Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:06 AM
startrek1761d

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Winchester 52 advice

I have a chance to purchase a heavy barrel Winchester 52 in 90% condition, it all looks good, just has barrel blocks with no sights. He wants $875 for it which seems a little high, my question is are these rifles all they claim or will a good CZ 452 usually shoot just as good? I have a CZ452 that shoots under 1/2" at 50 in no wind and a Kimber 82G that I am a little disappointed in 3/4" at 50. I have never owned a 52 and need your thoughts.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:47 AM
Thomasm
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Send a message via MSN to Thomasm
A lot depends on the rifles condition and the ammo you use. The CZS's I hear about shoot very well but it's difficult to believe that they will outshoot a 52.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:53 AM
kseatm
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
It depends on exactly what you're looking for. At least that's how I look at it.

I assume you're going to scope this? Unless you have one of the old style scopes you'll need a mount unless it's been drilled and tapped. If it is, then the price he wants is high IMO. If not D&T'd then figure in another $50-$100 for either the EGW or Viani mounts. If you're going to shoot Iron sights, then figure in another $250- $300 for a good rear, front and the inserts.

I've got about that price in one C, and less in another. These are my least accurate 52's. My most accurate (D) came from the CMP so it was much cheaper.

As to accuracy, who knows? My D is more accurate than the CZs I have. Actually, it's more accurate than most of the rifles I have. The other two (both C models) aren't. They're still quite accurate, just not bug hole shooters. I've never scoped those two, but can tell they are going to need something to get better than they are now. One is a commercial grade and it shows some promise. The other will need a bit of work to get where I want it.

Really it's hard to say with any of this. What's accurate to me might not be to you.

Good luck either way. I'd try to get the price down some. It would give you more leeway to try and get your money back should it not meet your expectations.

JMO

Kenny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2013, 09:16 AM
pump .22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Kenny gives good information and advice.

The 52 guns have a reputation for good accuracy and one in target configuration should out shoot a regular CZ, but of course it depends on the individual guns. I sold a 52C Bull Barrel last year that was in excellent condition, and it did shoot very well. But I have a couple of CZs that would shoot with it.

You will not know for sure until you run a variety of ammo through it....and of course by then, you will most likely own it.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:20 AM
Model 52
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There nothing magic about a Model 52. They are not (on average) as accurate as the current generation of target rifles (on average) and they vary a bit like any other rifle.

There are no doubt awesomely accurate Model 52s and there are some that are not going to give you a warm and fuzzy feeling if you have a sub 1/2" MOA expectation. And, all of them may display differing preferences for ammo.

So it really depends on the individual Model 52.

Like you I have a CZ 453 that shoots under 1/2" at 50 yards off a rest or bipod and makes my match rifle look bad shooting from a bench. The saving grace is that the stock on the match rifle is more amenable to a tight slung prone position and 3 position shooting, so in real world use within that discipline it out shoots the CZ 453.

So it also depends on what you want to do with it.

But in general, the CZ 452/453 seem to be very accurate and the odds of getting one that will shoot very well are probably as good as or even slightly better than getting a used Model 52 with an un known history.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:14 AM
Old Man 58
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Condition and originality determine pricing. ST1761d, you never mention which model 52 you are referring to, basically there are 6 different models of the 52 each having some variants. You didn't mention wether it is a target model or a sporter, the sporters will bring more money except for the 52B reproductions. Some of these rifles were fitted with after market triggers of which some are quite valuablle in their own right. You don't mention if it is a commercial variant or a CMP rifle, can make a difference price wise. Because this rifle only has sight bases I would hazard a guess that it's either a B, C, D or an E. $875.00 is high for a B or a C without sights, it's in the ball park for a D although maybe a little high, most times an E will bring more than that. Add $150.00-$200.00 + for a set of sights. Are there any taxes, shipping or transfer fee's involved, they will add to the final out of pocket price. D's and E's have the micro motion trigger adjustable down to several ounce trigger pull making them easier to be more accurate with. All things to be considered. In the end it depends on what you want and your expectations for the rifle.