Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:24 AM
Jim_WY

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil in Alabama View Post
My father died during the first week of December 2012.
Sorry to hear that, Phil.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:30 AM
O.G.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Everyone quits smoking some day...

(this isn't related to the above post, sorry)

Last edited by O.G.; 02-19-2013 at 01:33 AM.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:20 AM
hogleg
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I was once asked if I smoked after sex. Responed with, "Don't know. Never looked".
Old 04-17-2013, 04:29 PM
retiredsarge48
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Neither my wife of I smoke. Current count of family members dead from smoking: on my side my father, sister in law and one aunt. My wifes side her mother and three of four of her mothers siblings. My children do not smoke but one grandson does and it is a big worry.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:40 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
All the smokers in my family quit years ago ,except for me. I've smoked off and on for 40 years.I've lived a very active life which may have bought me some time,but I'm realistic and I know it will kill me at some point.I still can ski,hike and snowshoe,,but I can really feel it above 10,000 ft. Five years ago I could feel it at 12000 ft.I've watched several people die from emphysema (all non-smokers) and yet I still sneak the **** things! Thank God my kids didn't get hooked.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:12 PM
OldSwede
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (94)
My mother smoked during pregnancy. Seven decades ago, that was not uncommon. I was born seven weeks early; with only half of one kidney developed, and none of the other; I was told at age 23 that I would not make 25. While Ilived at home, to the age of 18, both parents smoked two packs a day. A few years ago, after never having smoked even one cigarette in my life, I find that I have only 40% of normal lung capacity.

I am not a fan of smoking.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:44 PM
redworm
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
I quit 9 yrs ago this past feb. I was diagnosed first stages of emphysema. I take no meds or oxygen at the present time. My personal opinion is if you smoke cigarettes they will kill you...........Redworm...............
Old 11-28-2013, 06:09 AM
BrainOnSigs

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Smoked cigs as a teen until I turned 21 then quit. I didn't smoke anything for 30 years. I did take up smoking the occasional Cuban cigar a couple of years ago. Maybe 5-10 a month.

I do love an aged Bolivar Belicosos Finos with 3 fingers of Gran Patron tequila.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:54 AM
damonkeydobad
US Navy Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (34)
I cut back to a pipe or gooooood cigar only when I am standing in a river waving a stick at trout.(I find myself fishing alot more these days)lol Have A Great Thanksgiving
Old 11-28-2013, 01:54 PM
bangbang

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
If people want to kill themselves off in whatever manner they choose its up to them. as long as its in THEIR home, who care what happens?

when they do it outside and it affects me or someone else, then it becomes OUR problem.

same for drinking or drugs. Do it in the home. when they decide to take it outside and on the streets and highways, it becomes OUR problem.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:36 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've smoked for 43 years. I won't defend it, just explain some of it.

So far, I'm maybe a lucky exception. My last chest x-ray was clear, and my health is pretty good for 57. No medical "conditions" or medications, yet. I know, that could change at the drop of a hat.

I smoked stronger cigarettes at first, and gradually went with weaker brands and menthol. At my worst I was smoking three packs a day in my early twenties, now I'm averaging 8-16 cigs a day ( a pack has 20). I'm like most, I only actually enjoy a few of them, the first and last of the day, after a meal, or after fun in the hay.

I do think the anti-smokers are a bit over-zealous, like the anti-guns. I had two great aunts, who were sisters. One smoked, drank, carried on like a sailor on leave her whole life. She lived to be 82 with no real health issues. The other was a teatotaller, never smoked, drank, or anything else bad. She died, of lung cancer, in her late forties. She was never in a smoky environment from anything else, either. I know lots of other examples.

My father was a career fireman, 42 years. Breathed a lot of bad smoke, I'm sure. Plus he smoked 55 years, always non-filtered cigarettes, too. Died at 76 with a heart attack, mostly from poor eating. His cholesterol was sky-high.

I get especially tickled at people who will cross the street when I'm walking toward them with a cigarette. There they are, breathing exhaust from the hundreds of cars around them, and scared of my cigarette? Would they give up their car keys to help everyone be healthier? I've even had them roll up their car windows when I'm next to them at a red light, with a cigarette and my window down.

