Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

39er's Club

182K views 564 replies 353 participants last post by  joe45c 
#1 ·
Who all has a 39? I'd like to see how many folks on here have them.

#475 ·
Hey guys I have added a couple more 39's to the stable. So it was time for a group picture. I picked up the 39A a couple weeks ago, spent some time last weekend on the range with it, my wife and my daughter. We put several hundred rounds downrange, what a sweet shooter, silky smooth and deadly accurate.

Top one is a 1951 39A with the brass peanut insert in the grip cap
Middle is a 1973 39 Octagon - limited run only made 2140 of these
Bottom is a 39 Century Limited

Attachments

#483 ·
My 39A was made in 1967 and has a story, In 1966 I met a fellow who bought a new 39A and could not sight it in. He threw it in a corner in disgust and offered it to me real cheap. I bought it,took it home and tied a cotton thread between the front sight and the hammer. THE BARREL POINTED A FEW DEGREES TO THE RIGHT! I called MARLIN with what I found and was asked to return the gun ASAP...which I did. They phoned me and verified that the receiver thread was off center and wanted to replace that gun with a new one. They would also pick one with beautiful wood. I happily accepted and have since enjoyed the gun....a 1967.

#485 ·
After they auto-debited my bank account for my annual renewal my Photobucket account has gone on the fritz. So, I'm experimenting with attaching photographs without a host site.

Actually picked this one up at the San Angelo gun show months ago, but only got a photo more recently. It's K-prefix rifle from 1953 and with what one supposes is the last of the Ballard rifling. A good ol' honest rifle out of West Texas ranching country. The show exhibitor seller said it came from some place west of Snyder, Texas. It had fine red dust in its cracks and crevasses before a good bath.

Scratches a long held itch I've had for a Model 39. So far only a cursory inaugrial plinking session was had, revealing it to give perfect function and good "can" accuracy at 40 yards or so.

Attachments

#488 · (Edited)
1952 Marlin 39A

Hello everyone! I am new to the forum. Some family members owed my son some money so they traded him the 1952 39A and some other stuff.
I am going to fix it up for my grandson's first rifle. I fitted a brand new firing pin in it so far and made some other adjustments. It has the first series extractor. The bullseye is missing, but the hole is intact and not messed up. All the numbers match so it is all original for the most part.

#493 ·
I have a J, 1952 my dad bought me new that year, think I was in second grade. then a couple of Mounties, a P-1952 and a 69 model. Have a Weaver K3 German #3 reticule on the 69 and planning on installing a K4 with post & crosshair on the 52 standard rifle as soon as I get an original Marlin tip off base.

#494 ·
Marlin 39A a peanut from 1951
Marlin 39A 90th Anniversary Presentation Chrome
Marlin 39M 90th Anniversary Presentation Chrome
Marlin 39 Carbine from 1965
Marlin 39D from 1971 :heartpump

I love Marlins. :yippee:
Unfortunately they have become too valuable to hunt with anymore so now I'm using a Ruger 77/22 All Weather Boat Tail from 1984 for small game hunting.

#495 ·
thinking about selling my 39a made in 1952

I have a Marlin 39a in very nice all original condition. Made in 1952. I have owned it for about 20 years, it has been stored in my safe all this time. I moved two years ago out to a rural area where I can shoot, so cleaned and shot it for the first time, and it is a super sweet rifle. I fired one tube of ammo through it and cleaned it again, so now it is in pristine condition. I believe it has been shot very little. I tried to upload a photo, but it is beyond me how to do it. I can send photos to anyone who is interested. I am tempted to keep it, but I need to shoot with scopes now, and I have several other rimfire rifles mounted with scopes, plus I mostly shoot airguns.

#499 ·
joined the club... again

I had a 1961 Golden 39A Mountie stolen in a burglary four years ago. I finally got around to replacing it with a 1963. My last one was missing a sight hood, sling swivels, and a hammer extension. This ones got everything but a sight hood and a vintage Larence No 5 rifle strap.

Reading through the FAQs trying to figure out how to load a pic.

BTW, the hammer extension is an original JM. pretty Cool.

#501 ·
I joined the club recently. Bought a '77 39A that's been rode hard and put away wet. The bluing isn't too bad but the stock has a couple deep gouges in it. Was missing the cartridge guide spring and screw as well. I installed those parts last night and now it cycles very well. I was surprised at how accurate it is. I could put 5 shots in a dime-sized group at 40 yards off my bench. Impressive, to say the least. Usually I'm satisfied if my 22's are minute of squirrel head at that range. I'm looking forward to taking this one out when the leaves start falling.

Mac

#506 ·
Every rifle marlin turned out since the 60’s have the same tang dimensions, but hand finishing may induce a few very minor variations in thickness, so swapping stocks may have a bit more or less wood necessary at the tang. Since you would like to black it out, adding material wouldn’t be a problem. The firearm will take some trimming to fit it to the front of the receiver and the forend cap. May also need to bed the bbl channel if the donor bbl was a thicker profile than the 39’s. Some of the older 39A’s and M’s had a heavier taper bbl........ Very doable, just will need a little tweaking.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#507 ·
Just discovered this thread, I have two.

I have an old Ballard rifling Marlin 39A rifle at the house up North and a newer Marlin 39A carbine at the house down South. I love them both. When the local club has a rimfire steel challenge match I like using these. Everyone else is using scoped semi-automatic rifles and I am using the iron sights. I find it fun and in some cases I end up doing about as well as others. These seem to run more reliably than at least some of the semi-auto rifles. They just have to put up with me taking a bit longer to reload between targets. At one time I used standard velocity shorts as I can put a lot in the tube and can shoot multiple phases without the need to reload. But the timer could not pick up the noise signature to run the timer as it was so quiet. They had to look at a watch and best guess my times. Fun at the range.

#508 ·
Another reason to own a 39A..... they typically are more accurate than they should be. When, after finding its favorite ammo, you can hang with the scoped semi’s, that’s gotta really mess with their heads LOL. Nicely done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk