Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:11 AM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Merlin View Post
My sporter is a little homely compared to the example above but here it is. Probably a homemade gun but I am still fond of it.... With the rear of the receiver cut it is worth basically nothing except as a shooter. Not sure what it was starting out....

Your "homemade" sporter may have different, or what some would call "out of date," lines, but it seems the craftsmanship and execution is top notch, to me.

I agree with your decision on a sporterized 52C, and there are plenty of things you can do to "hot rod" one, it's just that they are usually not simple bolt-on modifications, like most of the 10/22 "mods." You've got custom bottom metal -- even hinged floor plates, barrel contour and chamber options, myriad iron sight options, custom, or even integral, scope bases, tang safeties, engraving, checkering, and, of course, any stock style and material that flips your switch. These may not make a 52 "better" to some, but they make it better for you.

I've been tied up on other projects, but this is a 52 repro I'm in the process of making better for me. The barrel is an extremely accurate, stepped octagon, Green Mountain with a Lilja chamber, and I plan to use a Brno Model 1 rear sight in that dovetail and fabricate a modified "spoon" bolt handle. The bottom metal is custom Blackburn with a magazine release in the trigger guard bow. It will be, by far, the lightest 52 I've ever handled, probably 1 1/2 lbs lighter than an original 52C sporter:

I've got this black walnut Bastogne blank set aside and drying for this project:

I think it will be "better" than a stock Browning repro

TBR
Old 07-23-2013, 10:36 AM
22AGS
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Crap, Teddy Bear, even the wood on your FLOORS is better looking than most stocks we see. That will no doubt be a spectacular rifle when finished.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:41 PM
Thomasm
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Send a message via MSN to Thomasm
The wood you're going to cut off of that blank looks better than anything I own, I wonder how many pistol grips you could make from the scrap.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:01 AM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
You are welcome to any scraps that I have when I cut the stock out. Unfortunately, I think it will a about 2 more years before that blank is dry enough to work.

TBR
Old 07-24-2013, 04:06 PM
1Merlin

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
To one with an open mind the options are endless.....