Old 03-30-2021, 09:37 PM
kidthatsirish
US Navy

Florida is my residence...Virginia is my Home
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to kidthatsirish
981T won't stay cocked

So I am the original owner of my 981T. I have not had any problems with it for years. Recently It was having problems with misfires/light strikes. I replaced the striker, which had appeared to have been worn down over the past 14 years so I replaced it and the main spring inside the bolt. That did not really appear to make any difference so I replaced the trigger return spring and the sear spring with new ones.

The problem now is that the bolt will not stay cocked. If I lift the bolt it will cock, when I go to close it the striker will "fall".

Any help would be appreciated. This rifle was a Christmas gift from my wonderful wife and is accurate as can be! I would love to get it back up and running.
Old 03-30-2021, 10:18 PM
pipestone
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
The misfires/light strikes could be from the striker sleeve binding the striker. The screw that holds the sleeve to the bolt..leave it on the loose side, then Blue locktite the screw.

If you cock/ de-cock your bolt by hand and observe you'll see what i mean..tighten it / work it and then loosen it/ work it.

I don't see the springs being the problem..have you polished or stoned anything in the trigger /sear area?

Was your new striker just like your other..did you compare..was it in fact worn?

pipestone
Old 03-30-2021, 11:16 PM
kidthatsirish
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I will have to check on the sleeve screw. That very well may be something I snugged down and it seems it doesn't need to be? The springs likely needed to all be replaced anyway (rifle is 14 years old with who knows how many rounds through it!)

Looking at the sear and surfaces they are shiny from all the rub from each of them....I have never stoned or polished them....just clean and added a dab of neck molyslide to them once a year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2021, 09:54 AM
kidthatsirish
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So the screw was definitely not overly tight. It seems that if I push fwd hard on the trigger I can keep the rifle from de-cocking when closing the bolt, but when I let the trigger go I can watch the sear surfaces slowly slide on each other until just the edges are touching.

This is somewhat frustrating since I tried to call and order an entirely new trigger control group but with the bankruptcy and everything there is no way to order parts for these guns right now.
Old 03-31-2021, 11:32 AM
pipestone
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
Have you got the old springs you took out..stick 'em back in and see

Maybe shim sear spring to stiffen engagement ?

Did the new striker have all the same dimensions as old?

If all else fails and you have the confidence..back cut the trigger engagement with a fine stone.

Another thought would be E-bay

pipestone

Last edited by pipestone; 03-31-2021 at 11:41 AM.
Old 03-31-2021, 08:20 PM
ferg
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Does it stay cocked if you hold the trigger forward?
Old 04-01-2021, 12:37 AM
kidthatsirish
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes if I hold the trigger forward it will stay cocked. If I let the trigger up after that it will stay cocked...but you can see the sear slide fwd some.
Old 04-01-2021, 02:47 PM
Washington22rf

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had this occur when I changed the trigger spring in my 883 to a lighter one. Found out that if the spring is too short, it will cause a small bit of play in the trigger when it is at rest. This makes the sear to trigger reset incomplete, and the trigger will slip off the sear. The amount of travel for the trigger to catch the notch on the sear is very small, and if the spring doesn't keep the trigger forward enough, it won't catch.
Old 05-03-2021, 11:43 PM
kidthatsirish
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yeah for whatever reason mine is still stock and doing this.
Old 05-04-2021, 09:51 PM
Washington22rf

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidthatsirish View Post
Yeah for whatever reason mine is still stock and doing this.
If I were a betting person, I would say that the trigger spring is too short.