Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Poll: Is Your 39A Scoped Or Not?

40K views 218 replies 161 participants last post by  SDCromer 
#1 ·
I'd like to know how many of you shoot your Marlin 39A's either exclusively scoped, or with iron sights. Or, do you switch back and forth, depending on your mood?
Speaking for myself, I mounted a scope on my brand-new 39A the day I bought it back in 1978. In those days I was about 27 years old, and still had "young eyes", but went with a scope anyway.
Hmm... I can't seem to find a posting option enabling me to create a multiple-choice poll. Oh well! :rolleyes:

#59 ·
Receiver Sight

My Marlin 39A was made in 1939 and has a Redfield receiver sight from the same era. It was on the rifle when I bought it used 15 years ago. I found it in a local gun shop during deer season. I was hanging out there since I had already shot a buck!

It was a good year! :D

Lurger

#60 ·
Fella's;

I'm having a helluva time, gotta spend some fairly serious dollars to have mounts custom made to put the 30mm tube with at 63mm objective on the TDS.

My word! I've never seen blood pressures to that high that fast! :D:D

The 39a will wear a Leupold fixed 4X when I get done with that project. Two of the others will be bare. But there's this Celestron astronomical that needs a home, poor thing. For the long range stuff you know. Which one should I put it on?

900F

#70 · (Edited)
Made in 1978. I bought two of them new - one to put aside for some obscure reason and one to use. This is my 'user' gun. As mentioned in my post above I have a 4 X 81 German Pecar scope on it. I have no idea of the age of the scope but it was given to me by an 81 year old in 1972. He had bought it years before and never took it out of its box. The locking ring is brass so it must be pretty early.

This is a great set up and as accurate a combination as anyone could wish for. I once got 40 rabbits in quick succession on a 25 yard stretch of track on a mountainside with this rifle.

I also shoot the other large caliber lever action rifles as well as I can just go out my door on my property, what in the US is called a ranch and just shoot away - tin cans miscellaneous targets and wild pigs
The Lyman peep sight is NOT on the 39a but is on a .44-40 Colt Pump Action Lightning which is on the same rifle rack peg...actually a rifle I dont like and for sale! I only put the Marlin on the pegs to photograph it as it usually sits in a gun safe!

[/URL]

#74 ·
This guy is dead, so I'm going to vote for him.

Witness:

This is Steve Mcqueen, holding a scoped Marlin 39 from his personal collection.

Quite possibly the coolest guy that ever lived, and he thought a scope was O.K.

Who am I to argue with Steve Mcqueen about what's cool and what's not?

#78 ·
This guy is dead, so I'm going to vote for him.

Witness:

This is Steve Mcqueen, holding a scoped Marlin 39 from his personal collection.

Quite possibly the coolest guy that ever lived, and he thought a scope was O.K.

Who am I to argue with Steve Mcqueen about what's cool and what's not?
Rumor has it that Steve cut it down to a "Mare's Leg" so he could wear it on his belt. I don't know if he took the scope off, though.

:D:D:D:D:D

#77 ·
39a scoped

I always thought it would be sacrilegious to scope a Marlin 39 just because I always read how great they were with either a peep or factory irons. However when I finally purchased my first 39a (83) it came with a nice vintage weaver 4x and seeing the ridiculous accuracy it provides with that little tube I can't begin to consider separating the two.

#83 ·
working guns

My Golden 39M is scoped and about to get an upgrade. All my lever guns are scoped. Whether or not a scope spoils the look of the gun, is a matter of personal preference, to each his own. I am not a collector, each rifle that I own has a specific application and for me, I can get the most out of the rifle in its application when it's scoped. BTW scout scopes and long eye relief telescopic scopes existed in the hey days of lever guns, not sure if they are so out of place during their resurgence. Just my .02. Thanks.

#84 ·
My TDS came used with a Lyman receiver sight. I wouldn't hesitate to put a scope on a lever gun because of my aging eyes. I bought a used 336 in .35 Remington with an older Weaver on it and it looks OK.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.