Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

39er's Club

182K views 564 replies 353 participants last post by  joe45c 
#1 ·
Who all has a 39? I'd like to see how many folks on here have them.

#27 ·
Iecently inherited a family 1934 model 39 that has been around since my great grandmother. It was her varmint rifle, my grandmother's, my father's, and now mine. Years of being in seattle led to irreversible damage and it was restored last year. It looks gorgeous now and is my first lever action. Forver and for always lever action now. Awesome rifle.

#32 ·
I had one

the best shooting 22 I have ever owned was a 39a, back about 25years ago.
I have owned two others scince then. one would not shoot into 3" at 25yds:eek: with any ammo, I brought it back to the place of purchase and they exchanged it for another one, this one would group a little better, 1 1/2 at 25, but the take down screw would have to be tightened down bout every 30 or 40 shots!!:mad:
Now for my question,
now days, are the 39a's fairly accurate out of the box?
I love the feel of them, just kinda leery about my last experiance with marlin:confused:

#33 ·
I think you got a pair of duds. Both of mine will shoot into a half inch at 50 yards from a rest. This is more than acceptable for a sporting rifle in my opinion but the beauty of the 39 is not how it groups from a rest, but its near perfect balance and shootability when afield. I dont think the 39 is the best .22 ever for shooting groups, but i DO think its the finest sporting .22 ever made.

#35 ·
39A Golden

I have a 39A Golden. Traded for it in Juneau, AK back in 1987. It doesn't have the "read the manual" instructions on the bbl like the new ones do. How do you find out what year mine was made??? Anyone know?? The S/N is: 23271711

It's a really good shooting 22. I took it to the range a few months ago and shot it at 100 yds with Winchester Wildcat ammo at a prairie dog target. The shoot NC type. All 10 rounds were inside the prairie dog. Pretty impressive for an old 39A you ask me. Stock's a bit rough but the blueing and bore are impeccable.
bearclaw46

#38 ·
Yeppers, I have a 83 39A and have loved it the minute I picked it off the shelf at the pawn shop about 15 or so years ago. I have also just yesterday ordered a new one from G.M.They had to get one from someplace in New York. I like my older ones smooth wood but I saw a new one about a week ago at a local pawn shop and the wood was very nice and I do like checkering. If the knothead didn't want over a $100.00 more than G.M. I would have baught locally for sure, but a hundred will buy alot of ammo! I would like to have a mountie myself someday. 39's are far and few between used around here. I baught the only used one I have ever seen. 4X nikon with cci mimi mags will part a squirrl's scalp at 63 steps all day long.:) I would be interested in a mountie should someone have too many.

#39 ·
I have a 39A that was bought new in '79...and I love it. My brother originally bought it ...and a year or so later he needed money and wanted to sell it ...which is how I got it. And I'm not parting with it.
But in reading the this thread, I saw some nice wood on other guns ...mines plain, no checkering etc...and those guns look sweet. I may have to find a way to upgrade the stock on mine.
I'm also a lover of octagon barrels ...I've not seen a 39 that had an octagon barrel ....well, not a newer one ('80's and up). I had no idea ....guess I'll have to look for one.... I've always like the pistol grip stock over the straight stock too. Would love to get or make up a 39A with pistol grip stock and 20" octagon barrel.

-Cajun

#41 ·
Well...........since somebody brought it up:D

I have 3 of 'em (certainly NOT enough)

A 1959 Mountie that I put a tang sight on (which I highly recomend). This is my shooter.

A 1970 Century LTD with the Octogon BBL.

I also have a 1970 PRESENTATION CENTURY. It's got the nicest wood and engraving. I'll try and post some pictures.

#44 ·
Just for giggles I called around to some pawn shops today and guess what! I have now baught the second used 39 I have seen for sale .:D Its a 1997 A.S. real good wood ta metal fit average wood grain , checkering is all good as is bore and blueing. No extra holes or a rear sight. I traded a real nice 552 and $125.00 out the door. I had $180.00 in the 552 and cleared a 4x NIKON, and a Bushnell Banner as I had sold the 552 two times before I traded it off this time. You gotta love them beer drinking buds! So I am now the proud owner of 2 of the finest lever 22,s ever built:t :D SOMEBODY SLAP :D ME! Gander Mt. said no problem on the ordered one as they needed to stock some anyway, Good bunch in Sherman Tx. G.M.

#45 ·
I have a 39 AS I found at walley world several years back. I believe I paid about $250.00 back then. It is one solid firearm and it shares time with 3 Model 60's and 2 Henry rifles a 10/22 Rugar plus a HS pump. I love them all, but the 39 may be the best of the lot. Marlins are addictive.