Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Scope for 39A

4K views 24 replies 23 participants last post by  728shooter 
#1 ·
I have an inherited 1958 manufacturered 39A. It currently has a tiny old scope on it, small field of view, super sensitive eye relief, move your head a fraction of an inch and loose your sight picture. And suggestions for a replacement scope? As much as I want good quality, I want a scope that will look ok on the gun; nothing huge, hopefully something with a "vintage" look to it. The main use of this rifle is plinking and head shots on squirrels. My 60 year old eyeballs no longer tolerate open sights.

#7 ·
I'll also second the Leupold 2-7x28 vx1. I also had the Grubee Wolf Pup 4x on anther 39A. That is a nice scope with a 3/4" tube, a copy of the old Redfield Baby. It has a vintage look and matches the size well but the Leupold at just a little more cost is worth the extra money.

#8 ·
I'm by no means sure, but it sounds like the OP has one of the 3/4 inch side of barrel mounts. If that's the case, his options are very limited, as stated above. The old B4 and C4 Weavers left a lot to be desired, but the J2.5 and J4 were very good scopes. Although not the brightest by modern standards, they were very good optically and have the necessarily long eye relief to work quite well with such a mount. They would also be period correct and would look just right on an older M39A.

#25 ·
I concur with Bill. Guns from that era were mostly 3/4 inch and the Weaver J2.5 & J4 fit the bill. Have used both, excellent optics, (if you can still find one that has clear lenses). I also have a couple of B4 and B6 Weavers with clear optics, along with a Weaver 344 mounted on my Remington 12C pump. Long tube, period correct, clear optics, and plus, they just really look cool!

#10 ·
The scopes like I have on my 1954 with the side of the barrel mount were ideal for the Marlin 39A. Had the adjustments on the eye piece and allowed the full length of the tube to move it back or forward for the correct eye relief. I bought this scope NIB from a dealer at a show for $80. It was never on a rifle until I got it. I have no idea when these were made but this one works great and is clear compared to other small tube scopes. Probably from late '50's or early '60's. Mossberg 4X.

#13 ·
I too wanted a Leupold VX-1 2-7X28 for my new to me 1957 39A but they are no longer being produced as per the Leupold website. Closest to it is the rimfire VX-Freedom 2-7x33 which is a whopping 2" longer.
I'm not one that would buy a used scope as I made that mistake once before but I am a Leupold fan so I bought the Freedom rimfire model-no regrets to date.

Attachments

#15 · (Edited)
As noted the Leupold 2-7x28 has been discontinued but last time I looked it was still available on the Midway web site and maybe elsewhere. Have not seen one in person, but the new Leupold Freedom Rimfire 2-7 appears to be similar in appearance to the higher priced original 2-7x28.
Re the OP's 39A being drilled and tapped for a scope, I believe Marlin D&T the 39A starting in 1956. He says his rifle is a 1958 so hopefully it is D&T.

#17 ·
I think a scoped 39A is a form of heresy and prefer a Marbles tang peep sight, but that's just my taste. Having said that, though, the Sightron S1 rimfire is a very nice little scope for about $125 last time I looked. 3-9x, if I remember correctly. parallax-free at 50 yds.

#20 ·
For my first M39AS (first AS year), I had a Bushnell Trophy 3-9. I stupidly sold that rifle to make room for another, and immediately regretted it as it was so accurate and well balanced.

After a multi-year hunt that began the day after selling the original rifle, I finally found a mint M39A that was as accurate and classic as the first rifle (both were smooth walnut w/o checkering).

This time I decided I was going to get a higher power scope and bought a glossy Leupold Vari-X II 4-12X40AO. That scope was lighter and brighter than the Bushnell which I liked, but for squirrels, the 12X was deadly and the AO kept the parallax question at bay.

Most of my hunting was at lower-mid magnifications of 6X or 8X, but the option of going to 12X with a lever gun that could shame many bolt action was worth it.

#21 · (Edited)
I have had excellent results with this scope from Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Monstrum-Tactical-S330P-Ultra-Compact-Prism/dp/B00QSLYMIQ/ref=sr_1_25?crid=1XG44AI15ZVDM&dchild=1&keywords=monstrum+scopes+for+rifles&qid=1579889969&sprefix=monstrum+scopes%2Caps%2C199&sr=8-25
It is a Monstrum 3x S330P fixed prism scope with the ability to light a black reticle in red or green. It doesn't look period correct of course but it is a wonderful and small scope. You would need to add a pic mount for it. No need for variable power in most .22's anyway and this one has great clarity for a good price.
I have one mounted on a Marlin model 94 in .357 Magnum and it looks and works well.

#22 ·
I had way back in the late 50's a Weaver B4 (I think) on mine, a little 3/4" tube scope. It long ago bit the dust and is gone. Optics were great but fine for a young teen age shooter then. As I remember it looked better than a lot of the larger scopes being used today. I did use it to take a couple of squirrels, but can also remember a scope that was brighter in dim woods conditions would have been better. I honestly wish someone would make a small tube scope today with good optics, and I know that they would not be as bright as the larger scopes, but could have a place on some of the small rimfire sporters.

#23 ·
Vintage Weaver would be my choice

You didn't really say what sort of shooting you plan to do, but I'll assume it's going to be plinking or small game at moderate ranges with a 39A. Not that a 39A isn't accurate at long range, but seriously? My pick for the right look on that rifle would be one of the Weaver K2.5 scopes. They're not bulky; 1" tube gives decent light gathering without a bell on the objective, optics are typical Weaver, crisp and clear with good eye relief, and the most common reticle, post and crosshair, is a good choice for a .22 field gun, quick to pick up and easy to adjust holdover and windage. Best of all, it's a scope that's as hell-for-stout rugged as your Marlin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.