Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

39er's Club

182K views 564 replies 353 participants last post by  joe45c 
#1 ·
Who all has a 39? I'd like to see how many folks on here have them.

#78 ·
I've got one thats at the Marlin factory right now getting fixed..It's two years old and back to the factory for the second time ..The first time the hammer sorta stuck about at the half way position and just froze there...Sent it back and three weeks later it came back just fine until I had it out shooting...(only the third time out since it was brand new) This time it started not ejecting. I compared the extractor claw with the one on my 1897 Cowboy model and saw that the claw is just plain gone...broken off.. well I'm glad it came with a five year waranty....But I know I will really like it when I get things ironed out ..it has beautiful wood ...It also has a stiff action that I will loosen up a bit ... The five year waranty dosen't cover being disappointed?
I also have a lot of .22's and about 5 lever action ones...I love em all

RIMDENT

#79 ·
I was in my local gun shop today when I mentioned to my dealer to keep his eyes open for a Marlin 39A. I wanted it as a companion to my Winchester 9422 To my suprise he said a guy just traded one in. A mere $225 later and I walked out with my new gem. It is serial number D79XX. I looked on the birthdate page and it says 1947? -- I find it hard to believe with the condition of this gun, it is very good/excellent. It is a long barreled model, and from the heft of it I would have guessed it was a centerfire.

The only thing I would change is the rear sight. Does anyone know a good rear peep sight that I can get? Thanks.

#81 ·
Grappler said:
I was in my local gun shop today when I mentioned to my dealer to keep his eyes open for a Marlin 39A. I wanted it as a companion to my Winchester 9422 To my suprise he said a guy just traded one in. A mere $225 later and I walked out with my new gem. It is serial number D79XX. I looked on the birthdate page and it says 1947? -- I find it hard to believe with the condition of this gun, it is very good/excellent. It is a long barreled model, and from the heft of it I would have guessed it was a centerfire.

The only thing I would change is the rear sight. Does anyone know a good rear peep sight that I can get? Thanks.
You stole that rifle, if the woods fairly ding free and no blue wear, for about $200 less than the going market....congratulations! :t You rifle already has the tang d&t'd for a tang sight, so just buy the correct model # Marbles. It will increase your sight picture by about 4"-5"....and look a lot better.

#87 ·
I`m a new poster here so, Thanks for letting me register here with all you fine folks.
My `39 is a 1957 Vintage Golden `39a Mountie with a nice leather sling purchased at the same time as the rifle. I purchased it new and paid a big price of slightly less than $60.00 then. It is still completely stock. Thousands of rounds through it over all those years and never a problem. It occupies a special and handy place in the gunsafe.

SmallCal

#89 · (Edited)
fullchoke said:
Welcome to RFC SmallCal:Welcome: Glad to have you.

'57 Mountie with factory leather sling:t :t Don't guess you'd be interested in a 100% profit:whistle:
Thanks for the generous offer Fullchoke but I`ll pass right now. :) It`s just too much fun to take it out for a plinking session now and then. I have other Marlin and Anschutz .22s but this one is the favorite for general hunting and plinking.

Thanks for the welcome. I`ll be hanging around for a while getting the feel of this forum.

SmallCal :D Photo added,

#91 ·
I know I'm gravedigging, but I just wanted to add my post to the mix.... :D

Just got back from Thanksgiving with the family, and mine shoots great. I think it will shoot better than I will for a long time. Glad I finally got it, and probably shouldn't have waited so long, but better late than never.

#92 ·
Count me in on the 39'er club. 1st rifle I ever owned - a 54 bought used - have owned it for 44 years - open sights. Can't focus on front sight too well but it is not drilled and tapped and just want to keep it "pure". It's a little dinged here and there - blueing - signs of age. I'd never part with her though. I did alot of hunting and plinking with it in my younger years and was always amazed at it's accuracy. Shot better than I with open sights.:t

#96 ·
My new 39A is 4 weeks old. Just had Lyman receiver mounted by local gunsmith. Yesterday, sighted it in at 25 yards with Federal ammo at outdoor range and practiced first time with it. Then will move up to 50yds. Think will put a dab of white nail polish on front sight for faster sighting. I love my new 39 and will get involved with local Silhouette shooting club. This is my first firearm ever owned! Nothing like a lever action Marlin!