Ever noticed how vehicle exhaust is so much more visible on a cool damp day? I drive a transit bus, and I've seen times I couldn't see across the bus terminal for all the exhaust on those days. Guess what? That same exhaust is always there, you just can't always see it.

My state banned smoking in restaurants years ago. I think it should be up to the owners, and posted policy on the door. I know one owner whose business dropped a third, and stayed there. He had to raise prices, and cut employee benefits, to stay afloat. He'd install high-end ventilation and make his place 100% smoking, if he could.

Last edited by bearcatter; 11-28-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:24 AM
Thomasm
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Send a message via MSN to Thomasm
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangbang View Post
If people want to kill themselves off in whatever manner they choose its up to them. as long as its in THEIR home, who care what happens?

when they do it outside and it affects me or someone else, then it becomes OUR problem.

same for drinking or drugs. Do it in the home. when they decide to take it outside and on the streets and highways, it becomes OUR problem.
Did you ever wonder why the number of smokers has decreased by probably 75% and the cancer and respiratory disease rate are going up at the same rate as they always have ? You anti smoker people are as bad as the anti gunners, what you want is control. You don't have any title or deed of ownership on the air unless you're buying it in a scuba tank. If you own any motor vehicles then you're polluting the atmosphere as bad as anyone else.
Old 11-29-2013, 02:05 PM
bangbang

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasm View Post
Did you ever wonder why the number of smokers has decreased by probably 75% and the cancer and respiratory disease rate are going up at the same rate as they always have ? You anti smoker people are as bad as the anti gunners, what you want is control. You don't have any title or deed of ownership on the air unless you're buying it in a scuba tank. If you own any motor vehicles then you're polluting the atmosphere as bad as anyone else.
Its unfortunate people cant express any opinions anymore without someone getting a burr under their saddle pad.

I am a control freek as you would put it - its the way im wired. I know and understand that and I try not to let that out. Do you know/understand your faults?

As i said, i really dont care if you want to kill yourself, by smoking, drinking, or doing drugs. You may see that as control, but i see that as the ultimate in freedoms. My point was that if you want to do anything that can affect anyone else, then it becomes OUR problem when it leaves your home. I didnt say you could NOT do it. If you want want to go into your house and smoke yourself to death, go ahead. But when you come outside and into my space, its OUR problem. If you want to go into your bathroom to take drugs or drink until youre plowed while sitting on the throne, its your choice. But once you go outside and decide to drive to the corner store to get more beer while under the influence it become OUR problem. If you want to play your stereo loud go ahead. But once that becomes loud enough to pass through your walls and into your neighbors house several houses away, it becomes OUR problem.

Many people have blinders on when it comes to THEIR FREEDOMS and dont look at how it affect others around them. There are things called Privileges. Smoking is one of them. Smoking is not a RIGHT. You dont have a RIGHT to kill someone else while enjoying your PRIVDLEDGE.

I hope this clears some things up. If not, sorry and hope you and your loved ones have a great Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Last edited by bangbang; 11-29-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:06 PM
Thomasm
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Send a message via MSN to Thomasm
My point is, that you don't own the outdoors, neither are you in a position to designate rights and privileges. As a free American, I don't want privileges, either I have a right or I don't! If you heat your house, drive a car, barbeque steaks, or mow your lawn, or even exhale, you're polluting the air. Now are those your rights or your privileges. They don't smoke in prison, they have privileges in prison.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:11 PM
langenc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Where did that 'right' ever come from?

Ive heard a lot of *****ing about it from a family member. What about the 'right' to breath somewhat clean air.

I notice the stench (no other way to say it) more and more now, I never smoked.

My Father was a mailman for 35 years in a po that had total of about 15 carriers. In a few weeks (Christmas rush it used to be called) he worked 10-12 hrs/day, the last week before Christmas. Hed come home and practically undress outside. Some of us thought he was wacko.

I wnder how many of them died from cancer. He did and he only smoked other peoples smoke.