Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:09 PM
CZJedi
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
1885 Low Wall

I was on the Winchester web page, and saw the 1885 Low Wall (.22LR) listed, but can't find anything online. Does anybody know when these are expected to come out, or did I already miss them?

I really want a non-bolt action single shot, and this looks perfect.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:32 PM
Old Man 58
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I don't know when the low walls first came out but they are out there. Several of the members of this forum have one so maybe one of them will chime in here soon. I've always thought that a low wall would be a nice single shot rifle to have.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:13 PM
Roadrat
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
92% (7)
OUCH, $1,469.99 msrp...........................a little on the HIGH side for a single-shot .22 LR..........

Meanwhile, on the Winchester site there is a spot to find "dealers" in your area. You can always give the authorized Winchester dealers a call and see if/when they might get one in stock.

Luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2013, 07:31 PM
CZJedi

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrat View Post
OUCH, $1,469.99 msrp...........................a little on the HIGH side for a single-shot .22 LR..........

Meanwhile, on the Winchester site there is a spot to find "dealers" in your area. You can always give the authorized Winchester dealers a call and see if/when they might get one in stock.

Luck
The price is high, but not much higher than the Uberti reproduction. For a quality heirloom, I think it is worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 07-18-2013, 08:23 AM
Thomasm
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Send a message via MSN to Thomasm
I had one, a real sweetheart but accuracy was disappointing. I'm not the only one that found this about them.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:26 PM
CZJedi

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Wow, for that price, I'd expect a tack driver. Anybody know how the Uberti compares in terms of accuracy?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 07-18-2013, 02:17 PM
WIN-52
US Army Veteran GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CZJedi View Post
I was on the Winchester web page, and saw the 1885 Low Wall (.22LR) listed, but can't find anything online. Does anybody know when these are expected to come out, or did I already miss them?

I really want a non-bolt action single shot, and this looks perfect.
Winchester came out with the 1885 which was made in Japan about 10 yrs ago. They made limited additions of both the standard and the deluxe. They are now making the standard model again to the best of my knowledge. IMO they are way over priced as I paid a little over $700 for my deluxe model. There are five or six of these rimfires in our club and they are all very accurate. Nice thing about them is they all like Aguila ammo. We use them to shoot the 22 rimfire buffalo shoot. The used deluxe models (if you can find one) are going for $1400 . They are a great rifle and fun to shoot. Hope this helps...win-52
Old 07-18-2013, 06:52 PM
Old Man 58
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasm View Post
I had one, a real sweetheart but accuracy was disappointing. I'm not the only one that found this about them.
I have heard the same thing about their accuracy which is what has kept me from buying one in .22LR. I think a heavy half round half octagon barrel with a Schnabel forend and pistol grip buttstock with a cresent buttplate would be just about perfect.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:43 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrat View Post

Luck
I have my person bugging his people to get me one asap. I'm the "guy who will get the first one" according to my guy....unless of course some one higher up wants one. I do have a finder's fee in place of course for what it is worth. I been married a long time...I'm used to it.
My Rem 5 MM shoots well so I don't fell the need for a Savage at this point of the de-bugging stage.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:57 AM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Win-52,
I've asked this question here before, but could you tell me whether or not those Miroku-made Low-wall rimfires have an ejector? I've owned a couple of the earlier centerfire Japanese 1885 Low-walls (.22 Hornet and .223), and they had only extractors. I seem to recall that the Japanese High-wall 1885s had ejectors.

Just curious,

TBR
Old 07-19-2013, 10:15 AM
MK111

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
The original 1885 Winder Musket Military in 22 Short sell for 600.00 less that that. Of which I have one on the market.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:45 PM
WIN-52
US Army Veteran GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDDY BEAR RAT View Post
Win-52,
I've asked this question here before, but could you tell me whether or not those Miroku-made Low-wall rimfires have an ejector? I've owned a couple of the earlier centerfire Japanese 1885 Low-walls (.22 Hornet and .223), and they had only extractors. I seem to recall that the Japanese High-wall 1885s had ejectors.

Just curious,

TBR
Teddy- No ejector, just an extractor and that is the only fault I can find on the 1885. Kind of a pain to get your big fingers around the empty casing. My Granddaughter shoots it in the buffalo shoot also and she flips it open really fast and the empty flies our. I kind of cringe when she does that. Outside of that they are excellent rifle and loads of fun to shoot. -Win-52
Old 07-19-2013, 07:59 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
I've been Jonesing for an original Winchester low wall 1885, ideally with a half octagon barrel in 22 WRF, but 22 Short or 22 Long Rifle would do in a pinch. Seldom do I see such a thing, and even more seldom that I can pay the asking price for such a rifle. But we collectors really do live on hope!

BRP
Old 07-19-2013, 08:36 PM
ibboatin28

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDDY BEAR RAT View Post
Win-52,

Just curious,

TBR
I have one in 17 Mach 2. It has a selector on the back strap that you can switch so it ejects left or right.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:33 AM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Now I'm confused. I remember there being a deflector on the Japanese centerfire High-walls that would divert the ejected case to the right or left, but are you saying your .17 HM2 Low wall has an ejector and a deflector? As most of you probably know, the original Low-wall rimfires had a 180 degree, rimfire-specific extractor and a pretty effective and selective ejector, but I've not encountered another falling block design that featured an effective ejector. The EAB action appears to be good in this regard, but I haven't ever seen one. I did own a very expensive Miller falling block rimfire that wouldn't even extract spent cases very well, and I know the Ruger #1 rimfire conversions are iffy in this regard. The tight chambers I use contributed to the problem, I'm sure.

So, if the newer Japanese 1885 rimfires have a good ejector, I might buy one and rebarrel it. FWIW, my BSA Int'l MII has by far the best rimfire ejector I've ever used.

Just thinking out loud.

TBR