Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Poll: Is Your 39A Scoped Or Not?

40K views 218 replies 161 participants last post by  SDCromer 
#1 ·
I'd like to know how many of you shoot your Marlin 39A's either exclusively scoped, or with iron sights. Or, do you switch back and forth, depending on your mood?
Speaking for myself, I mounted a scope on my brand-new 39A the day I bought it back in 1978. In those days I was about 27 years old, and still had "young eyes", but went with a scope anyway.
Hmm... I can't seem to find a posting option enabling me to create a multiple-choice poll. Oh well! :rolleyes:

#88 ·
I have not, as of yet, scoped my 39A. currently a Williams rear peep lives on it.

but...if I can figure a good way to add a proper, adjustable cheek piece, for the correct cheek weld, a leupold RF scope will take up residence on it.

as some of you have said: these ole eyes need optics to even see the target, let alone hit it.

#92 ·
I have two 39a Marlins, an older one with upgraded wood from Numrich, that has a Leupold 1x5 that shoots better than I can. I also have an
early 80s model that has a Marbles folding tang site that just looks right,its a project gun that I have been working on for too long(the engraver had it for 2 years) then I took sick, but one of these days......

#96 ·
While I only have one scoped 39A (it's a '77 vintage with a similar vintage Bushnell Banner 4x), I am one of those weird guys that actually likes the look of a scoped lever gun.......but not necessarily better. Funny thing is, that was the first scope I ever bought, have come to be a big Leupold fan, but I just haven't replaced the Bushnell yet. Probably partly so since at the time I bought it, I was dating a girl in high school who came from a largely anti gun family, and on a trip north to visit the extended family, I went to a gun shop and got it there. One of my better puddin' stirrin' trophies........

#98 ·
I killed lots of squirrels with my 39AS over the years with factory irons. Killed my last one with irons this in October. I can't focus on the rear sight anymore. She now wears a Swift 4-12XAO in a DNZ one piece mount and rings.

Hoping to shoot its first scoped aimed squirrel on Saturday.

#100 ·
I posted back in November of last year that I had put a scope on my 39A to be able to see to shoot it. I always kind of cringed when I looked at the rifle after scoping it. Last summer I got new glasses that made a big difference. The scope went on another 22 and my 39A now wears a Lyman peep sight that I can do pretty good with. :bthumb:

#107 ·
Yep, my eyes are not what they used to be. Am the original owner of a 1973 Golden 39. Had a cheap Bushnell 4x for years. Then a sling failure dropped it right on the turret. Replacement was a semi-cheap Bushnell 3x9. The years go by. Children finally both graduated from college so I bought a Leupold 2x7 rimfire. I think it looks great on rifle. The matte finish scope matches the rifle much better that a glossy finish. Can't say I shoot better but I have scope that I feel matches the rifle. I use mine for squirrels. Set on 2x when the squirrels are grabbing assing during the early part of the season can often make a nearly running shot. If he will pause for just a moment I got him. Set on 7x careful head shots are executed. Just my opinion.

#110 ·
Yep, my eyes are not what they used to be. Am the original owner of a 1973 Golden 39. Had a cheap Bushnell 4x for years. Then a sling failure dropped it right on the turret. Replacement was a semi-cheap Bushnell 3x9. The years go by. Children finally both graduated from college so I bought a Leupold 2x7 rimfire. I think it looks great on rifle. The matte finish scope matches the rifle much better that a glossy finish. Can't say I shoot better but I have scope that I feel matches the rifle. I use mine for squirrels. Set on 2x when the squirrels are grabbing assing during the early part of the season can often make a nearly running shot. If he will pause for just a moment I got him. Set on 7x careful head shots are executed. Just my opinion.
That sounds like a great combination. By the way, I prefer "matte" finished scopes on all my rifles, even the stainless steel ones.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.