Squirrel Hunters! The Tree Kind! - Page 3494 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-17-2020, 07:42 PM
tfrank
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Wink I don't know about this late season...

I don't know about this late season squirrel hunting. Got out in the woods and was quiet by 7:30 am, probably 45 min after shooting light. Covered about 1/2 mile, sat some, stalked some, used the binoculars quite a bit. Didn't see squat. One or two songbirds and quite a few buzzards circling overhead, but not a trace of a squirrel. Came out of the woods about 11:30, had lunch, took a 3 hour nap and helped the land owner stack some tree limbs. Got back out in the woods about 4 pm. Saw the first squirrel a few minutes after 5 pm, and had it on the ground a few minutes later. A second squirrel was on the ground by 5:15 pm!!! And here is how I found them when I went to pick them up!!! Literally right next to each other and the 2nd one came from a tree about 40 yards away. Both females.

I brought them back to where I was sitting and hoped I hadn't made too much noise. Two redheads!!!

I'm sitting on the ground with my back against a tree, and I see a small piece of bark drop down right in front of me... don't pay it any attention. A second piece of bark falls... I look up, there is squirrel #3. I slide down so that I am literally laying flat on the ground and am aiming straight up. Squirrel hits the ground 10 feet to my left, twitches a few times and is still. I sit back up. More bark drops, I look up and there is squirrel #4. I slide back down on my back. This one lands 5 feet to my right, twitches a few times and is still.
Now I am contemplating the day. Same as the last 2 squirrel hunting trips. The woods were dead quiet and NOTHING moving for the morning portion of the hunt. The only time I see activity is the last hour of the day on all 3 trips. Makes me think I should either sleep in or deer hunt in the AM and squirrel hunt in the PM.
Then a bonus occurs!!! I'm being cussed out by a squack. Well the binoculars are laying on my chest, I pick them up and scan the tree where the noise is coming from, and low and behold... what do I see??? Squirrel #5. This one is on the ground about 1 minute later!!! The days bag!!! 5 shots, 5 squirrels. Starting to really like the funky smell of that Eley priming mixture!!!

Oh and you should subtract 1 hour from the time stamp as I never bothered to adjust for loosing daylight savings, figured it would be right again in about 6 months anyway so why bother!!!
So the day started with a big fizzle, but ended with almost a limit in 1 hours. thanks for letting me share my day!!!
God Bless, Frank.

Last edited by tfrank; 02-17-2020 at 10:16 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:04 PM
grg
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Frank, that was an awesome day I would say!
Old 02-17-2020, 09:18 PM
Squirrelbark
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
tfrank, You reminded me what I love about squirrel hunting--the surprises!

Nice shots too; what rifle/ammo did you use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2020, 10:08 PM
tfrank

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
This rifle!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelbark View Post
tfrank, You reminded me what I love about squirrel hunting--the surprises!

Nice shots too; what rifle/ammo did you use?
This rifle!!!
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...5&postcount=73
God Bless, Frank.
Old 02-18-2020, 02:54 AM
Old Hickory

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That was an awesome way to end the day, Frank!
Old 02-20-2020, 05:31 PM
Squirrelbark

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
tfrank, that is sort of a FrankenMooseberg, but that is one very unique rifle. I was mesmerized/vexed by the faux-Schnabel forend. Never seen anything quite as Moosebergian and yet still very cool.
Old 02-20-2020, 05:54 PM
tfrank

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have several 17 caliber Mossbergs!!!

I have several 17 caliber Mossbergs!!! a semi that is a work in progress although I have taken several squirrels with it. I still worry about an OOB (OutOfBattery) discharge. A 640 in 17 HMR and the 140 which you have already seen. By the way that 140 is 100% stock except for the caliber. Externally the stock is unmodified, but it really isn't. There WERE two lead plugs inletted into the forearm under the barrel. Those have been removed and the stock is NOT bedded. Stock is just like it came from Mossberg 40 or 50 years ago, except for the holes where the lead plugs were!!! The 140 isn't the only Mossberg with a stock Schnabel fore end, just so you know!!!
Oh and another MOOSEBERG, but this one is in 22 LR!!!!
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...5&postcount=88
God Bless, Frank.

Last edited by tfrank; 02-20-2020 at 06:12 PM.
Old 02-20-2020, 10:20 PM
Squirrelbark

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Another cool Mossy! Gotta stay away from this forum, I don't have money or room for more 22's
Old 03-01-2020, 07:24 PM
Silas

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Old 03-01-2020, 09:30 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Miss seeing pictures of those gourmet meals you used to post often.

We've got until March 8th before the Alabama season ends. I missed out on much of February courtesy of being sick. Might get to go one more time if the bronchitis-pharyngitis clears up and doesn't turn into pneumonia.
Old 03-08-2020, 04:29 AM
Old Hickory

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfrank View Post
I have several 17 caliber Mossbergs!!! a semi that is a work in progress although I have taken several squirrels with it. I still worry about an OOB (OutOfBattery) discharge. A 640 in 17 HMR and the 140 which you have already seen. By the way that 140 is 100% stock except for the caliber. Externally the stock is unmodified, but it really isn't. There WERE two lead plugs inletted into the forearm under the barrel. Those have been removed and the stock is NOT bedded. Stock is just like it came from Mossberg 40 or 50 years ago, except for the holes where the lead plugs were!!! The 140 isn't the only Mossberg with a stock Schnabel fore end, just so you know!!!
Oh and another MOOSEBERG, but this one is in 22 LR!!!!
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...5&postcount=88
God Bless, Frank.
Great rifle, Frank! I had one like that and it would go full auto on occasion, for 3 or 4 rounds at a time. I told a fella about it and he just had to have it like it was so I sold it to him. They are fine rifles.
Old 03-08-2020, 03:13 PM
tfrank

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I had a "Gill Gun"...

I had a "Gill Gun" that did that after i gave it a good cleaning. Only did it a few times but that prompted me to get rid of it. Range master said it was probably the lubricant that caused it. So far none of my semi-auto Mossbergs have decided to go full auto on me, but I would more than likely not get rid of a Mossberg unless I just decide that I need to downsize. Just preference I guess. Plenty good semi's out there in whatever brand you prefer.
God Bless, Frank.
Old 03-09-2020, 08:32 AM
reb henderson

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
Frank,
I like the old Mossybacks and the old Clakik ety Clacks or Gill guns as you called them. Sarge and I have shared a couple of those over the years. I really like them and if I could find one in good shape would buy another one. Very accurate rifles.
Old 03-22-2020, 04:16 PM
reb henderson

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
All yall hard core squirrel killers keep your heads down and take this virus serious. It is nothing to play with or take lightly. I want you all to be safe and sound. We have a bunch more lies, er uh stories, to tell.
Take care,
Reb
Old 03-23-2020, 12:07 PM
reb henderson

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
Hey Crowfeather,
Would you mind retelling the story of the outstanding shot you made on Hemlock Ridge? I have forgotten the details and I sure can't afford to look at that empty shell casing.