Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Poll: Is Your 39A Scoped Or Not?

40K views 218 replies 161 participants last post by  SDCromer 
#1 ·
I'd like to know how many of you shoot your Marlin 39A's either exclusively scoped, or with iron sights. Or, do you switch back and forth, depending on your mood?
Speaking for myself, I mounted a scope on my brand-new 39A the day I bought it back in 1978. In those days I was about 27 years old, and still had "young eyes", but went with a scope anyway.
Hmm... I can't seem to find a posting option enabling me to create a multiple-choice poll. Oh well! :rolleyes:

#4 ·
I've had several 39a's over the years (wish I had one particular one back) and always used receiver sights. Traded into an '82 model recently which came with a cheap Simmons scope mounted. I took off the scope and, since the rifle already had a scope base, put on a nice Leupold 2.5 - 10X. Great for my old eyes but just didn't look and feel right on this lever gun. Took the whole rig off, plugged the screw holes and I'm keeping my eyes open for a nice peep sight.

#13 · (Edited)
'63 Mountie has a Leupold 2-7 scope
'57 Mountie has a Redfield 70 receiver sight
'73 39M has a Williams FP receiver sight
'50 39A and '56 39A have open sights.
I shoot the best with the scope but good enough with the receiver sights to take them hunting too once in a while. The open sight guns go to the range only where I squint and try to do my best. Actually the longer barrels are a help to me there.

#14 ·
I scoped my 1982 39M with a Sightron 3-9 to show that a lever with suitable ammo could be used in a 100 yard shoot. With CCI Select, a couple of groups were under 1.5". The outside of the 7 ring measured 3.25" with a 1" 10 ring, and 90's were show to be possible.

With the scope off I use it as a Cowboy Production Carbine in Speed Steel Competition.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.