Don't set anything on the roof of your vehicle. - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-11-2018, 03:38 AM
Vee3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Don't set anything on the roof of your vehicle.

Good advice at a young age from my Dad, right after we drove off with a binocular I'd left up there. It fell over (not off) and we heard it. Dad stopped and saved it. It wasn't the 1st time similar had happened, and Dad wasn't innocent either, lol.

I just came home from a late night walk. Nary a car on the street. As I walked past the 7-11 I heard a car leaving in a hurry with what sounded like a plastic bag in the wind. I looked over and saw exactly that on the roof of the car.

I wondered what was in the bag, and how long it would stay put. Didn't take but about three blocks before it fell off. By the sound of the crash, I guestimate it was a 6-pack of bottles. Car didn't circle back, so I suppose he didn't know what happened until he got home.

I 1) chuckled to myself, 2) thought of the binocular, 3) repented of my schadenfreude.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:09 AM
arjay

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
With my hands full of stuff,I set a new digital camera on the hood of my truck to unlock the door.Drove 120 miles to go fishing in the dream stream when I realized what I had done
It wasn't anywhere to be found when I came back
Old 10-11-2018, 05:58 AM
j.r. guerra in s. texas

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
My guardian angel was on my shoulder that time . . .

. . . I am set a large 8 1/2" X 11" envelope on my truck bumper when i went to open the driveway gate. I completely forgot about and drove to work, approximately seven miles away.

I didn't realize it until I was walking to the office and saw the edge of the envelope peaking beyond (I always back into parking spaces). The items contained were irreplaceable and were nearly lost due to my stupidity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2018, 08:27 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Let me add just one word to this conversation: coffee.

And further, deponent sayeth not. . . .
Old 10-11-2018, 08:28 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I know a guy left his Beretta 12 gauge leaning on the back bumper while he put his dog away after hunting. He got home and remembered where he left it. Went back and yup it was gone.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:24 AM
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I have done the coffee, pop, new pair of my son's shoes and probably more. One time in the army a soldier set his M16 on the side ledge of a dump truck, it was about a 1 mile haul road to the runway we were building. Somewhere it bounced off, we did everything trying to retrace the route and find it but could not for the longest time. We even set another on the side of the box again and followed right behind it, darn thing wouldn't fall off like we were hoping. If I remember right it had bounced off right outside the gate of the pit and bounced into a ditch.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:00 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A few trucks ago I set a bag of charcoal briquets on the roof of my truck and carefully drove thru town(25mph) with aftermarket speakers blaring. Folks kept trying to get my attention about the briquets by gesturing and hollering and I'd just smile and wave back watching the expressions on their faces. hilarious!
Old 10-11-2018, 10:37 AM
Ferox34
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
years ago....

.....I worked for an insurance agency in Peoria, IL, the owner's father, who had retired from a 40 year career, worked for his son in a second career. He was very old school, wore a suit jacket to the office every day.

One day, the father was going to the bank with the daily deposits, laid them on the roof of his car while he removed his jacket and hung it in the back of the car. Then drove off leaving several thousand dollars in cash and checks in his wake down the alley behind the office.

That was the last time "Dad" was allowed to go to the bank.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:45 AM
Chaser
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Bwaahahaaaaaa... had to look it up...

scha·den·freu·de
ˈSHädənˌfroidə/
noun
noun: Schadenfreude; noun: schadenfreude

pleasure derived by someone from another person's misfortune.

I too was schooled on that by my Dad.. and he did it several times with me watching
Every-time I put something on my hood or roof I immediately slap myself and retrieve it ... Murphy's Law
Old 10-11-2018, 10:51 AM
HectorFuego

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Years ago I used to carry a stainless steel thermos full of coffee to work. One morning I put it on the roof of my '72 Cutlass Supreme to unlock the door and it rolled off. Landed at about a 45 degree angle with the corner edge of the bottom on my right big toe just where the toenail grows out. Hurt so bad I couldn't cuss.

Hector
Old 10-11-2018, 10:58 AM
jnyork
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
Earlier this summer I had to take a friend to an early morning appointment in another town, got him in the vehicle , all the while leaving my prescription glasses and a good book I was reading on the roof. Drove 2 hours to the other town before I figured out what I had done. Only cost me 250 bucks for new glasses.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:25 AM
Rimfiregal

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Did the same thing with a shotgun, once, way back in my youth. We had just finished up a pheasant hunt. Took the barrel off the Ithaca 37 I was using and placed the action and the barrel the roof of the VW while loading the dog back in the car. Yup, I drove off with the ithaca on top of the car. Drove 5 miles back into town when it dawned on me what I had done. Found the action off to the side a busy street. It had been run over. The trigger guard was bent and the forearm cracked, but the action still worked. Found the barrel a bit further down the street. Miraculously, it had landed on the center stripe of the busy street, parallel to both lanes of traffic and it was unharmed. Put both pieces back together and used that gun for many years. Lesson learned: never put anything on the top of the car.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:41 AM
GreggieBoy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Watched a woman drive off with her purse on the roof of her car. She ignored me when I tried to yell to her. She got half a block then the thud when it rolled down the back window and onto her trunk lid for about 2 seconds. From there gravity won and her belongings were scattered on the street. She had to wade through traffic to do a little gathering.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:02 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
When I was with the Santa Rosa Fl. Sheriffs dept. a Detective placed his Colt Detective Special on the roof of a squad car while he placed a suspect in it, then walked away. When the squad car pulled out to take the suspect to jail the revolver fell off and was run over by the car, warped the frame but good. He actually sent it back to Colt to get it fixed and got mad when they said they couldn't and refused to GIVE him a replacement.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:28 PM
2011ERIC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Not really an object but... in the mid 80’s I was 10 or 12 years old. I was walking down my suburban street in New Orleans when I saw this big, 4 door Cadillac speeding down the street with my neighbor on the roof. The car must’ve been doing 50 mph. At the first corner the car made shard left turn and then my neighbor flew off the roof along with all the hub caps. Luckily he wasn’t killed. He was a cool, old Viet Nam helicopter pilot. Just kinda crazy. Apparently he wasn’t happy went the car sped by with his children outside. When the car was forced to turn around due to a dead end street, he jumped on the roof of the caddy as it sped by. Needless to say it was an interesting neighborhood. Does this apply to the topic? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk