Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-14-2013, 06:01 AM
Jon2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Disappointing Sako Quad accuracy.

Dear all

Just wanted to gain your thoughts/opinions on the performance of my brand new Sako Quad Syn Varmint.

Basically I have tried an array of different makes of ammo including R50 and Tenex and it was Eley sub sonics which performed the best.

The target below was shot at 25 yards and I am very disappointed with it.

NB the bottom 3 groups were shot with the same ammo (Eley sub sonic) with a CZ Silhouette with a cheap Simmons scope, dreadful trigger and off a poor front rest.

If the Sako shot as the CZ did I would be very happy but as you can see from the groups, the patterns are quite erratic.

Has anyone else experienced poor accuracy from these rifles? I can't seem to find any negative reports accuracy wise about these rifles.

Any opinions welcomed:

Last edited by Jon2; 11-14-2013 at 06:15 AM. Reason: Spelling.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:52 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
If you have a torque wrench (inch/pounds) I'd recommend starting with your action screws at about 10 in/lbs and shooting two or three 5 shot groups at each setting slowly work up in 2 in/pd increments until the groups tighten up and round up. Most Quads are good shooters but not always straight out of the box. What you got with your CZ is what I expect from any decent .22lr, the Quad should be able to deliver.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:42 AM
Thomasm
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Send a message via MSN to Thomasm
If you want better groups than what your showing you need to buy a benchrest rifle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2013, 08:59 AM
Jon2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the info both.

@Thomasm

Every CZ I've had has out shot the groups displayed on the target above from this Quad. In my opinion it's not much to ask of a factory sporter .22 rimfire. These groups were shot at 25 yards not 50.

Last edited by Jon2; 11-14-2013 at 09:02 AM.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:13 AM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You mentioned a "dreadful trigger". Is it really that bad?
Old 11-14-2013, 09:20 AM
Jon2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That was the CZ's trigger I was referring to and yes the worst CZ trigger I've encountered. The CZ was a club gun which was available to all members.

All my CZ's have been fitted with replacement springs but even before that they have never been as bad as the trigger on this Silhouette last night.

The Sako trigger is very good by the way.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:29 PM
barsik

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
check the crown and muzzle very carefully, it may have been damaged during shipping or handling. that rifle should perform.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:18 AM
Jon2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Barsik

That's exactly what my thought was but wanted to offer it out for any other advice that might come back.

I had inspected the crown with a magnifying glass and couldn't see anything obvious but because the groups are so poor I am thinking that I should have it re-crowned as a matter of course to rule that variable out if nothing else. It maybe that there is a bur there that isn't visible to the naked eye.

Many thanks
Old 11-15-2013, 04:27 AM
Sir Ville
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Dissapointing Sako Quad accuracy

It should perform far better than that. Mine shoots 1/3" 10 shot groups at 50m/55yards with regular training ammo (SK & Norma) all day long. Tighter still if i really try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2. This POS iPhone sucks though ...

Last edited by Sir Ville; 11-15-2013 at 04:30 AM.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:03 AM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon2 View Post
That was the CZ's trigger I was referring to and yes the worst CZ trigger I've encountered. The CZ was a club gun which was available to all members.

All my CZ's have been fitted with replacement springs but even before that they have never been as bad as the trigger on this Silhouette last night.

The Sako trigger is very good by the way.
Sorry, I miss read you post. Thought you were saying your Sako trigger was dreadful.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:22 AM
plumbago

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lapua Plus Only two words you may need to know.....
Old 11-16-2013, 09:40 AM
moorepower

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
I would remove barrel and make sure there is not anything that would allow it to shift. I would also make sure the bedding area is clean and not allowing the action to move at all.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:17 PM
lopezel

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
My groups looked like that before I ordered this: https://www.jnpgunsprings.com/produc...products_id=12

You'd be amazed at how your groups can variate by playing with the torque on the action screws.

It was easier to notice the difference on mine because I shoot it with the 17hm2 barrel.

This was shot at 50 yards, outdoor range:

This was a few shots I took at 100 yards. Relatively fast shooting and the wind had picked up.

Last edited by lopezel; 11-18-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:35 PM
Jon2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the additional input all.

Groups have improved slightly after cleaning the barrel.

However they are still wide of being classed as tack driving.

The most accurate ammo seems to be Eley sub sonics currently. I shot ten 5 shot groups at 50 yards and outside to outside measurement averaged at .87".

Not bad enough to send the rifle back but hardly good enough to induce back flips in my underpants.

I take on board the torque theory. I was however hoping the barrel arrangement was not that fickle but could of course be the price one has to pay for a switch barrel rifle.

Furthermore I can't help but think a re-crown would improve matters. Something to consider.

Thanks again.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:25 AM
Sir Ville

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The switch barrel has nothing to do with it as long as it's working as intented and the barrel is attached correctly. Don't forget to check the scope and its attachment .
I suspect the action torque/inbedding IF everything's right with the scope/rings. I needed to add quite a lot of torque on the base to receiver- screw before i went for DIP weaver adapter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2. This POS iPhone sucks though ...