Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

39D trouble shoot

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Gizzy 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a friends 39D I'm thinking the lever screw/bushing is worn. The lever will not open the bolt or move at all and if you pull back the hammer the trigger doesn't go back far enough to fire the gun unless you pull the lever back toward the but stock. Everything inside looks ok but the lever has a lot of side to side play I checked the screw and it's tight. Any info will be greatly appreciated thank you.

#2 ·
In front of the lever on the bottom of the receiver is a screw. Make sure it's tight. It holds a flat piece of spring steel inside the receiver that puts pressure on the pivot point of the lever. If the spring is bent or broken your lever won't stay up and may seem loose. If the spring is bent you can carefully bend it to create more pressure on the lever.
The pivot point of the lever is designed to be loose. The lever screw should be threaded into the receiver tightly and the lever should still be able to move around freely with the receiver opened up. It will seem as though it has too much wobble but that is ok. It's actually the other half of the receiver that holds the lever tight once the halves of the receiver are reassembled.
It sounds to me like your take down screw is too tight. The large take down screw on the right side of the receiver can make a difference in the effort it takes to move the lever and work the action. Try loosening it a little with a coin, not a screw driver. If that doesn't do the trick then break it down again and tighten the take down screw but not quite as much as it was originally. You will notice quite a difference in how the action works.
Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.