Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-17-2020, 02:38 PM
Horsehead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New Buckmark Owner

Hey everyone,

I'm a huge fan of rimfire shooting and have recently gotten into various competitions in my area. NRL22, a precision rifle shoot, and most recently, rimfire steel challenge.

I have been shooting my 1970s era High Standard Sharpshooter at the steel challenge event, but I only have one magazine for it and honestly I don't love running it quite that hard. It's probably my favorite pistol I've ever owned and I'd like to be able to pass it down to my kids one day.

Enter the Browning Buckmark. I knew I wanted a new pistol for the rimfire challenge. I also knew I wanted to keep it fairly inexpensive, as I'm committed to shooting limited class. So after much research and shopping around, I came across this one for what seemed like a reasonable price. I went ahead and ordered a couple goodies (tandemkross trigger and gearbox) for it and already installed them before I ever even fired a shot. Call me crazy, I like to tinker with things.

Sighted it in and put.a couple hundred rounds.down ranged. I'm pleased so far!

I did get maybe 2 stove pipes and 3 FTEs. Not sure if that's the ammo or if it's just running a little dry... But we'll see if that evens out after a little more break in time.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2020, 04:17 PM
kirby999

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
I have that exact model Buckmark. I installed a fiber optic front sight on mine and with MiniMags and CCI AR-22 it stacks them .
Old 02-17-2020, 04:40 PM
Horsehead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby999 View Post
I have that exact model Buckmark. I installed a fiber optic front sight on mine and with MiniMags and CCI AR-22 it stacks them .
I've never owned a semi auto .22 other than my high standard. I imagine it's action spring is about as broken in as could possibly be. Do you think mini mags might eject better out of this one?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2020, 07:17 PM
elohssa63
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
75% (2)
Try the Minimags during break in (100 to 200 rounds) , clean the pistol and switch to CCI Std. Velocity . They should work well as my Buckmark loves them.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:52 PM
kirby999

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsehead View Post
I've never owned a semi auto .22 other than my high standard. I imagine it's action spring is about as broken in as could possibly be. Do you think mini mags might eject better out of this one?

Iíve always heard to shoot a brick of HV for break in . Mine is still in the break in period .
Mine developed an issue with the slide locking back while there was still ammo left in the magazine.
Found the screws in the top rail were loose . Couple of turns loose .
I hope tightening them up fixes my issue.
Keep an eye on the screws . If works properly next range trip , Iíll Locktite the screws .
Old 02-17-2020, 09:25 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby999 View Post
Found the screws in the top rail were loose . Couple of turns loose .
I hope tightening them up fixes my issue.
Keep an eye on the screws . If works properly next range trip , Iíll Locktite the screws .
This is exactly the problem that I had with my one and only Buckmark pistol. It would also cause FTF issues as well.
Old 02-18-2020, 09:35 AM
rdas
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Give it a couple hundred rounds to set the springs and wear in a little. As others have noted, HV ammo might be a little more reliable during the break in, but after that, a Buckmark should cycle with SV ammo just fine. And if you're shooting at distances of 15 yards or more, SV ammo will (generally) be noticeably more accurate.

Clean the back of the barrel and front of the slide so gunk doesn't build up, lube where the slide rubs the frame and top rail (I drip oil onto a q-tip for this), and enjoy it!

As for the top rail screws, wipe any oil off them, use blue or purple loctite (never red), and torque them to about 15 INCH-lbs (not ft-lbs), which is pretty tight, but certainly not crazy tight. I've tried using Vibratite on them with limited success, but blue loctite has worked well for me (and my Buckmarks see lots of rounds).

Dave

Last edited by rdas; 02-18-2020 at 09:38 AM.
Old 02-19-2020, 05:19 PM
kirby999

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Just wanted to update everyone on my Buckmark slide locking back issue .
Tightening the top rail screws was all that was needed to fix my issue .