Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

39M on GB

3K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  728shooter 
#1 ·
A couple days ago, I was prowling around the on-line auction sites and found a 1982 Marlin 39M in nice condition (except a couple of small blemish spots on barrel). Seller rated bluing 95%, nice wood but couple tiny handling marks, excellent bore and mechanical condition. Included is the original owners manual (no box)
The seller is a reputable gun shop that has long history and good ratings on GB. Gun looks really nice in the photos.
Did I overpay for it at $705 ( +$45 shipping). Also how desirable is the 39M to marlin 39 owners? Were many of them made?

#3 ·
I've paid less for a Mountie but also paid what you did for another Mountie. Maybe if you waited one would come along that was less money but maybe not. In the meantime now you have one. Enjoy it, they are one of the most enjoyable .22 rifles out there and they aren't making any more.

#10 ·
You did fine

Some photos from Sell[/ATTACH]er:
Mine has the Cowboy square lever like yours. I think as long as it has clean blueing, decent wood and functions smoothly, you did just fine.
The Mountie is better for me in the woods for fast handling and I think it combines the best between a Marlin and a Winchester.
Shoot it often, you'll love it.:gun4:

#7 ·
The Mounties are not as common as the the full sized model with the 24" barrel so they tend to bring more of a premium dollar wise. Also the one you show looks to be in very nice condition . Did you pay too much ? ..you would probably look for a while to find one in the condition yours appears to be . Also they have been out of production for some time now . You probably paid about the going rate .

#14 ·
there an old saying... dont play if you cant afford it.

i know you dont like that answer but its true.

But you may like this. If you decide to keep that rifle for several years or so and if you decide to sell it, i can bet you will make money on it as long as you dont abuse.

Everyone wants a sure thing too.

Buy for fun. If you want a sure thing, there are better investments.

#15 ·
I have a 1955 Mountie that I paid $700 off GB. I was glad to get it too. It was in very good shape and is an excellent shooter.

Today I was at my LGS an bought a 1966 Mountie for $525, it also is really good shape. The owner passed away and his brother sold it to the shop. So you can get good deals but $700 is not a bad deal either. Just think in a year you will forget about the price and instead of looking for one cheaper you will have one to enjoy. Time goes to quick and enjoy it while you can.

#18 ·
That is the way it usually works. I've got great deals on a few, fair deals on most and I've overpaid for a few.

I try not to overpay too often, but every once in a while there is a firearm I really want, that is hard to find. In that case, if you want it, you pay the price.

#19 ·
A few years ago, while traveling around the state and as usual, always keeping my eye open for gun shops, and even pawn shops, I stopped in a rather remote gun shop to see what he had. Nothing remarkable in what I saw except for what looked like a Marlin Mountie on the rack, rough shape, metal with black spray paint on it, looked almost like it had been in a fire. Asked what he wanted for it, ended up "negotiating" it for $150 out-the-door.

Turned out to be a 1957 Mountie. As I said, rough shape, but I ended up stripping it down, paint on metal came off easily to reveal decent bluing underneath, furniture needed a good cleaning and a mild refinishing over the existing finish.

Tuned out to be a beautiful shooter, amazingly accurate with open sights, would be one of the last guns I would ever sell. You never know what you may find out there, I know I could never replace it for 5x times what I paid for it. Like they say, they don't make them any more, so cost is very subjective...

--728shooter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.