Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:01 PM
derekcasey
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
it's the end of the season,

so where is everybody at? where are the guys talking about thier hopeful builds for next year? i know bruce is crossing over into the 10/22 badlands !!! just joking bruce, but truthfully you better give up on that one. to many moving parts to be benchrest accurate!! now if you guys make up a semi-auto class that would be the bees knees(by the way i'm drinking johny walker tonight. yep. ran out of kentucky bourbon today )!!

come on guys let's here about future plans and great suhls. i know i post alot about my hall actioned rifle but that is because they simply don't have a place to post about true benchrest rifles on this sight. the suhl's are about as close as we can get to true benchrest rifles on this forum. i'm sorry but it's the pure truth of the matter. they have annies, but we all know the suhl will blow a annie out of the water any day of the week.

come on guys open up and let the secets out of the bag. i'll tell you mine. i have don stith making a new stock for my suhl and then it goes to the best smith(i've shot against several of his rifles and lost) in our state. the man is good. he treats every rifle like it was the rifle he was going to build for himself. i have all the faith in the world in him. he's darned good.

open up. let go. its cold and ganna get colder. we can share our work in progress with each other and have fun while we watch it snow.

by the way i know i talk to much when i'm drinking. but it's alot af dag gone fun. let's here from everybody else for a change. open up guys. we all love each other and the suhl rifles. right?
Old 10-29-2009, 11:00 PM
JJIA

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here’s my work in progress Derek.

I ordered in a flat top Bruno style McM Edge and I’ve been busy inletting for the last few evenings. Its far enough along now that I could take some measurements, ordered in a trigger guard from Don, and contacted J&P about the actions screws today.
When they come in I’ll get busy pillar bedding and eventually painting!
Shouldn’t be over 6 months until I have a range report (Iowa winters) , but I’ll take plenty of pictures as it comes along.

Jim

Click on the picture for a slideshow.

Last edited by JJIA; 10-29-2009 at 11:03 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:11 AM
rayjay

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I am going to shoot my Hall in it's first RBA match tomorrow. If it does good I am going to leave it alone for a while other than shooting it and tuner and ammo testing.

My 150-1 should be here Monday. First order of business is checking the twist and a general inspection, cleaning and adjustment. I need to find an early stock. I am hope to use this rifle for the Extreme Rimfire Silhouette matches and the early stock will be better than the later one. I will do some ammo and accuracy testing next week. I need to decide what angled scope mount scheme I am going to use. I have a set of the BKL Dovetail to Weaver adaptor bases. I could use Burris Signature Zee's on them. I have the 005 and 010 inserts that I could use [ the 020's are on my Annie 64 ].

I bought an Anschutz 64P 22 magnum pistol project off GB. I have already repaired the cutoff trigger and bolt handle. I bought a 54 pistol stock from Numrich. Just gotta mate the pair. Need some contrasting wood to plug some big holes Anschutz put in the stock.

I am thinking about using the magnum bolt from the 64P in my 64 BR Silhouette rifle. I could then rechamber the HM2 bbl to HMR and rechamber the 22lr bbl to 22 mag. I would then fit one of the Numrich 22 Match Anschutz blanks to the 64 action for shooting 22lr [ aren't threaded receivers great ].

Lessee, I need to do some upgrades on my current RF front rest....I am thinking about building a one piece RF rest......bore guide for the Suhl.....17 cal bore guide for the 64......sell a bunch of stuff to clear up shelf space.....throw away what don't sell ........find some energy.....fix my airsoft gun for harrassing the **** cats.....

Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2009, 10:16 AM
Whistler
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjay View Post
I need to find an early stock. I am hope to use this rifle for the Extreme Rimfire Silhouette matches and the early stock will be better than the later one.
Why is an earlier stock better? What's the difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjay View Post
I need to decide what angled scope mount scheme I am going to use. I have a set of the BKL Dovetail to Weaver adaptor bases. Ray
What advantage is gained by switching to Weaver style mounts? Just seems to me that another piece (adapter) in the connection would give more possibility for misalignment or other problems? I guess I seem to subscribe to the theory that simpler is better.....at least for me!

Just Curious?
Old 10-30-2009, 10:27 AM
rayjay

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Here is a pic of the early stock. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=144427812

The ERS matches are shot off of benches using a front rest and rear bag. I shoot free recoil so a smaller buttstock works better along with a less well defined pistol grip.

