Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-17-2020, 10:02 AM
dotchief
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Heritage

and Chiappa Revolvers are significantly lower in price than most any other brands.

I'm looking for a .22LR revolver or semi-auto that is not expensive. I'm wanting something to carry while bank fishing, walking in the woods mushroom hunting, etc.

I have two revolvers - both Ruger Single Sixes. They are the old three screw types. Both have scopes. I use these for occasional squirrel hunting.

I'm not wanting to spend a ton of money for a gun I'm gonna be packing, abusing in the woods. Why are the Heritage and Chiappa revolvers so inexpensive.

Pat G
Old 02-17-2020, 10:22 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Heritage

I don’t hear a lot of bad things about the Heritage revolvers. I actually don’t hear much at all about Chiappa. I think a Heritage Rough Rider would fill your needs well without breaking the bank. IMO, the Heritage revolvers don’t have the build quality of the Ruger Single Six, hence the lower cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by 2011ERIC; 02-17-2020 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-17-2020, 10:35 AM
RCoop
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Or

You could look at the Ruger Wrangler to see if that fits you needs. Been some good deals on both the Heritage and the Ruger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2020, 10:40 AM
CraigC
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotchief View Post
Why are the Heritage and Chiappa revolvers so inexpensive.
The inescapable truth that seems to anger so many is that they are cheaply made. They use cheaper materials like low grades of steel, aluminum, plastic and zinc alloys. Lower grades of steel are easier to machine. Zinc does not require an expensive foundry to manipulate. The Heritage frame is either low grade steel or ZAMAK. The barrel is ribbed, pressed into the frame (not screwed) and held in place with adhesive. The ejector button is plastic. All the grip frames are ZAMAK. The grips are cheap and the finish is sprayed on. Note these are basic facts, with no judgment or opinion thrown in but someone will be offended.

The Single Six is made just like their centerfire brethren. Same carbon steel or stainless alloys. Same aluminum, steel or stainless grip frames. Same grips. Same construction methods. They cost more because they are a better gun, in every way.

The Ruger Wrangler somewhat bridges the gap. They use aluminum for the receiver, zinc-based alloy for the grip frame and presumably the same barrels as the Single Six. The three main dissimilar metals are finished in Cerakote. They cost about half that of a Single Six but still a bit higher than Heritage. A great value at around $180. IMHO, they are a better gun and a better investment than a Heritage.

Old 02-17-2020, 10:44 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Best camp gun for the money is the Browning Buckmark. You can find the basic camper for less that 300 bucks and it needs nothing to shoot absolutely great!
Old 02-17-2020, 11:36 AM
ChefDuane
US Coast Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CraigC is exactly correct about the Heritage. It is a lesser quality build using lesser quality materials. I have a Heritage Rough Rider .22 LR and it is a fun gun shoot and plink with. I understand completely it is a lesser quality gun than the Ruger and that with similar use the RR will not be around as long as the Ruger. But it also cost me $99 on sale at Academy and intend to use sparingly for fun. It certainly is NOT a daily use gun, trail gun, or EDC self-defense weapon. As long as one understands what the capabilities of the gun are, and what should be its intended use, a Heritage Rough Rider can be a very fun and usable gun for significantly less that other similar revolvers.
Old 02-17-2020, 01:26 PM
Captdave221
Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Rough Rider 16” barrel

That was my latest purchase. I have a single six but when I saw this on sale at $180 with fiber optic sight I couldn’t pass it up. A 16” barrel revolver WOW!!!

I just wish I could find some grips that are longer. If someone made grips like the S&W target grips that the frame fits into and were about 1/2” longer at the bottom I wouldn’t feel like I was holding a compact handgun. Shoots pretty well for. What it is and had the trigger worked on and pull is aroun 2#’s now.

I still get aggravated at SA revolvers in general as they are slow to load and unload.
Someday maybe a S&W 17 will follow my home and eliminate this issue. Speed loaders are your friend
Old 02-17-2020, 03:30 PM
Rat458
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I had a RR 6 1/2" that one of my grandsons loved to shoot.
It was more accurate with the magnum cylinder.
I let him take it home after a range session that he shot very well at.
Was not a fan of the safety Heritage uses.
My favorite 22 is an older MK II but those are not cheap anymore.
Have you looked at the Charter 22 offerings ?
Very reasonably priced .
Old 02-17-2020, 04:18 PM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I won't argue with CraigC as he is entirely right. If Ruger would offer a birds head model single six with a short barrel or even the same in a Wrangler that is what I would have purchased. Since they don't I gave up and bought that model of Heritage just because I wanted that type of gun to play with. It's not a great gun but it's not a bad one either and I'll never wear it out. If it breaks I'll return it to Heritage and see what they will do. If nothing I'm not out a great deal of money. So far it's been a great coke can killer.
Old 02-17-2020, 04:55 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Had a Heritage years back, said never again. It was disappointing in too many ways for me even as, like you, I intended it as an inexpensive utility gun. Long gone and never again. Probably was spoiled by my Colt's Frontier Scout (also 'cheaply built' but became worth too much to use or keep).
Have a Charter Arms Pathfinder 22, ehhhh, good pocket gun but far from utility/small game accurate.
I am close to popping for Wrangler. Pay a little bit more than for a Heritage but get more value per dollar spent.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:54 PM
toomanyguns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotchief View Post
I'm looking for a .22LR revolver or semi-auto that is not expensive. I'm wanting something to carry while bank fishing, walking in the woods mushroom hunting, etc.

I'm not wanting to spend a ton of money for a gun I'm gonna be packing, abusing in the woods.

Pat G
An NAA revolver with 2" barrel or longer might work.

For something very light and compact and for light duty (and inexpensive), I recommend the Phoenix HP22A. I used to carry one squirrel hunting and used it to kill several squirrels which were too close for my scoped rifle. It was much lighter and more compact than either my Ruger 22/45 or my Browning Buckmark and just as accurate (with the 5" barrel).
Old 02-17-2020, 09:00 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You could get a Taurus TX22, a 22 semi auto for less than $300 that holds 16+1 and comes with 2 mags. The TX22 is lighter than most of the revolvers.

Pck
Old 02-18-2020, 07:07 AM
dotchief
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I'm

overwhelmed by the knowledgeable responses. You guys are SUPER!!!

I'll look into the Ruger and that semi auto. I'll update on my choice. Again - THANKS!!!!!!
Old 02-18-2020, 11:20 AM
Chucksolo1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Jeez, the OP asked about the Heritage and Chiappa guns and everyone steers him to other guns. The main difference between the Heritage and Chiappa guns is that the cylinder on the Heritage is steel where the Chiappa cylinder is alloy and lined with steel inserts in the chambers. The problem with this is the bolt will eventually deform the cylinder detents. I won't buy a Ruger Wrangler simply because, I don't like the caracote finish, especially the bronze, and I don't like the freewheeling cylinder. I can overlook the safety on the Heritage, but the way the cylinder spins freely on the Wrangler leaves me cold. Also, I went with the Heritage because of the availability of the .22 Magnum cylinder option.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:01 PM
ChefDuane
US Coast Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
One thing I like about my Heritage is that it goes really well with my Henry Classic Lever and Marlin .30-30. It looks really good in a holster when me and the Regulators go out on a cowboy shoot!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Marlin-Henry-Heritage.jpg (484.9 KB, 16 views)