Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2020, 04:57 PM
Hawkeye57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szumi View Post
I have a hand one. Looking at a combo belt/disc bench top atm. Always a place for more wood dorking tools. I'm thinking more heat will get that thing off.
Take a look at my thread.
In part two I show a picture of a jig to hold a hand held belt sander.
One can be made.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1183491
Old 02-16-2020, 04:57 PM
mdew

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The rust removal via battery charger worked well. Hit the buckle with a wire wheel, looked great, passed the wife’s inspection.

For dinner: Grilled Costco prime New York strip, fried morel mushrooms ( that we picked in the spring, battered and froze), grilled Brussel sprouts topped with bacon & blue cheese.
Old 02-16-2020, 05:28 PM
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztarget View Post
Szumi take a thin putty heat with a torch and slowly slide it in should melt the glue.
I pulled the action out of the stock so I wouldn't do more damage and held it over my gas burner on the range. Plunged in a box cutter blade and got it off. Why CZ glued it on escapes my imagination. I can't understand a reason for doing that.

I'll have to post into the 455 thread on removing the recoil pad tomorrow. Maybe save someone some grief.

If you like your Constitution, you can keep your Constitution.

Last edited by Szumi; 02-16-2020 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-16-2020, 05:35 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by M92pv4u View Post
Don't laugh Az I have a mongoose. My dad has a Trek and one of my best friends has a Cannondale. Although all three are aluminum the mongoose weighs a ton compared to the higher end bicycles. I can't wait until my daughter is old enough to teach to ride a bicycle.
I only laugh At Don and Al. Mongoose were good bikes once then walmart got a hold of them.
Walmart got ahold of mine it was even the last one so it was assembled. I had to re do some of it after the first ride.
Old 02-16-2020, 05:54 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Walmart got ahold of mine it was even the last one so it was assembled. I had to re do some of it after the first ride.
I lucked out got both of my bikes from pawn shops. Mt bike was 100 and the crossbike was 250. If you live in a college town you can find some great deals.
Old 02-16-2020, 06:00 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwolfe View Post
Maybe a pool on when the race will end might be more appropriate.
I think it is tomorrow. Time to hit the rack.

Old 02-16-2020, 06:01 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't even live near a college town but my cousin lives in Berkeley. I'll have to ask her about used bike prices.
Old 02-16-2020, 06:01 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye57 View Post
Take a look at my thread.
In part two I show a picture of a jig to hold a hand held belt sander.
One can be made.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1183491
I'll give it a look in the morning.

Thanks

Old 02-16-2020, 06:05 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdew View Post
The rust removal via battery charger worked well. Hit the buckle with a wire wheel, looked great, passed the wife’s inspection.

For dinner: Grilled Costco prime New York strip, fried morel mushrooms ( that we picked in the spring, battered and froze), grilled Brussel sprouts topped with bacon & blue cheese.
Most new battery chargers have a relay that turns on the output to protect from reverse connections and such. Hoovers if battery is dead flat or you are trying to do some electrolysis stuff. Learned that a while back. I have a small pile of linear power supplies from lines we scrapped.

Old 02-16-2020, 06:43 PM
mdew

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Most new battery chargers have a relay that turns on the output to protect from reverse connections and such. Hoovers if battery is dead flat or you are trying to do some electrolysis stuff. Learned that a while back. I have a small pile of linear power supplies from lines we scrapped.
Fortunately I have two chargers that are Sears brand. One I bought in 1984 to charge my trolling motor battery for the 16ft Jon boat.

Brings back good memories of the wife and I packing a cooler with some food and beer heading to one of local city lakes when we lived in Oklahoma. Date night.
Old 02-16-2020, 06:51 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good range and bro report TD.

Quote:
I have a hand one. Looking at a combo belt/disc bench top atm. Always a place for more wood dorking tools. I'm thinking more heat will get that thing off.
I reiterate what those in the CZ post; 'heat and a razor blade slid into the seam prying it loose'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichJ View Post
What is this ‘stage’ BS.........are we at the Tour de France?

Rich
Oh its a lot worse than that like restrictor plates, HP, height of tail fins, etc etc etc etc with rules changes every year.
Sure glad I'm not at the race with no day off tomorrow, that is, if they don't charge for new tickets!
Quote:
I lucked out got both of my bikes from pawn shops. Mt bike was 100 and the crossbike was 250. If you live in a college town you can find some great deals.
PD has a sale every year on the host of unclaimed bikes in this NMU town.

Finn had me grill chops @ 7˚F tonite...much better than her accidentally blackened skinless boneless chicken thighs last nite. I was gonna offer takeout but if she can eat it so could I.

-2˚
Old 02-16-2020, 07:21 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
mdew, good to hear the electrolysis werked well for you. I think a low amp manual battery maintainer or trickle charger would be the ticket. I have heard of guys using old computer power supplies, but I wouldn't know what I was doing with one of those or a lot of other electric or electronical stuff.

Read some time ago about some time ago and found this note to myself: Electrolysis has been heavily studied by the archeology departments of various universities where it is used to conserve iron artifacts. They have recommendations for how much current to use based on the surface area of the part. The 1st choice for chemical to dissolve in the water is lye (NaOH) - its supposed to give the best results in a 2% solution by weight. Sodium hydroxide is a bit nasty though and so a close second would be the sodium carbonate (washing soda) in a 5% solution by weight.
The above information may have come from Texas A&M.

I think you can get Arm and Hammer washing soda at Walmart. Can't remember where I read about the lower amps being the better choice. That may be most relevant to more delicate parts and wasting energy. I did a little research about the electrolysis method a few years back trying to find the best way of approaching the method as opposed to just taking the more chemicals and current is gooder way to do it.

People get concerned about the waste products, but if there isn't chrome, paint, or grease covering the pieces being derusted, the byproducts are relatively harmless. I think one of the byproducts is hydrogen so a well ventilated area or outside may be the best place to do it. I imagine the amount of hydrogen released would be directly proportional to the size of the object and amount of rust.

I need to build a derusting electrolysis tank set up and clean up a couple of old vises. Will have to wait until the weather is nice as I don't have a warm place to safely spray paint inside.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:25 PM
nfcracin

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Mid 20's today very light wind.

Tested modified 10 rnd mag works in sporter not in bench gun, thats ok
also tested out bench gun I think it does kind of good with Geco Rifle,
likes SK Standard+ and loves Center X.

Imagine that it likes the good stuff, guess the ammo budget is going to go up
Old 02-16-2020, 07:35 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post

Oh its a lot worse than that like restrictor plates, HP, height of tail fins, etc etc etc etc with rules changes every year.
Sure glad I'm not at the race with no day off tomorrow, that is, if they don't charge for new tickets!

PD has a sale every year on the host of unclaimed bikes in this NMU town.

I hear that in the next couple of years they're going to self driving electric cars.

Had a bicycle stolen while at college a long time ago. Read an article a few years later about a guy in Michigan who mostly put himself through college stealing and selling bicycles from college campuses. Would make the rounds to U of M, MSU, and some of the other colleges stealing at one then selling those at other campuses. Would even steal some to order for certain model and colors. Stole one for one of his professors. Often wondered if mine was stolen during one of those outings.

Bike theft around here is way down from when I was a kid. Had three stolen when I was younger, only got one back. Bike theft spiked at the start of the school year and the start of summer vacation. Kids don't ride bikes much anymore around here.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:59 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
You need(ed) to watch this, maybe.

Always good for a laugh...

Closed Thread