Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Where Have all the 39a's Gone....?

2K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  000Robert 
#1 ·
Been to two local gun shows in my area (S. Fla.) recently, rather large shows at convention centers and such. Did not see a single Marlin 39a for sale anywhere. In years past, could usually find 8-10 for sale, even people carrying them around for sale. Not no more....

I know they are out-of-production now by Remington, not sure since when, but there must still be about a million+ vintage ones still out there. Where did they all go? Are those that still have them now realizing that they are becoming more scarce (and valuable), hence, they are keeping them locked up in their safes? Have others noticed the scarcity of them for sale in recent times?

I personally prefer the vintage, pre-1970 era 39's for my collection. Will continue to seek them (and buy them) when I can, but getting harder to find all the time.

--728shooter

#4 ·
I saw one at the last gun show, a beautiful 1950 in about 98%. The price was $575 but I talked to one guy who said the seller would go to $525. I was surprised it was still there after four hours. I talked to one guy who said he would have bought it but 1950's weren't tapped on top for a scope rail and he needed to use a scope. I have seven 39A's including a 1950 so was able to resist myself.

#9 ·
Yes, I am aware of GB listings but most that I see there are either "overly embellished", in need a bit of "TLC" to make them presentable because they have "issues", or they have a starting price of far more than what they are realistically worth. My reason for this post was not to say that 39's are not available anywhere, just that I don't see them at gun shows any more (at least in my area) like I used to.

Have more 39a's than I need but always looking for that certain year or model that would make a collection complete (is there really such a thing...?) Just curious as to what those in other areas have experienced as to what's available in their locale....

--728shooter

#11 ·
I have six JM-stamped Mounties, two Century Ltd.s, and one regular JM 39A, so I keep an obsessive-compulsive eye out for guns and on prices. I go mainly to gunshows in the upper Midwest as well as to Tulsa twice a year. The prices I see on decent guns are $500 and up for the regular 39As and about $100 more on Mounties. I've seen supplies becoming smaller and prices getting higher in the several years I've been accumulating Marlins. As recently as five years ago I'd see regular 39As for $400; today, not unless they're pretty well-used (i.e., beat-up:)).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.