Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:04 AM
Joshua M. Smith
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Hello,

I smoked from age 18 to age 28. At age 28 I decided that the effects on my health weren't worth it. I'd worked up to inhaling cigars by that point, and I was suffering jitters, sleeplessness, and lung problems. It probably didn't help that I have mild asthma triggered by allergies.

I finished my last pack of those unfiltered little cigars and I walked away.

It was a choice.

Others decide that they don't want to stop, for whatever reason(s) they may have.

As Americans, we enjoy the rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness (which could also be defined as the right to property, as postulated by a history teacher -- Masters in the field -- I once had, and born out by the 18th century writings I've run across while studying the meaning of the Second Amendment.)

We have freedom of choice here.

I won't begrudge a smoker his or her right to smoke in my presence.

And yes, I use the word "right". It's a smoker's right to take smoke into his or her body just as much as it's a right for those with drivers' licenses to use cars.

Sucking on a tailpipe will kill a person a hell of a lot faster than sucking on cigarettes.

Everything needs to be enjoyed in moderation. I can't find any conclusive evidence that the moderate use of tobacco contributes significantly to cancer. (Moderate as defined as, perhaps, a cigar at the end of the day along with a couple fingers of whiskey.)

If I don't want your car's exhaust in my face, I'll move. Most smokers I've met intentionally blow smoke away from me, and I'm good with that.

It's live and let live, which is a very important concept. It'll be even more important in the coming years as we are a society not buying firearms merely for sport, but a society arming itself.

Politeness will once again be a concept that folks will be forced to follow in the coming years.

Regards,

Josh
Old 12-01-2013, 11:14 AM
sweetmk
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I just got 276 pics in an email. The pics were from my 45th HS reunion.

I was shocked to see no smokers, they are probably all dead.

I went to two outdoor tractor shows this summer. I also noticed there were zero smokers.

The tractor shows (one in NC, one in WV) are mostly an old man's hobby, I would have expected smokers.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:18 PM
Thomasm
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Send a message via MSN to Thomasm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua M. Smith View Post
Hello,

I smoked from age 18 to age 28. At age 28 I decided that the effects on my health weren't worth it. I'd worked up to inhaling cigars by that point, and I was suffering jitters, sleeplessness, and lung problems. It probably didn't help that I have mild asthma triggered by allergies.

I finished my last pack of those unfiltered little cigars and I walked away.

It was a choice.

Others decide that they don't want to stop, for whatever reason(s) they may have.

As Americans, we enjoy the rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness (which could also be defined as the right to property, as postulated by a history teacher -- Masters in the field -- I once had, and born out by the 18th century writings I've run across while studying the meaning of the Second Amendment.)

We have freedom of choice here.

I won't begrudge a smoker his or her right to smoke in my presence.

And yes, I use the word "right". It's a smoker's right to take smoke into his or her body just as much as it's a right for those with drivers' licenses to use cars.

Sucking on a tailpipe will kill a person a hell of a lot faster than sucking on cigarettes.

Everything needs to be enjoyed in moderation. I can't find any conclusive evidence that the moderate use of tobacco contributes significantly to cancer. (Moderate as defined as, perhaps, a cigar at the end of the day along with a couple fingers of whiskey.)

If I don't want your car's exhaust in my face, I'll move. Most smokers I've met intentionally blow smoke away from me, and I'm good with that.

It's live and let live, which is a very important concept. It'll be even more important in the coming years as we are a society not buying firearms merely for sport, but a society arming itself.

Politeness will once again be a concept that folks will be forced to follow in the coming years.

Regards,

Josh
Now that's right thinking !
Old 12-02-2013, 01:58 AM
JoeBobber
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
99% (72)
I started smoking at 14, even met my wife in the smokers alley in high school. I know it's bad, but I truly enjoy it. After each day I had chemo, and left, i would have a smoke. Stupid, probably. But, I don't like pushing my beliefs on others, or forcing them to obey my beliefs.

