Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Picked up a nice 39a today

7K views 33 replies 26 participants last post by  jkingrph 
#1 · (Edited)
Went to some local large yard sales and I bought a really nice 1980 39a. It had a scope on it with a nice leather target sling. I took the scope off and shot it. It would not eject or rechamber the next load. I took it down and gave it a good cleaning and now it seems to be fine except it is hard to close the bolt at times. The bolt stiffens up at about 80% closed and with some force will close. Is this normal and need to just shoot it or do I need to repair it. The gun appears to have been fired very little.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Other than the ejection issues you first had, the rest is normal. These guns are built like a tank, and super tight when new. My guess is it has not been shot enough yet to break it in. You are fine. I would inspect the ejector, its screw and spring. Check that cleaning screw at the ejector that has the half slot in it to make sure it is turned enough for the ejector to clear. But that stiffness is normal. Also, I have owned many 39A's over my 58 year lifetime, and have never seen an issue with the take down screw being too tight or too loose. Rem,ember its a thumb screw. I have even used a quarter int eh slot to snug it, and no issues ever.

If you have an issue that the tightness of the takedown screw fixes, you still have the issue. That takedown screw ws just a band aid for another problem inside the gun.

#9 · (Edited)
Very nice pick up, that is a beauty, I have been on a bit of a 39 buying binge myself lately. I would pull it apart and make sure there are no burrs or rough spots on the lever or the bolt. Make sure all metal to metal contact areas are smooth and well lubricated. Never hurts to smooth up the trigger parts while your in there. There were videos on you tube for trigger/action jobs on 39's. I did my 39 Century Limited several years ago as it was rough and clunky and I wanted it to be super smooth like my Henry 22. Its not as smooth as my Henry but it light years better than it was.

I did find the instructions I used when I did mine, I saved in word format, if anyone wants a copy PM me you email and I will forward to you, they show all areas to polish

#13 ·
Thanks for all the replies.I have shot it and the action is working a lot smoother. Also cleaned it and polished the outside with Renaissance Wax. Also picked up a nos Tasco Japan 4x32 from the same period and installed it with a Weaver base and Leupold low rings. Now I need to zero and use it.

Attachments

#30 ·
I no longer trust Flitz

... I'll clean the bueing up with some Flitz then I'll use the Renaissance wax on everything ...
I know I'm in the minority, but I no longer use Flitz - I used it on a to work on a small speckle of "something" on a nice 39D a few years ago, and it thinned the bluing on the side of the receiver. I nearly laid an egg! I was sick that I didn't notice it going on, but when I did notice, the damage was done and I had a nice spot on the side of the receiver that was painfully, obviously lighter than the remainder.

Threw all of my Flitz into the trash that day, and it's never been back on the property. I understand that it's not supposed to do that, I read the package and all... Your mileage may vary, of course, it's just that my experience has led me to distrust it.

The sick feeling has subsided some over the years, but it's ghost is still with me.

'tool

#18 ·
I’m not as experienced with 39A’s by far, as some here, I did however own a CL for a while which was shot very little before I took it home. Initially I found the take-down screw to be much tighter than thumb tight/snugg. It was very difficult to cycle through it’s entire range. After I disassembled, did a thorough clean and inspect (was clean inside but dry as a), when I put it back together I only tightened the thumb screw to normal snugg. Rifle cycle fine then, a bit stiff, but that was to be expected since it clearly needed some break-in. Wish that model had been the normal size 39A, I’d have kept it for sure.

#22 ·

Sweet find listen to Gizzy he's forgot more about 39s then most of us know. I have a 1979 looks just like yours I like the slender forearm on those year models. Congratulations man that thing looks like is been a closet queen, she will loosen up keep it lightly oiled and run some ammo down her.

#29 ·
and i hope you do as well , i was not meaning to be antagonistic it just seemed there might have been a little resentment that i probably misinterpreted , i dont like to see anyone get ripped off - sometimes there are deals to be found when someone cares little of the money but wants to be rid of something - even better when they want 'you' to have it ,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.