Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:23 PM
fivethree

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
t bold gets good grades

the t bolt 17 hmr rifle got good grades in the latest issue of gun tests magazine which came out today. the magazine gun testers put it up against the ruger 77/17 and the browning was the favorite by a small margin.
anybody own one?
Old 08-28-2013, 09:40 PM
ThunderStick
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't have the hmr, but I do have two of the 22lr models. Quite frankly, if you can stomach the plastic parts, and a HEAVY, but crisp, trigger pull on a $700.00 gun they are great. I like both of mine.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:27 PM
fivethree

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
trigger pull

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderStick View Post
I don't have the hmr, but I do have two of the 22lr models. Quite frankly, if you can stomach the plastic parts, and a HEAVY, but crisp, trigger pull on a $700.00 gun they are great. I like both of mine.
interesting about the trigger pull. gun tests says the 17 hmr pull can be set
as low as 3 1/2 pounds. what plastic parts don't you like; does this include the stock?
gun tests says the t-bolt action is great; almost as fast as a semi auto. do you agree? the barrel is floated on the hmr; is it on the .22lr?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2013, 07:11 AM
ThunderStick

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Do a little search and you will find out all about the triggers. Faster than a turn bolt, far from a semiautomatic. Synthetic stock is fine. I have issues with the trigger guard and fire control system housing being composite. I have 2 of them, good, but could be great!
Old 08-29-2013, 10:56 AM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the .22 LR and another issue I have with the new T Bolt is with the dinky action screws. Mine was brand new and the first time I tried to take the action out of the stock, the heads stripped out - yes, I had good quality and properly fitted bits. I can't understand why they couldn't have used larger/sturdier screws with larger heads to accept larger hex head bits. I ended up having to carefully (and painfully) drill/grind the heads off to get things apart - of course I had to order new action screws and they aren't cheap.

Mine isn't particularly accurate either.....hunting/plinking accurate but will not shoot with my other bolt .22s. Otherwise, I like it ok.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:36 PM
ThunderStick

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
"interesting about the trigger pull. gun tests says the 17 hmr pull can be set
as low as 3 1/2 pounds."

I couldn't access the article you reference, but most of them just blast back the stuff Browning says. I have read many reviews, and not ONE of them mention that when you back the trigger screw out to TRY and get a decent pull weight, the bolt release doesn't work properly! You can't remove your bolt per instructions as the bolt release won't drop down. You can, however, make a tool from a long wire to push the release down through the slot in the bolt where the bolt release rides. I have not had my trigger assembly apart, but from reading other accounts, when you reduce the trigger spring weight it allows the bolt stop to remain down and your bolt will just slide out any time the bolt is open.

I will say that the accuracy with both of mine are quite acceptable for "sporter" guns. Both mine express large degrees of ammo sensitivity. IE Love Eley SSHP and Target, but HATE CCI SV.

I can also assure you that as soon as an after market trigger is released I intend to buy two of them!

Last edited by ThunderStick; 08-30-2013 at 08:20 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-29-2013, 10:56 PM
BayouBob

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Both of mine are half inch at fifty meters rifles which is acceptable for me but the 22mag has such a heavy gritty trigger that most of the time I end up pulling a couple of shots worrying about it. Both are picky but that is not unusual for rimfires. My 22lr likes Federal Gold Medal and the mag likes Remington Accutips.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:43 PM
fivethree

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
good to 200 yards

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBob View Post
Both of mine are half inch at fifty meters rifles which is acceptable for me but the 22mag has such a heavy gritty trigger that most of the time I end up pulling a couple of shots worrying about it. Both are picky but that is not unusual for rimfires. My 22lr likes Federal Gold Medal and the mag likes Remington Accutips.
the gun test article says the t bolt 17 hmr with a Nikon bdc scope is good for approximate one inch groups at two hundred yards.
the gun test group says it does not just echo a gun company's promos, but gives accurate assessments of each firearm tested, adding it accepts no advertisements in its monthly magazine, so it doesn't have to be a corporate mouth piece.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:24 AM
Thomasm
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Send a message via MSN to Thomasm
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivethree View Post
the gun test article says the t bolt 17 hmr with a Nikon bdc scope is good for approximate one inch groups at two hundred yards.
the gun test group says it does not just echo a gun company's promos, but gives accurate assessments of each firearm tested, adding it accepts no advertisements in its monthly magazine, so it doesn't have to be a corporate mouth piece.
That is an extravagant claim that must be seen to be believed.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:27 AM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
If, on the average, they will do that, I'll take one...or two.....or. But I need to see some targets....lots of targets.

