Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-11-2020, 10:54 AM
Bull Nutria

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
SA22 Mechanics I need help!!

I have 2- SA22s I managed to lose both the barrel lock spring plungers! (very easy todo when cleaning the gun) I ordered some replacements from Brownells. They are a real PIA to install.

Is there a trick to get the knife blade edge to aline with the grooves on the Barrel adjustment ring??

I tried a dab of grease but hat didn't help much???

I think I have them install properly but I shoot hundreds of bullets and it seems by the end of the day I have a little wobble between the receiver and the barrel.

any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Bull
Old 02-11-2020, 11:55 AM
OldWolf

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Well, first thing is to read the service manual and make sure your assembly is as stated in the manual.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...service+manual

Get back to us and we can go from there.

Let me say that it is not unusual for the barrel to loosen, once-in-awhile, when shooting large volumes of ammo. My Miroku's will do that occasionally. I don't see it as a big deal.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:21 PM
Bull Nutria

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I do have a service manual for the SA-22. I did follow it. still want to know is there a techniques to get the barrel lock ring plunger aligned with the grooves in the barrel lock ring???

Bull
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2020, 12:37 PM
OldWolf

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Yours is not aligned? You should be able to look at it and tell.

I recall that when I had mine apart I was able to set the plunger in the correct orientation before inserting it into the barrel lock. Then I had to be careful while assembling to keep the orientation the same. That is all I remember, hopefully someone else will chime in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sa22 barrel lock.JPG (38.7 KB, 203 views)
Old 02-11-2020, 01:17 PM
Bull Nutria

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yeah the correct orientation is the trick, very hard to do while compressing both springs and sliding the punger into place. it wants to turn 90degrees the wrong way!!
there must be a trick to this???

Bull
Old 02-11-2020, 01:28 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It's a fairly easy two step process. Here is a video that goes into it pretty well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P32DNtIJYwY
Old 02-11-2020, 03:06 PM
OldWolf

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
That video is a big help. Thanks for posting it.
Old 02-11-2020, 04:46 PM
Bull Nutria

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
it looks like he has the forward plunger upside down in the video, the plunger that is behind the anvil shaped plunger??? shouldn't the spring be showing on top of that plunger?? am I looking at this correctly?? see figure #9 posted above by OLd wolf.

Bull

Last edited by Bull Nutria; 02-11-2020 at 04:48 PM. Reason: added reference to figure #9
Old 02-18-2020, 04:49 PM
Jerryrig
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Question sa-22 springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWolf View Post
Yours is not aligned? You should be able to look at it and tell.

I recall that when I had mine apart I was able to set the plunger in the correct orientation before inserting it into the barrel lock. Then I had to be careful while assembling to keep the orientation the same. That is all I remember, hopefully someone else will chime in.

Does anyone know where to get these springs? I cannot find them at Brownells and Browning wants $8 to shop them!
Yea! I found the spring! "Seek and yea shell find". Thanks for the replies on this.

Last edited by Jerryrig; 02-20-2020 at 04:24 PM.
Old 02-18-2020, 05:31 PM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
It's the ring follower which has to be in alignment, not the part identified as the plunger.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:45 PM
Earplug80911

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Midwest Gun Works MGW

They might have the parts you want.
They have been good for various parts I have needed.
Old 02-19-2020, 12:48 AM
bakeman
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
i used the method in the video but instead of metal, i used a thin credit card with a v groove. worked like a champ.
Old 02-19-2020, 06:56 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerryrig View Post
Does anyone know where to get these springs? I cannot find them at Brownells and Browning wants $8 to shop them!
Numrich has all the barrel locking parts including springs. Unfortunately everyone charges shipping:

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-man...g/semi-auto-22
Old 02-19-2020, 07:35 AM
joe45c
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I took my apart when i 1st bought it. Then made a note to myself to Never to do it again! I called myself sooo many bad names while trying to reassemble it.
Old 02-19-2020, 10:42 AM
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
If you haven't snugged your barrel, do the following...

After you have confirmed the ball bearing and spring and plunger has been installed properly, do the following. And be sure not to allow the plunger to slip off the end of the barrel again!

[B]IF the barrel has some play

Install the barrel and see how loose it is. Remove the barrel. If the barrel is too tight, Retract the plunger half way. -- that is back it out half way so you can adjust the locking ring. tighten it one notch; re-assemble.

Tighten the ring one or more notches and slide the plunger forward to install the post catch in a barrel notch.

Install the barrel and check for secure fit. Repeat the above until the barrel fits tightly with a small amount of effort to place the barrel snugly back into battery.

When you are satisfied it is properly snugged, be sure the plunger is fully pressed forward. Go shoot the rifle 15-20 rounds and see if the barrel remains snugged.
'
If it is not, remove the barrel, slide the detent catch out half way, and see if you can tighten the barrel ring one more notch, re-assemble. Repeat as necessary.

I bought my SA in 1960. I believe I recall having to tighten the barrel maybe 1 notch or 2 on the barrel adjustment ring many years ago. I have removed the barrel and reinstalled it countless times over the past years without having the barrel loosen. It is snugged with no play.

My zero has remained zeroed. The only change I have made is to re-zero the scope if I change ammunition.

I started shooting a family handed down Remington Mdl 24 which was made in 1925 when I was 10 years old -- 1950. I retired it as a teen ager in the mid-50's when the HV ammo started to cause misfires. The barrel was a bit loose, and that may have been the cause of the FTF because I have never identified any mechanical in the action (trigger group)

I was at a notch point where one more was to tight to install the barrel so there still in a perceptible movement of the barrel when the rifle is assembled . But I could hit anything I wanted to with it.

VH