If the Burris Rimfire Signature rings will work on the Suhl dovetail then that is what I will go with. I won't know until I have the gun in hand. The Burris rings won't fit an Anschutz which is why I am thinking they won't fit the Suhl. On my Annie I am using BKL dovetail risers and the Burris Rimfire rings. When I ordered the dovetail risers I also ordered the Weaver adaptors so I could see which would work better. Since I have them on hand I will order the Burris Signature Zee Rings if the Rimfire rings won't work. I really like the plastic inserts on the Signature rings.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:54 AM
derekcasey
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
ran into a small problem with my hall. i called allen hall today. i have to have my smith call alen tomorrow to fix the problem. i can't wait to try this new rifle out when it is done!!!! i believe this barrel is ganna be a keeper!! if not i have a new shilens barrel coming next week!!!!
Old 10-31-2009, 07:28 AM
Don Stith

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Derek
The season is just starting. The IR 50/50 Unlimited indoor nationals is next weekend at Luray VA. A month later the ARA indoor nationals is at Aquadale NC. Dan Killough is coming to Luray with some of the Eley that just came into the country this week. Great time to test new ammo
A litttle confusion between the fellow that runs the carver and me. The super birdseye blank, I intended for you, got inlet for a 40X. It was the last good birdseye blank I had. As a result you are getting a fine fiddleback maple stock for the Suhl. He delayed his deer hunting trip to carve it this weekend. I think it is prettier than the birdseye.
Since your Hall is not finished, you can borrow mine or one of my Suhls. Come on up
Don
Old 10-31-2009, 12:59 PM
derekcasey
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
don,
i just got off the phone with the smith. all will be right in the world by next weekend with the hall. the barrel will be installed and it will be a striaght .900!! i'll have a extra 4 groove shilens ratchet for later useas well.

i'm sure fiddleback maple will look just great. i left it up to you to make a choice so it will be great looking i'm sure. thank you for telling me about it. i simply can't wait to get it into my hands and the suhl off to the smith so he can piller and glassbed it for me. i have a friend that is going to finish sanding them and clear coat them for me. he is a wood worker, so i will have 2 very fine looking stocks from you and i'm sure i will be very happy with them.

i wish i could come up and shoot, but they are working my butt off right now. we simply can't figure out where all these trains are going and who is buying everything that we are halling!! we are moving alot of cars. i don't know if they are the trashed clunkers the government purchased with our tax money, or if they are new cars.
Old 10-31-2009, 02:52 PM
derekcasey
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
don,

i looked up fiddleback maple. man that looks just like what guys around here call tiger striped maple!! i know that i will be very very happy with it for sure now!!!! you made a very fine choice in wood for my stock for sure. the suhl will be right at home in a very fine piece of wood like that.

your carver could have waited till the end of his deer hunting trip. i would not have cared one bit. everybody needs time off to do something they enjoy. lord knows i have planned 2 of my vacations next year on the weeks we have matches and i put in for one week a day at a time again. i'll have one week(7 full days) of vacation a day at a time and 7 personal leave days that i get paid for. i believe that will cover next years matches. i also want to go visit tomc and shoot in a ir 50/50 match at his place.

thank you don. your stocks are great. i should have had you make me one years ago!!!
Old 11-01-2009, 11:55 AM
Whistler
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekcasey View Post
don,
i just got off the phone with the smith. all will be right in the world by next weekend with the hall. the barrel will be installed and it will be a striaght .900!! i'll have a extra 4 groove shilens ratchet for later useas well.
Extended weather forcast for your area next Fri- Sat- Sun look like 58-59 and no rain. I know you're going to be out somewhere firing away. Hope it shoots the lights out for you. Lets see some posted targets! I'll bet this week goes by as slow as it would for a kid the week before Christmas. Man I remember that being a long wait......!!!

PM SENT!!!
Old 11-01-2009, 10:07 PM
derekcasey
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistler View Post
Extended weather forcast for your area next Fri- Sat- Sun look like 58-59 and no rain. I know you're going to be out somewhere firing away. Hope it shoots the lights out for you. Lets see some posted targets! I'll bet this week goes by as slow as it would for a kid the week before Christmas. Man I remember that being a long wait......!!!