That kind of average at 200 should be good for at least .5" at 100.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:19 PM
buckeroo

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
what plastic parts don't you like; does this include the stock?
gun tests says the t-bolt action is great; almost as fast as a semi auto. do you agree? the barrel is floated on the hmr; is it on the .22lr?

I have field tested mine for over two years now. I'm known among my friends to like wood and steel on my guns and not plastic. This is especially true for handguns, but rifles need a wood stock for me to like em'. My "field testing" has consisted of walking literally dozens and dozens and dozens of miles through the north Georgia mountains small game and pig hunting with my .17HMR Target Varmint. I dont know how much extra weight the plastic parts shave off the gun, but I can tell you that when you drag a gun through the woods as much as I do, you appreciate every little ounce.

I was looking at my 17 just this week and I have bumped it up and bruised it some from so much use. The plastic stuff on this gun is still good as new.

I have killed countless small game, varmints and quite a few pigs with no issue. The action is super fast and smooth, but isnt to be compared with a semi-auto; it ain't THAT fast.

I guess since shooting paper isnt my primary thing I cant understand some of the accuracy statements some guys come up with. I mean, heck, I can put 3 shots in a quarter dollar at 50 yards a good bit of the time. My buddy that is a much better shot than me can do it everytime. Shooter has a lot to do with it the accuracy of the gun. I enjoy shooting paper every so often, but dont stress if I cant thread needles to within an 8th of an inch at 400 yards. LOL!

I researched and took months and months to make up my mind to buy this rifle. I finally bit the bullet and found mine on Gunbroker for $667 out the door, then I put some $60 into the mount and then topped it with a Nikon Prostaff. It is a $1000 that I wouldn't sell for $1000 if someone offered it tomorrow; I like it that much and would buy it again any day of the week if stolen from me.

These pics show it with a temporary Ziess scope back when I first got it.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:27 PM
bulldozerd8t
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
glad you brought up the t-bolt, haven't had mine out of the safe for over a year now, I have 2, the original one and the new model one. going to take them out this weekend.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:53 AM
ThunderStick

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Buck, how's the trigger on yours?

Mine has been putting squirrels in the pot, so it's doing it's job. I'm just not sure it does it any better than my Savage fv-sr, it just looks better doing it.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:14 AM
buckeroo

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderStick View Post
Buck, how's the trigger on yours?

Mine has been putting squirrels in the pot, so it's doing it's job. I'm just not sure it does it any better than my Savage fv-sr, it just looks better doing it.
I own many Browning rifles and pistols. All of mine are stock just as the day they left the factory. I have never done trigger work and all that nor have I shot many customized/accurized guns, so my basis for comparison just doesn't exist.

Given that, whether it is my BL-22, T Bolt, A Bolt, Hi Power, etc. etc. etc....I am always very accurate and hit my targets in nice tight groups because I have spent the time learning the ins and outs of each gun. I have never felt a Browning trigger that felt hairy out of the box. They always feel crisp and break at a nice point, but never overly light. Heck, I'd go as far as to say that, IMO, Browning triggers can be stiffer than most. I can still shoot the heck out of all of mine. My buddy I referenced in my last post can out shoot me with his Savage 17HMR, but again, he gets my T Bolt and out shoots me with my own gun and does so shooting the same size groups as his Savage. He is just a better shot than me. (I am not half shabby myself, but he is gifted, IMO.)
Old 09-09-2013, 11:24 PM
don5

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pump .22s View Post
I have the .22 LR and another issue I have with the new T Bolt is with the dinky action screws. Mine was brand new and the first time I tried to take the action out of the stock, the heads stripped out - yes, I had good quality and properly fitted bits. I can't understand why they couldn't have used larger/sturdier screws with larger heads to accept larger hex head bits. I ended up having to carefully (and painfully) drill/grind the heads off to get things apart - of course I had to order new action screws and they aren't cheap.

Mine isn't particularly accurate either.....hunting/plinking accurate but will not shoot with my other bolt .22s. Otherwise, I like it ok.
I have 2 T-bolts, one maple and one walnut. My son was shooting my maple stock one and the front action screw fell out and onto my Caldwell lead sled. I was lucky that it did not happen in the woods while hunting! When we got back to the house I took each screw out and put some blue Loctite on the end of each screw. The screws were snug but not real tight from the factory. You would think they would be tight from the factory. That is the first time that has ever happened to me also.