has a bolt lock to help to slow the bolt movement to keep this from happening . with added
weight,and a detent in the trigger housing to slow it down. i have what i believe is a safe 10/22 and not afraid to shoot it this just my opinion. So take this with a grain of salt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 047a.jpg (74.1 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1166.JPG (165.9 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by 22/silencer; 02-23-2020 at 08:01 PM. Reason: spell check
Old 02-21-2020, 12:26 PM
9x19

TPC Rating: 
100% (47)
Ruger never offered a factory semi-auto in .17HM2... only bolt guns and single action pistols.

Magnum Research, Thompson Center, Marlin and Volquartsen did offer .17HM2s in semi-autos.

I've owned them all, and the most reliable for me was the Volquartsen. I no longer own those rifles, but I do have two semi-auto .17HM2s, and both run Volquartsen bolts in a Ruger 10/22 receiver. I use 10/22 Magnum hammer springs and keep my chambers clean. I haven't had any out of battery issues with mine.

Volquartsen's bolt has the bottom rear of the steel bolt milled away and that portion replaced with a slab of tungsten. That increased weight is absolutely necessary for the blow-back action.

Power Custom offers a replacement bolt handle (better than most of the others) with a large knob weighted with tungsten, and it worked fine for me. I did not have the best of luck with the same type handles that were just fat steel knobs (Magnum Research, EA Brown).

If I were building one today, I'd use a 10/22 action, and I would go with a barrel from Beyer and bolt handle from Power Custom (and replace the stock hammer spring with one for the 10/22M).
Old 02-21-2020, 01:23 PM
night_krawler

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9x19 View Post
Ruger never offered a factory semi-auto in .17HM2... only bolt guns and single action pistols.

Magnum Research, Thompson Center, Marlin and Volquartsen did offer .17HM2s in semi-autos.

I've owned them all, and the most reliable for me was the Volquartsen. I no longer own those rifles, but I do have two semi-auto .17HM2s, and both run Volquartsen bolts in a Ruger 10/22 receiver. I use 10/22 Magnum hammer springs and keep my chambers clean. I haven't had any out of battery issues with mine.

Volquartsen's bolt has the bottom rear of the steel bolt milled away and that portion replaced with a slab of tungsten. That increased weight is absolutely necessary for the blow-back action.

Power Custom offers a replacement bolt handle (better than most of the others) with a large knob weighted with tungsten, and it worked fine for me. I did not have the best of luck with the same type handles that were just fat steel knobs (Magnum Research, EA Brown).

If I were building one today, I'd use a 10/22 action, and I would go with a barrel from Beyer and bolt handle from Power Custom (and replace the stock hammer spring with one for the 10/22M).
^^^^^ What he said is right on point,,^^^^^
Old 02-21-2020, 02:12 PM
nodak
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (49)
I have a VQ conversion with bolt and 16"barrel as well as a Charger with 10" barrel and heavy handle. As well as a few other non semi in 17hm2. It's my pet cartridge. I had one bang with the VQ but I wanted to see how far it'd go between cleaning. Took over 500rnds to get the bang. My regimen is clean each 100 for it going forward which is what I did before also. Seems OK. Now the Charger with the 10" doesnt care what you do to it.

In short I would stick to Savage A17 or bolt gun unless you just like to clean allot. On a final note, I'll be keeping both my semi's and they will still see regular action on the gopher fields

------ I just remembered an important part of my single boomer moment. The screws that hold the extra weight on the VQ bolt had come loose and it was very likely a major cause of my issue. I used break cleaner on the threads and parts and ounce dry I used red loctite to read assemble.

Last edited by nodak; 02-22-2020 at 01:48 AM. Reason: More info
Old 02-21-2020, 07:28 PM
squirrel1
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I wouldn’t own a semi auto rifle in any caliber.
Just me.
I am a bolt man.

Marlin model 60 sent me to the bolt acrionnskdd of the house and fast. Years ago.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:00 PM
m17hm2

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The only kaboom I've witness was a full VQ gun shooting older Hornady. The box was actually marked first run. The first shot blew the extractor and the bullet lodged in the barrel.

With the new ammo, I haven't seen or even heard of any kabooms on 10/22 builds, and I have a couple 10/22 builds that have seen thousands rounds. My main test gun I'm purposely not cleaning as I want to incite a failure, so I can see what's happening and better understand it. That barrel is probably around 700 rounds now with no issue.

The bolts I'm making and using are heavier than what VQ put out, and I like to run them with a heavier KIDD spring. There's eight of them now out in the world and so far no issues. Time will provide more insight.

This all leads me to believe the old ammo was the main problem, but my experience is certainly limited compared to some on here. I will say, though, after taking high-speed video of the different bolts/spring/charging handles, I wouldn't use the weighted handle myself. It visibly throws the bolt out of whack, which I think could have contributed to early kabooms along with the bad ammo.

Now, the A17 delayed action works, but that's about it. The stock is junk. The trigger is junk. It's misfired on me. Not fired. And accuracy is generally poor compared to a good 10/22 barrel. Plus it's a huge pain in the tail to break down and clean. I don't see that as a real contender for anything when compared to a high-end 10/22 build, which is what I want my 10/22 bolts and builds to be.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:12 PM
marlinguy76

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Marlin made the 717m2 semiauto from 2005 to 2009 when it was discontinued. I found and bought one. I researched them and was very cautious while shooting the one 50 rd box through it. I was approached by someone, who had a 917m2 bolt action and agreed to trade straight up. I prefer bolt actions anyway and I'm very happy with my 2005 Marlin 917m2. I never had any issues with the 717m2, but the first time the new owner took it out, he had a small kaboom that blew out the magazine. The next time, after a good cleaning, he had a big Kaboom that cracked the stock. I was lucky, he was not.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 02-22-2020, 08:24 PM
Eric Mayer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I still shoot my EA Brown & Co heavy bolt version with steel barrel. No issues at all, but I tend to keep it clean.

The Savage A17 works great in both 17 Mach2 and 17HMR. No issues at all, but I keep up the cleaning, lubing, etc.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:15 PM
coloradokid

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Have 2, 1st is an eabco barrel, bolt handle and heavy spring, 2nd a first generation heavy bolt from fellow member m17hm2 with heavy spring. Both are kaboom free and regularly go over 500 rounds between cleaning. Have to agree that old ammunition was the biggest issue.