Archangel magazine challenge - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-13-2020, 11:34 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Archangel magazine challenge

Installed an archangel stock, it's a snug fit but really solid. Love it.

Shooting it for the first time, however, found the magazines won't drop out. All of them. Pulled the receiver and realized all my magazines (Ruger brand, 5 of them) are wider than the receiver. They are all exactly 1.25", the receiver is 1/128" narrower.

Just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this.

Obviously I can just shave off the sides of the magazine well in the stock, but was also thinking I could shim the sides of the receiver to "stretch" the stock around the magazines. 1/128" isn't much.
Old 11-14-2020, 08:29 AM
lbjennings
National Guard NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflyguy View Post
Installed an archangel stock, it's a snug fit but really solid. Love it.

Shooting it for the first time, however, found the magazines won't drop out. All of them. Pulled the receiver and realized all my magazines (Ruger brand, 5 of them) are wider than the receiver. They are all exactly 1.25", the receiver is 1/128" narrower.

Just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this.

Obviously I can just shave off the sides of the magazine well in the stock, but was also thinking I could shim the sides of the receiver to "stretch" the stock around the magazines. 1/128" isn't much.
I think I would shave the mags. The archangel stock I have is a very tough plastic. Donít think I would modify that.
That is a very good setup you will like tight fit.
Larry
Old 11-14-2020, 09:06 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks.

The main reason I lean more towards shaving the stock is they do say it may require modification, but that's specifically due to variance in receiver dimensions. The other is that any modified mags may not seat well in any future 10/22 I might acquire.

I did email them, so I'll see what they say.

Here it is..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2020, 05:36 PM
Gasguy
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had issues with the mags not falling out.

Used 80 grit sandpaper and opened up the mag well. Spent about an hour sanding a little, and checking fit.

After the mag was close to dropping out I switched to 200 grit to smooth the plastic. Just to reduce the rough appearence.

Have put 200 plus round thru rifle with no issues with mags dropping.
Old 11-14-2020, 05:40 PM
Gasguy
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Eflyguy:

Was the white stock from Archangel, or did you color it?
Old 11-14-2020, 05:49 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasguy View Post
Eflyguy:

Was the white stock from Archangel, or did you color it?
It's their "desert tan" color. Probably looks a bit lighter in that pic.
Old 11-15-2020, 11:24 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just a little more data..

The inside wall of the stock actually clears the sides of the receiver right where the magazines seat - you can see light thru there.

What's happening is the stock slopes "inwards" towards the bottom of the well. We're talking a tiny amount, but enough to interfere with the magazines.

I'll still be waiting to hear from their tech support before doing anything.
Old 11-15-2020, 02:56 PM
Gasguy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You are correct. I did all my fitting with the receiver out of the stock. Just worked the mag into the stock to get a freefall mag.
Old 11-15-2020, 07:18 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thx again.

The bottom of the mag well opens up ~.075" when the receiver is installed, that's how tight the fit is.

I'm not afraid to remove the material, just wondering (a) if this is common and (b) what their support has to say.
Old 11-16-2020, 12:07 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
They are saying they will replace it under warranty. That's great, but we have a match weekend after next. Ugh..
Old 11-16-2020, 08:58 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So I had an idea..

As previously stated, it comes shipped with a really sturdy insert in the shape of the receiver to maintain its shape. That doesn't extend down into the magazine well, and the lower sides had developed a slope. I verified this with a straight edge.

So I used that sturdy insert, but inserted down thru the magazine well, along with a 0.075" shim. I then suspended it a few inches above a heat source (oil-filled radiator) for an hour or so, the area around the magazine well got up to about 110ļF.

After letting it cool, I reinstalled the receiver and the magazines slide in and (more importantly) drop out without issue. I can easily get a piece of paper down each side.

Also, with a straight-edge, the inside faces are now pretty much parallel.

I'll keep a close eye on it in the coming weeks, as clean magazine releases are critical during the matches I bought this rifle for. I'm thinking of making a solid insert to wedge in there when not being used.

Old 11-18-2020, 10:07 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So to put a nail in this one, I'm sending a reply to their support showing where the problem is along with suggestions on how to fix it (change the shape of the insert.)

The numbers should tell the story.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ruger stock and mag.jpg (100.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 11-20-2020, 09:14 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
OK, ok!!!

Last post, I promise!

I made the insert I mentioned above, to prevent any chance it deforms when not in-use. The last thing we need is an issue with magazines dropping out cleanly at a match.

It's a nice snug fit and ever so slightly tapered outwards towards the bottom. A little paste wax for protection and lubrification..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7789.jpg (239.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7790.jpg (317.6 KB, 3 views)