Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Poll: Is Your 39A Scoped Or Not?

40K views 218 replies 161 participants last post by  SDCromer 
#1 ·
I'd like to know how many of you shoot your Marlin 39A's either exclusively scoped, or with iron sights. Or, do you switch back and forth, depending on your mood?
Speaking for myself, I mounted a scope on my brand-new 39A the day I bought it back in 1978. In those days I was about 27 years old, and still had "young eyes", but went with a scope anyway.
Hmm... I can't seem to find a posting option enabling me to create a multiple-choice poll. Oh well! :rolleyes:

#31 ·
Yep!

My old eyes need a scope on a rifle now!

I used a piece of muli-slot Weaver style rail to make this base. The cheap scope is not on the rifle now! That was just a test-mule scope. There is a nice, Japanese made, B&L 3X9 on it now.

#35 ·
My 1979 mfg'd 39A wears an even older Bausch & Lomb Balvar 1.5-6X (no objective bell). Looks & shoots good to my old eyes (it's a 'centerfire' scope that ain't been adjusted for parallax but has been no problem up to now). Been so many years since I didn't hafta use glass if I want to hit what I'm aiming at, I almost forgot what it's like to not use a scope. I do have a King tang sight with Merit adjustable disc on my old Rem 12C for the iron sights hunt at Shawnee but I seldom kill a squirrel (last one was a head shot @ 30yds, believe it or not ;) ). I'd like to be able to use 'em without the scope but life being what it is, I'm mostly grateful I'm still able to get out & use 'em at all :p .

Exploring & plinking around the old Bell Coal Mine near Sand Draw, WY in 2007. NO, we didn't put any of the bullet holes or dents in the door of the remnants of the Powder Magazine. Think most of those are much bigger'n a .22 :) .

#37 ·
I have two:

My 1950 model is using the original iron sights.

My 2002 model has a Leupold 3-9X40 that was sent back to the factory and adjusted for rimfire parallax. It's mounted in a "Game Reaper" mount.

I shoot the scoped rifle more and better.

It's about my eyes. I can't see grasshoppers at 50 yards like I could when I was a teenager.

#39 · (Edited)
yes my '59 is as you can see my henry is not nor is my win 9422 , i like the setup with my old eyes even tho i prefer the look of it without

i, going to add to my post that my rifle came to me with the rail that is seen on it , it looks to be of the same vintage , perhaps factory , somethin i need to investigate as i was told it came to me from the original owner what had never altered it ,

#42 ·
Most of my usage of my 39 has been with the original buckhorn sight or a Williams peep sight.

I tried it for one range outing with a 4x scope and a slip on cheek riser. My 39 just isn't a bolt gun in accuracy or in bench shooting, so the glass came off as soon as that experiment was over.

It's a good thing I have a few different apertures to "tighten up" the sight picture when I need to. My 39 has never shot better with a scope than without and that's okay by me. :)

#47 · (Edited)
Lyman peep on the rifle and a Williams came on my Mountie.

No to scopes.

It's just a preference I have for the clean lines of the 39. I also prefer peeps to shoot. As my eyes grow worse, I may need to scope one.

I prefer older Lyman's.

However, I really like shooting these neat lever-guns so whatever it takes will be just fine so long as I get to shoot my Marlins.

Bob

#50 ·
With Scope

My new 2006 year 39a was scoped with a 6-18X44 Simmons and used it for 3 years in Metallic Silhouette out to 100 meters. I just sold it 4 weeks ago to a club member. I needed it scoped for competition purposes. 1.69 inch group at 100 meters off sandbags on nice afternoon conditions for sighting -in. Always pretty consistent with Aguila Rifle Match.

#55 ·
My "Article II" is now fitted with a Skinner peep site. I Like it and it works fine & does not detract from the lines of the gun. My Golden 39A came with mounted scope but now just has original open sights. But my eyes are clammering for another peep of some kind for that gun too....

#57 ·
My 1983 vintage 39A had been d&t'd at one time, on the barrel, but screws now occupy the holes. When I bought it late last year, it had a Williams adjustable peep sight on it. With my aging eyesight, I can just manage it at 60 yards. I don't think 100 yards is in my future unless I reintroduce some good glass.

#58 ·
1978 39

As bad as I didn't want to I scoped mine this year, got a compact red field five star 3x9x32 looks real nice an dosn't over whelm the looks of the gun,
On the pluse side the thing shoots lights out at fifty yards, shoots way better then my 10/22 target gun. I bought the gun new in 1978 when I was 18 an it is still my fav gun of all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.