Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-11-2018, 09:57 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Anybody get migraines? How do you deal with them

Ive had one for four days now Tylenol keeps them at bay for a couple of hours anything better?
Old 10-11-2018, 10:00 PM
Longhair1957
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Fioricet! It’s a prescription.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:06 PM
3JExplorer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Never had one last more than a day.

When I used to get them and I can tell when one is coming....
Vomit after it got bad enough, half a dozen full strength aspirins, sit in a super hot shower till the hot water runs out, dark, quiet room, hope I pass out and sleep.

Last edited by 3JExplorer; 10-12-2018 at 08:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2018, 10:23 PM
Longhair1957

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Until recently, I’ve been a chronic migraine sufferer. 20 plus a month migraine days.
I started at 17 years old with occasional attacks. Over the years they got stronger and more frequent. Then approx 10 years ago, they became chronic. I’ve actually had continuous dibilitating migraines last up to two months.
I’m allergic to Triptans, so I had to go to Fioricet.
The thing to understand is that a Migraine is not a headache. A migraine is actually a neurological event. So for most migraine sufferers, things like regular headache pills won’t work.
I wish you luck in your search for what works for you.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:46 PM
Vasquez956

TPC Rating: 
95% (18)
What causes headaches and migraines? I probably have 1 minor headache once a month at most. I cant imagine going through migraines on the daily, and I've never had one.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:59 PM
dbstoo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I usually find migraines are triggered by either dehydration, some beer formulations or flickering lights.

For 30 years I wore Transitions lenses to block the flickering from fluorescent lights. I avoided Budweiser. I stayed hydrated.

When migraines hit, I'd treat them with Tylenol, Sudafed and a large glass of water. Since I retired (5 years or so) I've only had a handful of migraines.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:44 PM
Mr GAP
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have been a chronic migraine sufferer for more than 20 years. Right now I am taking topiramate (Topamax). Topiramate is use as a preventive. It is an anti seizure medication. It has brought my daily migraines to one or two per week. I have butalbital for the one or two per week that get through. Some blood pressure work quite well for migraines too, just not for me.

This year I have had two rounds of Botox injections to see if that would help. It seemed to be working after the second set of injections and then just quit working. The first round of Botox is 31 injections in the scalp head and neck.

There other anti seizure medication that work to prevent migraines. One of Topamax side effects is that it messes with your taste, but that is better than having migraines everyday.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:12 AM
ntsqd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The way it was explained to me is that a 'normal' headache is a vasal constriction, where a migraine is a vasal dilation. Which is why, for me anyway, sometimes a little pressure applied in the right place did wonders for reducing the pain.

Look at things in your diet that are vasal dilators. Anything in the Anise (licorice) family is a vasal dilator. So long pizzas with sausage on them....
I suspect that Hops are too as I *think* they are related to the Anise family because all beers triggers one in me though some beers seem to be worse than others.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:24 AM
Jester560

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have Hemicrania Continua or a migraine that never goes away nor ever will. I have had 1 migraine since March 2014. I take Indomethacin to help control it to a manageable level.

Back when I had normal migraines, my go to was 2 xtra strength Tylenol and 3 ibuprofen.
Goggle "UC Berkeley migraine triggers". They did a massive study on them and published 20 years of findings. It is very helpful.

I hope you get some relief.

Last edited by Jester560; 10-12-2018 at 02:27 AM.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:58 AM
3JExplorer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
To add to this after reading the replies.
I never went to a doctor for my migraines. I suffered through them from childhood till adulthood.
Since I was 40 I have been on blood pressure meds and blood thinner. I've had only a handful of migraines in the past 10 or so years.
It could be related....
Old 10-12-2018, 09:40 AM
Mr GAP
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
One has to find the right cocktail of drugs to keep the migraines away.
I try to stay away from those isles in the grocery stores that have all of the
scented products. Most stores have two full isles of that stuff. It just sets my brain on fire. Diesel and it`s exhaust fumes do the same.
Either the environment does not like me or my brain does not like the environment.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:04 PM
blkwollf

TPC Rating: 
95% (52)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr GAP View Post
I have been a chronic migraine sufferer for more than 20 years. Right now I am taking topiramate (Topamax). Topiramate is use as a preventive. It is an anti seizure medication. It has brought my daily migraines to one or two per week. I have butalbital for the one or two per week that get through. Some blood pressure work quite well for migraines too, just not for me.

This year I have had two rounds of Botox injections to see if that would help. It seemed to be working after the second set of injections and then just quit working. The first round of Botox is 31 injections in the scalp head and neck.

There other anti seizure medication that work to prevent migraines. One of Topamax side effects is that it messes with your taste, but that is better than having migraines everyday.
Also can cause 'Kidney Stones'!! {Be very Careful taking this!}
Old 10-12-2018, 12:06 PM
Tom_in_MO
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntsqd View Post
The way it was explained to me is that a 'normal' headache is a vasal constriction, where a migraine is a vasal dilation. Which is why, for me anyway, sometimes a little pressure applied in the right place did wonders for reducing the pain.

Look at things in your diet that are vasal dilators. Anything in the Anise (licorice) family is a vasal dilator. So long pizzas with sausage on them....
I suspect that Hops are too as I *think* they are related to the Anise family because all beers triggers one in me though some beers seem to be worse than others.
When I used to get them, it turned out to be totally diet-related.

Two things I cut out that made them disappear forever:
1. artificial sweeteners; sucralose was what really messed me up. I now use stevia in my coffee, a natural sweetener which is even good for diabetics.
2. high fructose corn syrup, which is said to contain mercury, a powerful poison. For example, I would consistently get violently ill overnight and have a very long migraine all the next day after eating Chinese takeout with a sweet sauce for supper, like General Tso's chicken or sweet and sour chicken.

Once I figured this stuff out, haven't had a migraine in years. Not saying all migraines are necessarily diet-related, but definitely something to look into.

I will not buy any product with either of these ingredients in it.

Bonus tip: unsweetened cranberry juice dissolves kidney stones. you can sweeten it with stevia, because by itself it is very bitter.

Last edited by Tom_in_MO; 10-12-2018 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:14 PM
ms6852

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I worked in the medical field for more than 35 years and finally I got a home remedy from a Dr. at work. Since I do suffer from occasional headaches due to being in front of a monitor he told me that I should take 3 Tylenol , 2 Motrins, drink 2 cups of coffee, and finally drink 2 glasses of water right away. Don't sip the coffee. He states that it is about the caffeine which is used in a lot of pain meds, so you want to overload yourself with it, and the water is to ensure hydration. Many headaches are due to dehydration. This remedy helps my wife and she does take meds for migraine headaches.

Those of you that do suffer from headaches the one thing we do know is that some foods do trigger the onset of a headache, so all of you should keep a daily log of what you eat and when you get one you could narrow it down to something you ate that day. Afterwards it is a process of elimination.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:02 PM
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (237)
I suffered with migraines for years, and tried to manage them with aspirin and Cafergot (Caffeine and Ergotamine, both potent vasoconstrictors). Sometimes they even helped. Even tried Elavil, a tricyclic anti-depressant that was supposed to help migraines. It didn't, but it sure wiped me out! Maybe 20 years ago, my doctor found that my blood pressure was bit higher than it should be. He suggested that I start with a beta blocker (in my case, nadolol 20 mg once a day, a very low dose). His rationale was that beta blockers have also often been found to eliminate or lessen migraines. Since then, my blood pressure has been under control -- AND no more migraines! No guarantees, but it worked for me.

Doug