PM SENT!!!
yep!! it's ganna be a long long week. longer than when i was a kid at christmas, cause now i'm a man waiting on my true toy to come home!!! then when the suhl; stock arrives from don stith over the hills and through the woods to jackies house we go !!! he'll be doing all my work till i get a lathe of my own and some years of playing around with it.

man jackie is good and he didn't like the ideal of setting the rifle up like allen hall said to, but many others claim to have killer rifles set up like that on the action like mine. again i told jackie to do it. if it turns ut bad i will take the blame for it because i told him to against his wishes. if it shoots like crazy i'll say "jackie did the work!! he's the man!!!".

i've more than likely drove him crazy!! i try not to call him. i truely do not want to bother him. he is a great guy and a danged good smith for sure. the problem we had was because he told me what he should do but didn't have the shank to do it with. i told him to use it anyway.

the sad thing is if we had known that this action had a shoulder inside of it we could have been done and i'd still have to wait till next weekend to get down there to pick it up from him(it's a work thing. lord knoews i have the money. he blew my mind away when he told me what i owed him!! i was exspecting $500-$600).
Old 11-01-2009, 10:43 PM
rayjay

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I shot my homebuilt Hall in a Gold City RBA Unlimited match Saturday. 245 244 239 . The last target I just really struggled. I would pound the dot on the sighter then move over to the record and shoot a scary 9 [ ie nearly an 8 ]. I did manage a couple of 8's. I don't know if it's my rest, the bench I was on which was right next a big drop off, or the condition which was fluttery tails on that last target. I actually waited several minutes for the wind to start to blow and then I could shoot some 10's.

Still that is my best score and some other poor guy got to finish last for a change. I'm pretty happy with how the gun did in it's first match.

Let us know how yours does.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:15 AM
derekcasey
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
do you level your targets when you hang them up? i never did, but next year i will. i made a level out of a small level and a piece of angle iron. then i go back and use the same level to level my rest on the bench. i know now when i shoot a sighter i can move back over to a record bull and shot the same point and if the wind hasn't changed the bullet will go into the same place(hopefully).

how many rounds did you put through it before you took it to the match? was the chamber broke in?
Old 11-02-2009, 07:30 AM
rayjay

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Jody does a pretty good job hanging the targets. When I practice I try to get the targets pretty well lined up but I don't try to make them perfect because that is how it is going to be at a match. If anything, practice should be more difficult than shooting in a match.

I do level my rest with a small bubble level. I am using the rear leveling screw as the elevation adj and there is too much play in the threads. I need to make a 'speed screw' set up so that the post that bears on the benchtop does not rotate and is a precision fit so there is no wobble. I really should buy a Fulghum rest.

My borescope really showed me what's going on inside a bbl. I don't feel that a lead bullet will ever burnish out any reamer marks in a new chamber. I use a split arbor and worn 400 and 600 paper to polish the leade. I do this in the lathe at about 200 rpm with the split arbor in a cordless drill. I use CW and CCW on both the drill and lathe.

My opinion is that as long as the chamber gives the bullet a straight smooth entry into the bore then there is not much more it can do for you. If your chamber has any reamer marks they are going to knock lead off the bullet and you will always have problems.

Once you have a straight smooth chamber then the crown becomes the last chance you have to make the bullet do your bidding. I spend a pretty good bit of time on the crown and use good lighting and a jewelers loupe to inspect my work as I progress. I use rolled up worn 400 and 600 to make a tiny radius on the crown after I have cut it square with a sharp HSS bit.

I think the tiny radius is less likely to mark the bullet as it exits and also is more resistent to cleaning damage. I pull the jag back very slowly so it doesn't act like a hammer and I never pull a brush back through the crown.

The Hart bbl probably had 150 to 200 rounds of ammo and tuner testing on it done in one morning along with 66 rounds at the Silhouette match with no tuner installed.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:51 PM
derekcasey
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
my smith called me today when me and a friend of mine was going tree rat hunting(we got 5 today by the way.). he told me he had been shooting my rifle today without a tuner on it and it is a shooter for sure !!! he said he was using 8 year old lapua in it and it was simply cutting tiny hole groups without a tuner on it!!!! i'll pick it up this weekend and order a new rva tuner for it next!!! what a great day it has been. got to put 5 tree rats in the deepfreeze and found out my rifle was shooting great. wonderful day indeed.