A couple 10/22's one with problems - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-22-2020, 12:41 AM
xJDx

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A couple 10/22's one with problems

Hey guys hows it going im still purty new here just wanted to show a couple of my 22's They are both recent purchases. After i broke the trigger on my old squires bingham 20 i couldnt handle not having a 22 rifle. Im having a few problems with the after market picatinney nc star rail it keeps coming loose after about 100 rounds i tried permatex blue on it after cleaning screws and holes with alcohol and the dang thing still comes loose. Should i try red? Im kinda scared of the red, but dont have much experiance with it. Thanks for the help and really enjoying all the good threads.... image0000001 (25).jpg

image0000001 (26).jpg

image0000001 (27).jpgJD
Old 11-22-2020, 01:28 AM
comfisherman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Send a message via AIM to comfisherman
If the screws aren't holding with blue, its probably a thread issue more than a base issue. Some of the older guns have endured a fair bit of scope swapping, not everyone is gentle with the torque wrench and 6-48 screws strip in aluminum easier than you might think.

I've drilled one bigger with a press and 8-40 tap ( the industry standard larger scope base screw size.)

Did mine in a drill press with a 3 axis drill jig. It was definitely not for a tool novice, but not a crazy job. Hard part was finding and fitting srews with the correct cap to fit the existing base.

I'd err on the side of red before going the surgery route, provided its a torque screw so removal is possible.
Old 11-22-2020, 01:52 AM
crackedcornish

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
or it might be just a bad fit between the chinese made rail and the top of the receiver...nc star isn't exactly known for the quality of their stuff, might want to just get a better quality rail..like the one that should have come with the rifle from the factory

not saying the Ruger receiver top is perfect by any means, but trying another rail is a fairly inexpensive and easy thing to try before resorting to loctite red

which brings up the permatex...I'm not real familiar with it...that may be pert of the problem, may not..I like to use loctite blue in the stick form, so I don't have to worry about it getting into the action and gumming things up

ETA: almost forgot to say WELCOME to RFC!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2020, 01:57 AM
comfisherman

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Send a message via AIM to comfisherman
Cracked, I read permex and my brain jumped straight to Loctite.

Seems like swapping a base and screws from a different receiver might be a way to trouble shoot.
Old 11-22-2020, 09:25 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
+1 on the blue loctite.

I also agree NCstar is not the best quality.
Old 11-22-2020, 07:59 PM
xJDx

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the good advice i didnt try the factory rail i just went picatinny right away i guess my Armalites have a hold on me. I removed the chinese picatinny and cleaned the screws and holes real good with acetone. I installed the factory weaver rail and used the same blue permatex if it comes loose again i will assume its the permatex. Now i will give her a few days and test again.. Thanks again and Happy Shooten all. JD