Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Stock repair

2K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  DGNY 
#1 ·
I find myself in possession of a Marlin 39A from 1951, the so called "Peanut" model (looks a lot more like a cashew to me). The butt stock is cracked in two places. Can this be repaired? If so, can anyone recommend a wood worker to do this?

Thanks.

#2 ·
It depends on how badly it is cracked. If it is a simple split with no loss of wood, a repair is fairly simple to do yourself. If the crack is in the wrist area(most common break point), it may require a dowel or pin to strengthen the area repaired. I suggest you post some pictures for a better assessment and some pinpoint advice. If you don't want to do it yourself, any good woodworking repair shop could do it without involving a gunsmith.

#3 ·
You are on the right track to see if it can be repaired: the peanut stock is shaped directly, especially in the pistol grip,can't just put any stock on there and have the gripcap fit. Could go with a custom stock,but it wouldn't be a peanut anymore. Good luck with it, mine is great and feels good in the hands. It was my favorite until I custom stocked my 1949 39A.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

#4 ·
You are on the right track to see if it can be repaired: the peanut stock is shaped directly, especially in the pistol grip,can't just put any stock on there and have the gripcap fit. Could go with a custom stock,but it wouldn't be a peanut anymore. Good luck with it, mine is great and feels good in the hands. It was my favorite until I custom stocked my 1949 39A.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

#5 ·
How long has the stock been cracked? I ask this because if it has been cracked for quite a while and you or others have been regularly oiling/treating the wood stock, most likely some has seeped into the cracks so water based glues may not adhere as well as an epoxy or an petroleum based glue-you only want to do this repair once.
With no posted photos, hard to tell if it's worth the effort of a possible botched glue job.
Hope it goes well as in "saving the peanut".

#8 ·
Cub308, I'm in N.E. GA. To everyone, thank you for the replies, but after pulling the stock and looking at it, I have to say it's trashed. It's split internally as well with pieces falling off. I don't know what the previous owner did (maybe they didn't know that it has to be on half-cock to separate), but this this butt stock is done. I'll put a regular 39A stock on it for now until I can find a good replacement. It looks like a 39A Golden stock might work...

Again, thanks for the attempted help

#10 · (Edited)
Take a clamp and close all the cracks -- drill into the stock at slightly different angles --- open the cracks & squirt in copious amounts of Gorilla wood glue - re-clamp cracks and pound in wood dowels saturated with glue --- walk away for at least two days --

( P/S - don't forget to scratch pressure relief gouges in the dowels )

This T-53 stock has 23 dowels --

#13 ·
Ok, I didn't want to replace the stock because that (and that it was born the same year I was) was why I bought it in the first place. I sent it to Williams Gun Sights (they do a lot more than just sights), and I think they did a good job. I can't see where the work was done, and it's now tight as new. As was said before, it feels really good in the hands. Plus the numbers still match...

Thanks for all the suggestions (and photos), but I don't have skill or training in this kind thing, so I thought it best to let a professional handle it.

Bushy tailed tree rats had best beware!

#17 ·
Just wanted to offer congratulations and best wishes to the original poster. Those rifles are pretty neat.

So, it is wonderful to have one fixed so that it brings joy to the owner, and can be viewed in the future as an example, albeit repaired, of one of the little classics that Marlin provided for our enjoyment and use.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.