I don't smoke around my kids, or in the house, and really, don't smoke much at all anymore. Fundamentally, I believe it comes down to public acceptance. Once smoking was seen as ok, and it was acceptable, just as tatoos were bad, now, smokers are bad, and tatoos are good.
I don't know, nor have I seen any smokers intentionally blowing smoke at people. I even hate second hand smoke. When I smoke, I smoke outside.

Some say, they have the right to breathe fresh air, true, but do I not also have the right to smoke, which is legal. All these organizations trying to force their beliefs on others. Look at Peta, anti gun people, anyone who tells you what you do is bad, and tries to force their beliefs on you. If people always gave in to those people, the world would still be flat.
Prob. makes more sense in my head than what it sounds like, but at what point are there too many laws. At what point are lawmakers going to stop. Every law takes away a little more freedom. If you draw it out, at a certain point, freedoms are overpowered by laws, and it's no freedom at all. Everyone pushing their ideas and making everything illegal, it don.t work. They have been making laws for over 200 years now. How many laws do we need, seriously. Let me smoke, and shoot my gun if I want to.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:09 PM
lifeon2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I smoke cigarettes, cigars and pipes...I actually collect antique tobacco pipes and have over 500 in my collection.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:19 AM
skoro
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Opinions On Smoking

All four of my grandparents smoked. I watched it kill 3 of them and ruin the last 30 years of the fourth. My younger brother smoked. He died of cancer eight years ago. My true opinion would probably be deleted if I posted it here.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:01 PM
joseywales
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
True, smoking cigarettes is legal. It's the one legal activity that when performed in accordance with the law and without accident, can still kill innocent people. How the heck does that make sense?

That said, a cigar once in a while can be very relaxing, though I never do it in public or in the house. Just on the deck. Haven't done it in quite a while though
Old 02-01-2014, 12:43 PM
OldSwede

TPC Rating: 
100% (94)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
my true opinion would probably be deleted if i posted it here.
+1
Old 02-01-2014, 01:08 PM
roofdog1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I smoked for about 45 years. Didn't quit until my brother died three years ago from COPD and lung cancer, all from smoking. My dad died at age 43 from smoking as well.

Always wanted to quit but the stresses of owning and running a business for 36 years outranked the priority, or at least that was my excuse. At any rate, I just couldn't stop for many years.

The wheezing noises at night coming from my lungs was so bad it would wake me up.

Not to mention that I probably could have bought a couple of condo rentals for what my wife and I spent on tobacco.

Now that I'm mostly retired I am able to focus on health issues more.

Last edited by roofdog1; 02-01-2014 at 01:11 PM.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:23 PM
langenc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
roofer--and all others I know it is NOT easy to quit. I never got tied up w/ it, thank God..

I heard it many times from patiets as I prepared their medications.

Do quit-it is never too late. Set a date and then do it. {then you can say "IM quitting Monday morning'} or whenever.

I know of one friend that quit-cold tobacco. BUT he did keep a pack around while doing so. I saked-WHY? Isnt that a bad situation. He said "No, cause I know if I need one, it is there." If none available he might panic and start all over after chasing around to find one.

I never heard of that before but??
Old 02-01-2014, 03:55 PM
Mofrid

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
February 28th this year will be 15 years ago that I quit. It was one of the major accomplishments in my life. I have had some pretty big accomplishments, but this trumps them all!
Old 02-01-2014, 04:09 PM
ohlongarm

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Never smoked anything in my entire life including pot,enough things trying to kill you without adding another.Four aunts died of lung cancer 3 packs a day for years ,granted they were old when they passed but they went out hard.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:17 AM
patchett

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I recall a comment by Lanny Bassham at a shooter seminar he presented.
" ....all the evidence is against you. You can smoke all the cigarettes you want, just don't light 'em!"
Old 02-02-2014, 05:17 PM
*Rim-Star*

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Smoking is probably bad for you or at least thats what we are all told...but I dont think myself or anyone has the right to tell someone they cant smoke I just wonder if all the anti-smoking people would tell all the veterans of this country and the people serving now they cant smoke I bet they didnt care for them smoking when they were overseas fighting for our freedom
Old 02-02-2014, 05:28 PM
blueridgeranger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
One word Domn"t.
I lost my daughter to the weed October two years and it still hurts.
all the best to all
blueridgeranger