Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Marlin 39A - Disassembly/Assembly

28K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  OldWolf 
#1 · (Edited)
#5 ·
I don't know when this was published, but I heard it was in a large book with similar information for other firearms.

Do you know what year the firing pin retaining stud was started? I don't remember for sure, but I don't recall if my 1981 39A has one. I can just pick the pin out of the bolt on mine, so maybe not.

Do you have a picture of the pin that you can post?

#11 · (Edited)
Here is a pic of the bolt firing pin retaining stud on my 2009 model 39a. Marlin added the retaining stud in 1988.
As the picture indicates, the outer edge of the stud is just enough to keep the firing pin from being removed.

It's main purpose is to keep the pin from marring the top of the reciever when cycling the action.

Personally I would prefer being able to remove the firing pin now and then, if for no other reason than to give it a good cleaning.
I believe the stud can be removed without causing any harm to the bolt and it's function. I might give the folks at Marlin a call just to make sure that is indeed the case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.