Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Front sights for 1951 Marlin 39A

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  STRUGL4X'SC 
#1 ·
Thanks again for the help provided by RFC toward my purchase of a used Marlin 39A for a shooter. I'm very happy with the 1951 39A that someone on RFC pointed out to me, and I purchased it.

I want to shoot this rifle with iron sights only. I purchased a Marbles tang sight for the rifle, and am very happy with it. I'm getting good groups at 100 yards with the factory hooded (bead) front sight. But to do this, I have to have a large white aiming circle, to center the bead / hood / tang peep in - which obscures the 'point of impact' with the centered front sight bead.

Consequently, I want to buy a used front sight, where I can cut the bead off, and use it as a post. Or, is such a post front sight already available for the Marlin 39A? I want to keep the present front sight unmodified, and just have another (post) front sight that I can use in place of the factory bead front sight.

Can you please suggest a source for used Marlin 39A parts, in particular for the 1951 front sight. Also, does anyone know if different front sights are available for a 1951 39A?

Thanks,

Bob H.

See less See more
#3 ·
I think you are on the right track, the Lyman is great, but will be really high, and look out of place on that ramp. I agree also that the bead is way too big for target work, mine was already chipped at the bead, so I just filed it to a thin blade. I don't think you will have much trouble getting a replacement to file, just a 3/8 dovetail, file and make permanent flat black.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

#4 ·
You might be over thinking all of this. Peeps are different. You do not need anything up front that the rear peep can fit around perfectly. Here is how it works. You look through the peep... forget its there, and concentrate on the front bead on your target. Your brain automatically centers your eye in that peep. You just have to let go, and allow your brain to do what it already knows how to do. You have to just trust it.

As far as the bead being too large, all you need is to remove the hood, slide that bead out, and install a post type sight of the proper height. But forget all the hood peep centering stuff.

#7 ·
Hmm...I guess I didn't phrase my question quite right. Apologies. Dovetail post sights are offered from many different vendors at many different heights, measured from the bottom of the dovetail to the top of the post. Obviously they can't all be the same height as factory.

So, does anyone happen to know the factory front post sight height of an early to mid fifties 39A? Or must I really buy a caliper set that I would only need for this one question?

Thanks for your consideration.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.