Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

My 1966 39A Golden Mounty

3K views 32 replies 15 participants last post by  jstanfield103 
#1 · (Edited)
My completed 1966 39A Golden Mountie. As stated in a previous post, I walked in to my LGS to pay for a new Browning BL-22 Micro Midas that was on order and due in the next day.

I never ever see any Marlins in this shop. Waiting on the attendant to get freed up I was looking around and found this 1966 39A Golden Mountie hanging on the wall. Asked the attendant if I could go behind the counter and pick it up. He knows me well, said yes. To my wife's worries I did. Well after giving her the puppy dog eye's she forked over a check and home came this beautiful rifle. I put a JM hammer spur (man that thing cost on ebay) and mad my own rifle sling for it. Put my usual favorite red dot (Millett SP-1) on it. Wrapped the leaver and ready to go. Everything the way I like it.
Here is a very bad picture of it. Cloudy and another rainy winter day in Kentucky. That is what you get in southern Kentucky in the winter. Rain.

See less See more
#6 ·
I picked up one off gunbroker a couple of years ago. Just looking at the pictures, stock on mine is in better shape in the wrist area, and no freckling like on your receiver, but then I paid about 125 more. I would have taken one in that shape in a heartbeat.

#9 ·
Thanks guy's,
The sight rail I bought off ebay six months ago when I saw it listed. The front hood was included.

There is no freckling on the receiver at all. That is my cheap camera, it was over cast and raining out so I really did not have any good lighting. That camera really made the pictures look bad.

The Millett SP-1 I like because it has a 3mil Red Dot so it can be used at 25 yards for small targets and does not cover them up. I like a tube type red dot because I can shoot better with them. They help me center the dot easier. At least for me anyway.

#15 ·
The Millett SP-1 I like because it has a 3mil Red Dot so it can be used at 25 yards for small targets and does not cover them up. I like a tube type red dot because I can shoot better with them. They help me center the dot easier. At least for me
anyway.

BTW, any good red dot wether tube or reflex, (Millet included), is parrallax free. You don't need to center the dot in the fov. Just put the dot on the target and pull the trigger. Doesn't matter if dot is off center. Just wanted to clarify.

#21 ·
jkingrph,
those are UTG Dovetail-to-Picatinny Pair Low Profile Rail Adapters ( https://www.ebay.com/itm/UTG-Doveta...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 )

They work really well, I have bought 4 pair of these for my rifles. I have two pair on Browning BL-22's, one pair on a Winchester 9422, and one pair on this Marlin 39A Mountie. Great for putting scopes and red dots on rim fire rails. Even have a pair put away for the next rim fire rifle or pistol I find. :)

#22 · (Edited)
Several,maybe 20?,years ago I bought my 39a 1950 4 numeral serial # and I hope and intend I will not ever leave it until I leave this world. It has a stock factory gold bead up front with well made (excellent quality) blued steel aperture sight with click adj. Knobs for traverse and elev. I always thought it was a Lyman but it has no visible name name on it and is stamped with an A on the bar in back of the aperture ,unless it is marked with the name underneath somewhere,very good sight ,not exactly a perfect fit because I had to use a copper spacer to fit it to the side where the screws are to bring it about a 1 /32 " for clearance but as I said very good sight,target grade.

#23 ·
shootj2003
If you have a picture of that Marlin I sure would enjoy seeing it. I have a 1955 model that you can not tell the difference between that one and this 1966 model. I ended up putting a scope on the 55 with the barrel side mount factory drilled. I have a period correct skinny hammer extension coming for it. I really will enjoy it with the scope on it. As soon as I get the extension off to the range to sight it in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.