The REALLY helpful hardware man - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-13-2020, 06:32 PM
Arrowhead
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

The two ACE Hardware stores in my area used to sell SOME gun screws but not a great variety. Now they are gone from both stores.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:02 PM
rjferber
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
The two Ace Hardware stores I frequent have the Gun Screw drawers pictured, however, rarely have I found exactly what I was looking for . . . either not carried at all, or out of the size I needed. I did find a little metal plate about 1" x 3" that was drilled, tapped, with thread sizes stamped by the holes that I thought was worth the $2 asking price so I could at least find out the size of screw I was looking for. Then again, I have found the particular screw I was looking for didn't fit any of those thread sizes either.

I have thought about putting one of the three Pachmayr Master Gun Screw Kits on my Christmas list many times or just buy them all so I would have them on hand. But I can't seem to talk myself into buying $100 worth of screws for the few times I have needed one. Maybe if Brownells or Midway runs a decent sale I will add them on the order.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:02 PM
JEC

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
The HW store in that photo sells ammo, gun cleaning supplies, etc. The proprietor owns two stores and occasionally sells firearms in the other store, although probably on order only; there are no firearms sitting on the shelf. Not sure if the FFL covers both HW stores.

It's quite handy to go down the block and know I can find something like a 6-48 screw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2020, 08:31 PM
ghgs

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
Our local Ace has the same boxes. Got them about a year ago.
Old 02-15-2020, 06:57 AM
ivan

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
My local TrueValue doesn't have Gun Screws or labeled as such but I've found a few that I needed in the drawers.

They also sell ammo and do FFL transfers. Ammo is kinda pricey but I buy a little every year just to help keep the stock rotated
Old 02-17-2020, 08:40 PM
kjk200

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I check out every screw section of every single hardware store I have EVEr been in and I have never seen a gun screw drawer. If I ever did, I would think I must have died and gone to heaven!
Old 02-17-2020, 09:53 PM
minimouse

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Many gun screw sizes, such as 6-48, are National Extra Fine thread sizes. National Fine and National Coarse thread sizes are widely used in the automotive industry and elsewhere, but National Extra Fine thread sizes are harder to find, as the demand for them is not that great.
Old 02-18-2020, 06:31 PM
boltme

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up Went to get a key cut....

Went to get a key cut, to hide outside since I just moved to this small Wisconsin town after retiring. While waiting at the counter, I notices the mat I was resting on said, "We have gun screws, Just ask ."

I asked, I needed a crew for my moss berg. He said " 8 x 32 I believe. Bring her in."
He did have one, 35 cents. Only "Do It center" I've seen that had them.

Few years back I went into a small harware store in Northern Wisconsin and saw a Henry 22 for $229. I bought it, background check and a box of 100 rounds. With tax grand total was $200.38. At check out, he said it was miss marked.

I love small town hardwre stores......

Last edited by boltme; 02-18-2020 at 06:37 PM. Reason: spelling