Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-08-2020, 10:32 AM
nodak
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (49)
Silhouette Heggis flip???

Does the heggis flip do anything for the Silhouette models with the adjustable sear spring screw?
Old 02-10-2020, 09:32 AM
rdas
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes, but...

If you have an old silhouette model with the silhouette sear spring (which I'm assuming you do, since it has the adjustment screw), the result of the Heggis flip won't be as noticeable, because the silhouette sear spring is already much lighter than the standard sear spring. That's why people used to buy the silhouette sear spring as a lighter replacement for the stock sear spring (back when the silhouette sear spring was available). If the new Silhouette models use the standard sear spring, they will definitely benefit from the Heggis flip.

The adjustable sear spring screw changes the "pre-load" on the sear spring. Backing the screw out is less pre-load, and theoretically a lower pull weight. Turning the screw in is more pre-load. In reality, it usually makes very little difference, because the screw only has about 1/4" - 3/8" of travel, and the difference in spring rate between the farthest-in and farthest-out settings is minimal. If you manipulated the sear spring so that the gun barely functioned with the screw all the way out, you'd probably notice a difference when it was screwed all the way in. But why bother? The vast majority of people don't want an adjustable trigger pull weight, they want their preferred pull weight all the time.

The Heggis flip, on the other hand, changes the spring rate significantly, because the sear spring is "stronger" in the stock configuration, and "weaker" in the flipped configuration.

If you are going to do the Heggis flip on Buckmark with the sear spring adjusting screw, you will probably need to bend the tip of the rear (short) leg of the sear spring. In the stock configuration, the tip of the rear leg is bent up, and fits into the "cup" on the bottom of the sear spring adjusting screw. If you flip it, the tip of the rear leg will be pointing down, and thus will almost certainly not be captured in that "cup". Look at the bend in the tip of the rear leg (maybe take a photo from the side), and bend the tip the other way, trying to replicate the original angle. Then it will fit into the "cup" when installed in the flipped orientation. Also make sure the long front leg of the sear spring ends up in the V-shaped notch in the bottom of the sear, check with the flick test, and you should be good to go.

There are a bunch of photos relevant to this discussion at http://guns.dsttr.com/BuckmarkReasse...ringreassembly

In particular here's a photo of the rear leg tip in the sear spring adjusting screw

And here's a photo of the final orientation of the sear spring - note that the sear is not installed in that photo, that's why it looks like there's so much room in front of the spring.

Dave

Last edited by rdas; 02-10-2020 at 09:40 AM.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:37 PM
nodak
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (49)
Thanks Dave. I had Browning fix a safety issue and trigger feels heavier now. Hope they didn't change my silhouette spring for a new version but I'll look. I plan on shooting a brick through it and see how it feels then. Might try the flip if my heart is still in it then.