Impossible question... Which one - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:23 AM
Model 52
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I agree. I'd hate to see someone butcher a 52 or a 75 and think they were going to "improve" it. They won't.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:04 AM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
You'll have a hard time finding just an action and trigger for much less than an already-butchered-but-more-or-less-complete rifle. We've gone through this exercise a number of times here on RFC, and I've done what you're looking to do a number of times personally.

Probably the best way to get what you're looking for is to find a well-worn, or significantly butchered, 52C target rifle and strip and sell off the unneeded parts. This would get the cost of the action and trigger down to $300-$400, depending on what you realize from the sale of the barrel, stock, sights, scope blocks, etc. There are plenty of them out there that someone else has already modified, minimizing your complicity in the oft-claimed "crime against humanity"

The 52C is a repeater and has the wonderful Micro-Motion trigger, whereas the "B" triggers don't compare, and the "D"s are not repeaters. Any of them will require drilling and tapping the receiver. Lilja makes a very fine 52 sporter contour barrel that is lapped after it is turned down. Then you just need a front sight ramp, and one from a later Model 70 is about right.

The quickest way to a stock is the Browning 52 repro. In fact, there has been one (or more) stand-alone stocks on GB for quite some time. It's expensive and not a perfect drop-in fit, but it's very close, and anyone with any woodworking skills can make it work. Or, you can build your own custom stock from a blank with your choice of wood species and figure, if you're not interested in mimicking the original 52 sporter stock design.

Finally, be prepared to be flamed by some here for altering a 52 rifle, even if it is already butchered. It is a never-ending debate. Doing the same using a 52 repro action will mitigate some of the criticism, but there will still be some who will shake their heads and call you a fool.

There are many important details involved, but this should get you pointed in the right direction. I've actually measured all the dimensional differences and determined most of the fit and compatibility issues between the 52 repros and the original 52s, toying with the idea of posting them all here as a data base, of sorts, but, after we lost Kix, I haven't felt like doing it.

TBR
Old 07-22-2013, 10:38 AM
Old Man 58
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Or there's a 52 barreled action on GB for $350.00 IIRC.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:51 PM
1Merlin

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man 58 View Post
Or there's a 52 barreled action on GB for $350.00 IIRC.
Thanks for the info. I looked and it looks like a decent deal but..... I believe I will take the Teddy Bear's advice and go with a C Model.

I have a nice aftermarket trigger for a 52 but don't know if it will fit such an early gun and it is a very light trigger... Also I will be shooting the gun offhand and, if I understand correctly, the later models have a much faster lock time - which will help me with the offhand part....
Old 07-22-2013, 03:44 PM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
That's an old slow lock bolt in a much later receiver that should have a speed lock bolt, given its serial number, likely why the safety does not engage. Seems high with that inappropriate, mismatching bolt. It wouldn't be a bad basis for a nice squirrel rifle, since those rifles were very well made, but the "C" would be much better and require much less work to make into a nice sporter.

TBR
Old 07-22-2013, 05:25 PM
dbr65
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (238)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Merlin View Post
I already have one.. A 1937 Sporter with a very nice wood stock... But it has a 13" LoP and is set up for a very small or youth shooter. I really want something to redo and play with... (spend a boat load of money on).

You mean like this:

[IMG][/IMG]

A 1949 vintage 52B Heavy Barrel turned into a sporter with an English walnut stock, Lilja barrel and other bells & whistles by LeRoy Barry at Canyon Creek (that's the "boatload of money" thing!).

Doug
Old 07-22-2013, 05:29 PM
Thomasm
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Send a message via MSN to Thomasm
Wow !!!! I guess that answers the "can't make it better" comment.

Last edited by Thomasm; 07-22-2013 at 05:32 PM. Reason: addition
Old 07-22-2013, 06:49 PM
1Merlin

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr65 View Post
You mean like this:

[IMG][/IMG]

A 1949 vintage 52B Heavy Barrel turned into a sporter with an English walnut stock, Lilja barrel and other bells & whistles by LeRoy Barry at Canyon Creek (that's the "boatload of money" thing!).

Doug
I can certainly understand those who wish to preserve fine old guns....But....

Yes Sir. This is exactly what I am talking about....!

I would not do something as fine as the pictured rifle as.... one more time.... I am a shooter and carry around and actually shoot and play with my rifles. I would live in constant fear of damaging something so fine as the above .....
Old 07-22-2013, 07:07 PM
dbr65
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (238)
Oh, I actually shoot it. And it shoots! But only off the bench (even though it's not a bench rest rifle). I wouldn't take it into the woods for the reason you state, but I do love to shoot it. It has a superb trigger and will consistently do 3/8" 5-shot groups at 50 yards with SK Rifle Match. And I love looking at it and handling it. LeRoy's work is art! I have other "working" rifles, but I enjoy their aesthetics too.

Doug
Old 07-22-2013, 08:21 PM
papalondog
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Let's just make this simple. Get you a nice, but use Winchester 75 Sporter!! dba65 send that chopped up 52 to me. It really isn't all that hard. Don't "over think" it.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:38 PM
1Merlin

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
My sporter is a little homely compared to the example above but here it is. Probably a homemade gun but I am still fond of it.... With the rear of the receiver cut it is worth basically nothing except as a shooter. Not sure what it was starting out....

Old 07-22-2013, 11:56 PM
Old Man 58
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlysAlot View Post
So how do you make a 52 "better" again?
Sell it and get a 40X? Just kidding, just kidding
Old 07-23-2013, 07:58 AM
22AGS
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Merlin View Post
To the point - an impossible question. I want to buy a (single - just one) bolt action Winchester rimfire rifle. I don't want a 52 but I do want something that really has potential to be an excellent shooter. Is there any of the Winchester rimfire line that really is set apart with known accuracy potential and overall "rimfire coolness and sex appeal....."?

Not to offend anyone but Not looking for a collector but a shooter that I won't feel bad about modifying and/or replacing the stock/barrel/trigger on...if the mood strikes me.
Lots of answers. You don't want a 52, so you want a 75 with a six lands/groove barrel, peeps, and if you're lucky, has a grooved receiver. You should mostly look for an early 75 that has a well-done d&t already installed, that's what you're looking for. The 69A is a very good gun but the 75 is more good. With the 75 you can pretty much be assured of very good but not 52-level groups, with the 69A it's hit or miss, some are very accurate, some just average. If you really stretch out and find a 56 or 57 in decent shape, those are very accurate as well, but with a slower lock time. These were only made for a few years, long ago.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:28 AM
1Merlin

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Based on the feedback from here - and a quick look at Gunbroker Mdl 75s for sale $$$$- I am going to do a build a 52C homemade sporter type gun.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:05 AM
XLIV

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
52c cost is comparable to a 75 in my neighborhood. You may try looking for a 513 at the gunshows. Should be able to pick one up pretty reasonable as CMP was selling them couple years ago for 100 bucks. Or do a search for a 416. half the cost of a junkchester.