Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-16-2018, 02:32 PM
adamr19745

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
VQ Barrel vs GM and Kidd

I read some of u alls comments about kidd Barrels and green mountain. What are your thoughts on vq barrels as i can get one with threaded for about 20$ more than kidd

Sent from my LG-SP320 using Tapatalk
Old 10-16-2018, 05:35 PM
ShakeyHand

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wink

I love my VQ barrels. I have a snake fluted bull barrel that is very accurate. It is screwed into the receiver and very well made. My other VQ barrel is an ultralight carbon fiber tensioned barrel mated to a VQ aluminum Ruger style receiver with a traditional V block.

I also have two Kidd Supergrade rifles. One is a 20 inch bull barrel in the Kidd Magpul stock. The other is a 16.5 inch ultralight that is a fluted aluminum sleeved tension barrel. They are all excellent barrels. The Kidd Supergrade barrels are a great design. Ruger should have designed them this way from the beginning. For versatility, a Kidd Supergrade is the pinnacle.

If you watch his video, Kidd explains how he finishes the Lothar Walther rifled barrels. He uses a proprietary chamber reamer and back flushes while reaming so no cuttings can mar the rifling. He hand laps them and ensures that the chamber to bore squeezes the bullet to prevent it from yawing as it passes through this transition. It is impressive and results in a wonderful barrel. Tony Kidd describes how he makes his barrels

Of course, his triggers set the standard for 10/22s.

Volquartsen also starts out with Lothar Walther rifled blanks but I don't know as much about how they chamber and lap them. I suspect their chamber may be even tighter than Kidds. VQ says you have voided their warranty if you shoot CCI Stingers through them. Kidd says that you can but he doesn't recommend it.

The VQ ultralight is slightly lighter than the Kidd ultralight but they are both superb steel challenge barrels.

They are also very accurate, in fact, they are all more accurate than I can measure because I don't shoot benchrest...yet. I am very happy with all of them!

You can't go wrong with either.

Last edited by ShakeyHand; 10-17-2018 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:11 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Get whichever one you want the most and you likely won't still want something different later. (for that gun at least) I've got a GM 18" bull on a gun I built 11yrs ago, and I've never had any thoughts of changing it for something else. And its below all of these.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2018, 05:40 AM
Wiley Coyote
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_80 View Post
Get whichever one you want the most and you likely won't still want something different later. (for that gun at least) I've got a GM 18" bull on a gun I built 11yrs ago, and I've never had any thoughts of changing it for something else. And its below all of these.
He's right. I have no experience with a Volquartsen barrel, but if they're like everything else I've seen from them, I doubt you wouldn't be happy with one.

I have and have had several GM barrels in both Chrome Moly and S/S and have absolutely NO complaints. The one C/M Kidd 0.920 barrel I have is more than I can wring out accuracy to the max. The most distinct thing about it, is it required no break-in round count. From the get-go it's been amazing with CCI SVs making 0.208" groups at 50 yd groups at 50 yds! Over time shooting 10 shot groups at 10, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, and 50 yds it gives me and average group size of 0.282". That's a 0.538 MOA! I can't do that every time, but on a good day me and it will attract some attention at the Range.

Good luck and enjoy your decision without any doubts.

Last edited by Wiley Coyote; 10-17-2018 at 05:42 AM.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:33 AM
adamr19745

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think im going kidd for all my parts they are cheaper on all parts that i want. Thank for the replies

Sent from my LG-SP320 using Tapatalk