Gary O
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Gloss or Matte scope for Browning 52?

What say you? Thanks...
Old 11-19-2013, 01:23 PM
IHMSA80x80
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Mine wears a gloss Nikon 2-7x Monarch.

≡✪≡
Old 11-19-2013, 07:51 PM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This is going to be largely a matter of personal preference. I have a matte finish scope on my Browning 52, had a gloss finish scope on one I recently traded off, and have a gloss finish scope on a Miroku Winchester 52.

I have no problems with a matte finish scope/rings on a non matte finished gun - it doesn't clash in my eyes, but the glossy scopes/rings look just fine to me also.

Again...personal preference. No rules.

Browning 52 with matte finish Weaver...glossy rings:

Last edited by pump .22s; 11-19-2013 at 07:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2013, 02:58 AM
Provincial

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
My Browning 52 wears a gloss Leupold 2-7 Rimfire scope. I like the retro look of the gloss as it matches the finish on the rifle. This was the style in the days of the original 52C Sporter, so I call it "period correct."
Old 11-20-2013, 09:38 AM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Not to muddy the waters...well, I guess my intention is to muddy the waters ...you have another option. For a true period affect, you might look for a steel-tubed scope. There are the old Weavers and Lymans, of course, but the Leupold repro of the Alaskan would look killer on a 52C repro. There are also the various European scopes that utilized blued steel tubing until quite recently, like Kahles, for example, though I believe most of them were 30mm. They don't seem to have held their value as much as the more modern looking Euro scopes, so they can be had for a reasonable price.

Good luck,

TBR
Old 11-20-2013, 10:29 AM
Gary O

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy bear rat View Post
not to muddy the waters...well, i guess my intention is to muddy the waters :d...you have another option. For a true period affect, you might look for a steel-tubed scope. There are the old weavers and lymans, of course, but the leupold repro of the alaskan would look killer on a 52c repro. There are also the various european scopes that utilized blued steel tubing until quite recently, like kahles, for example, though i believe most of them were 30mm. They don't seem to have held their value as much as the more modern looking euro scopes, so they can be had for a reasonable price.

Good luck,

tbr

huh? Your saying that I can dig up a scope with modern optics plus old timed looks? Thanks...
Old 11-20-2013, 10:46 AM
Kilmon

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Given the current trend away from gloss scopes & rings, if there's a viable option that's gloss I'll take it every time. I tend to keep accessories like scopes/holsters/etc. forever, and I think gloss just looks better on some rifles, so I'm trying to acquire a few while they're still available. If there's no gloss option that suits my needs I have no issue with matte.

TBR, thanks for mentioning the Kahles, I was totally overlooking them.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:14 PM
Thomasm
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Send a message via MSN to Thomasm
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDDY BEAR RAT View Post
Not to muddy the waters...well, I guess my intention is to muddy the waters ...you have another option. For a true period affect, you might look for a steel-tubed scope. There are the old Weavers and Lymans, of course, but the Leupold repro of the Alaskan would look killer on a 52C repro.

Good luck,

TBR
[I] put the Leupold Alaskan on both of my 52's (Browning and Winchester) for just that reason and they looked "killer". Also you get the added benefit of a 7/8" tube that clears the bolt throw nicely but the price for that scope is also a killer ! Oh well, price only numbers.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:50 PM
mgb8345
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (57)
Send a message via Yahoo to mgb8345
Forgive me for not replying strictly on topic. I also have to say I have been told that this looks terrible. It actually worked very well when I just wanted to check out the accuracy of this 52R on the bench. Thank goodness we all don't like the same things. Bob
Old 11-20-2013, 11:37 PM
Gary O

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgb8345 View Post
Forgive me for not replying strictly on topic. I also have to say I have been told that this looks terrible. It actually worked very well when I just wanted to check out the accuracy of this 52R on the bench. Thank goodness we all don't like the same things. Bob
That looks ok to me. I use an 8x32x44mm target scope for ammo testing...
Old 11-21-2013, 08:13 AM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgb8345 View Post
I like that....you haven' done anything permanent, so it can be taken off and the rifle is as it was. Pretty cool in my opinion.

Not as "far out" as this one.....my early 61 Octagon with a Unertl 2" Ultra Varmint. When I purchased the gun, the barrel had been drilled an tapped for period scope blocks and had a little period correct Lyman long tube sitting on it. And yes, the gun shoots very accurately....pushes 1/2" five shot groups at fifty. But like you, I was just testing the accuracy of the gun....not a permanent fixture.

But back to the topic....as stated earlier, putting a scope on a rifle is not just utilitarian, it is a matter of personal taste....especially with all the available varieties. Personally, I would be more concerned about being period correct if the gun is an original model 52. With the repros...not so much.

Last edited by pump .22s; 11-21-2013 at 08:16 AM.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:39 AM
dibop
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think the gloss looks better but I did put a RWS 3x9 AO air gun scope on my Utah Centennial.
It works great and can focus down to 10 meters for .22 novelty shoots at my club.
Happy thanksgiving to all,
DiBop