Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Poll: Is Your 39A Scoped Or Not?

40K views 218 replies 161 participants last post by  SDCromer 
#1 ·
I'd like to know how many of you shoot your Marlin 39A's either exclusively scoped, or with iron sights. Or, do you switch back and forth, depending on your mood?
Speaking for myself, I mounted a scope on my brand-new 39A the day I bought it back in 1978. In those days I was about 27 years old, and still had "young eyes", but went with a scope anyway.
Hmm... I can't seem to find a posting option enabling me to create a multiple-choice poll. Oh well! :rolleyes:

#116 ·
Scoped Mounties

This is my 1958 Mountie that came from the factory scoped, with a Marlin Micro-Vue 4x scope. Marlin produced 4,580 Mounties from 1958-1963 with this scope on them.

I took the scope off and put this on it, Not that I don't like scoped lever actions. It was just hard looking through a 60 year old scope. But it did still work.

Steve

#118 ·
1940-41 39A (B) carries original sites, though now on a 20" octagon barrel
1938-39 39(HS) has original sites and a 1950's Weaver 4x.
1970 39 Centennial LTD has Skinner brass receiver peep and matching tall front blade.
I am most accurate with the older gun and a scope... old eyes here....
But aesthetically, they each have distinct appeal... who's your favorite child?

#125 ·
My 39A is from the early '50s. Someone did a D&T job on it and it came with the base attached. It's currently got an old Weaver K3 on top of it.

The Golden 39M wears a receiver sight, and I somehow struggle along with the factory barrel-mounted sights on the 39D and 39 portion of the Centennial Matched Pair (yes, I shoot it).

#131 ·
I picked up a second Model 39 Mountie. Since I have 3 Minions now, I figured it was only appropriate that each eventually end up with a Model 39. Their Grandpa has a couple too so, even if they don't all get Mountie versions, they will definitely still get nice family heirloom guns that have been used in the mountains and deserts of Idaho.

Anyways, the second Model 39 Mountie now wears a 4x Weaver rimfire scope of modern vintage. It is crisp and clear and is a great addition. It makes popping jackrabbits in the sagebrush a breeze. :)

#135 ·
Scoped, I recently purchased a 39A manufactured in '56 and, thankfully, it was factory d&t on top of the receiver. It's in nice shape. I wanted to keep it somewhat period correct with a scope so I installed a glossy Weaver V7, 2.5-7x32, with glossy medium signature Zs and Weaver #90 base. It has enough clearance for the rear sight and looks nice, at least to me.:D I'll try to post photos of it soon. Gotta read up as this will be my first time at trying to post photos.:eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.