Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Marlin 1897

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  vepr762 
#1 · (Edited)
It has been a long time since I was here but I thought I would see if someone here could help with a little info on an 1897 take down. Originally sold as a bicycle gun because in the canvas bag that came with it it fit under the center bar of a bicycle.

It is in rough shape and I hope to get it back to at least shooter stage. It currently works as a single shot because the magazine has issues. That is the info I am seeking.

Most all tube magazines I have ever seen have the outer tube mounted to the barrel and the inner tube is removable with the spring and follower mounted in the inner tube. All the schematics I can find show the parts this way.

This one however has the inner tube mounted to the barrel with spring and follower inside and the outer tube releases with a button and then pulls out only far enuff to reveal the hole where cartridge are inserted.

If I am seeing it correctly the outer tube has a notch that engages the follower to pull it up the tube to allow loading. The follower is missing on this one and some one has installed what looks like a plastic plug you put in a wall to mount a screw in. In its current state it is a single shot.

If any one has any info about this or a picture of how the tube works or better still some where that parts can be had would be great. The forearm is missing also as well as the screws for the cap on the forearm and the butt plate.

Serial number look up says it was made in 1898.

Thanks for looking.

See less See more
#2 ·
The follower was the same for all Marlin rimfires of that era. It will be tough to find, but not impossible.

What is the barrel length and does it have a "button" or a little "lever" on the mag tube. If it has a button it is not the original mag tube assembly.

Just because it has a bag doesn't make it a bicycle gun. If you ordered a factory letter from the Cody museum to confirm it, then you have something of value, even as a parts gun.

#3 ·
You are correct sir. It is actually a lever rather than a button and I don't have the bag that is just something I found out researching it.

Barrel length is 23 inches.

Serial number is 1724xx.

Top of the receiver says Marlin Saftey.

Just behind the hammer says Model 1897.

I am unfamiliar with the Cody museum. How would I go about contacting them?

#6 ·
Hope this helps. Also try Jack First gun parts.
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/marlinglenfield/rifles-marlin/1897
Half the fun is the hunt. :gun4:
Thank you. They list the complete magazine tube but it is out of stock.They show a follower but I can't see how it will work.

It is difficult to explain without you seeing the parts but the inner tube is mounted to the barrel and has the spring and follower in it. The outer tube slides out and pulls the follower and spring up to allow the cartridges to be loaded so there is a connection between the two. Once the cartridges are loaded the outer tube is slid back down over the inner tube so the connection between the outer tube and the follower must be broken so the tube can slide back down into place.

This is what i am having trouble seeing. I can't find a picture or a schematic that shows this. They all show the newer style where the outer tube is mounted and the inner comes out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.